PDA

View Full Version : Too attached to my foster hammy

Coral
08-20-2005, 03:30 PM
I know I'm not supposed to get attached to the animals I'm fostering, but I've had Caramel with me since 31st July, and she's such a lovely hammy.

Nervous and timid, but she was coming over to see me, and had been brave enough to walk onto my hand. I let her run in the ball around my flat, and, for a few minutes, she didn't know what to do (I don't think she'd been in one before). Then, it was like "aha! sort-of freedom!", and she was off, running around my flat, and crashing into my furniture!

Today, she went to her new home - a lovely home, where she will get lots of love and attention - and she was very hard to part from. I keep finding myself looking over to the cage she was in and expecting to see her little face at the door :( .

I'm glad she has a forever home; I don't have the room or time to keep her permanently (hence only fostering), but I do miss her.

Must learn to become less attached to my foster animals :D . As it's the first time I've fostered, maybe I can be forgiven :wink: .

SnuggleHam
08-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Awww Coral, we certainly need more people like you who have the time and money to help hope homeless animals. I’m sure your little caramel hammy was very appreciative of what you did for her while she was waiting for a new home.

Iv seen many shows about people who foster all kinds of animals, and they always say its hard and you never get use to giving away an animal you cared for, even after a short amount if time.

I find it hard even breeding animals and then finding them homes because In my point of view I cant see how they could have a better life then what I am already giving them. :P

But I now how you feel, I sell my artwork, and like caring for animals a little piece of me goes into that work, but because I know selling my art is something I want to do I have to remember not to get attached to my pieces and to keep the expectation of letting it go.

But I’m glad you at lest happy with the new family, that always helps :)

jennifer01
08-21-2005, 03:10 PM
aw Coral, glad to see she has now gone to a permanent home :) shame I couldn't have her, but as long as it has worked out for the best. Things still are rocky at home, but getting better so you never know, soon I may have a new addition myself :)

You have done a great thing for her and you should be proud!!!

love Jenny