PDA

View Full Version : Romsey Cancelled - What a washout!

Bourne Valley Hams
05-26-2008, 04:48 AM
After gloating to our Blenheim comrades about the lovely sunny day at Romsey yesterday we have got our comeuppance!
The Romsey showground this morning is completely flooded and the show cancelled.
All we could do was pack up and come home again.
So sorry to those of you who made the effort to come and help us today and had a wasted journey.
So much for worrying last night because we had sold almost all our hamsters! :roll:
Big thank you to Louby for bringing my baby to me anyway - thank you too Basia, she is a real sweetie! :D

souffle
05-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Oh no what a disappointment for you all and bad news for the show too. :cry: That happened to Northern twice last year with all the flooding up north and it has a big impact on finances :cry:

NaomiR
05-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Oh no that's terrible, I'm so sorry for everyone who made the effort, what a total pain in the wotsit - honestly I don't know what the weather's up to right now???

So sorry, you must all be sooOoo dissapointed :cry:

Basia
05-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh that is such a shame for everyone involved. We were so envious of you yesterday too! Why does it always rain on bank holidays?

Big thank you to Louby for bringing my baby to me anyway - thank you too Basia, she is a real sweetie! :D

You are very welcome Sue, I hope she has a nice litter for you.

Thank you Louby and Hamster Widow for taking her to Romsey, especially as the show was called off. I owe you a very big favour!

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 07:40 AM
flooded?! there's not a drop of rain here. Very high winds though. Someone's ariel has blown away :shock:

Spuds Mum
05-26-2008, 07:59 AM
How awful, it does sound as though Romsey got today what Blenheim had yesterday.

The problem with these outside shows always seems to be the unpredictability of our English weather - as Souffle says, the two Northern shows cancelled last year really hurt the clubs finances, and I am sure that the same will prove true of Blenheim and now Romsey for the clubs.

What rotten luck all round. :(

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Thame was a bit of a washout the first day too. There was hardly anyone there the first half of the day.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Luckily Romsey was lovely yesterday. Nice weather, lots of people and brilliant takings for the club.
Infact we were a little concerned that we would leave a lot of people disappointed today as we only had 4 babies left to rehome out of the 27 we started with.
As a small bonus I won't need to sort out a tombola for the Andover show as I already have a boxful prepared!!

Bourne Valley Hams
05-26-2008, 09:35 AM
You are very welcome Sue, I hope she has a nice litter for you.

I'm sure she will be a star Basia - just like her name, although Katisha has told me I have been spelling it wrong - it is Yvaine not Evaine. I have checked the website and she is right!! Comes to something when your 10 year old starts correcting your spelling! :roll:

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
i have to say i'd be very proud if someone like BVH wanted one of my babies to breed!! :D

Basia
05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
i have to say i'd be very proud if someone like BVH wanted one of my babies to breed!! :D

Her dad is a Bourne Valley Hamster so she is going home really.

Spuds Mum
05-26-2008, 10:14 AM
But she is going home via Posh and Becks - so you should still be proud Basia. I love the Basia-boys that we have here with us :D the whole litter was lovely too :D

Moosley
05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Thame a washout? What kind of washouts do you guys have??? It wasnt raining! It was just ICY and Snowing and Sleeting... and for that matter.... strong winds, light rain and sunny spells and a rainbow too!

Its a shame but does it make any of you feel better if i told you that the weather was gorgeous between 10 and 1 on Saturday at Blenheim when I was there?? :x

How many hamsters did *you* go home with between Blenheim and Romsey then BVH? Im jealous of your little grey fluffster!

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 12:25 PM
i meant washout like a figure of speach, rather than actual water washing about :lol:

Mollz Mum
05-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Sunday was a really lovely day, very warm and sunny, with lots of people around. We showed the hammies and talked to lots of people about them and their care and we rehomed some lovely babies with some very nice people and were worrying about what we would have to offer on Monday.
After travelling down in some awful conditions, I don't know why I was surprised to be told it was cancelled - knowing what we had gone through at Thame and the Monmouth mud & rain, it just didn't occur to us that it would be off. But once we moved round to the tent, it was very apparant why. The ground was completely flooded, and in some places under 6-8 inches of water. And the rain wasn't finished yet!!!! :cry: Fortunately most the stock that BVH had left overnight had survived.
So we helped load up, sloshing through the puddles as we did!
It was such a shame, after a great previous day, but couldn't be helped.
Fortunately, just as we were leaving, Louby and HW arrived, so I did sneak a peek at those beautiful babies.
Had a bit of a nightmare journey home though - conditions were probably the worst I have ever driven in and we were very relieved to be home in the end.
Oh well, never mind. Typical bank holiday weather. And being typically British, it's time to dry off and look forward to the next one. Now, only two weeks to Andover....... :D

Louby
05-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Who wants to lay in on a Bank Holiday Monday morning when they can fight the motorway spray anyway? :roll:

Oh well...at least it was a successful day at Romsey yesterday.

It was lovely to see Mollz, Mollz's Mum, BVH and BVMark again anyway, and HW got some tips for our hamstery shed too! :wink: He reckons he can spiderproof it...so its all systems go! :D

Bourne Valley Hams
05-26-2008, 01:12 PM
How many hamsters did *you* go home with between Blenheim and Romsey then BVH? Im jealous of your little grey fluffster!

Shhhhhh!! I haven't told them all about her yet!!
Apart from the two you know about I only brought home my little black Yvaine that Louby kindly brought me from Basia.
As all on the sales table at Romsey were my own babies there was nothing to tempt me there - although I suppose I should introduce the ones that didn't make it to the sales table!
But that will have to wait! :D

Moosley
05-26-2008, 01:22 PM
although I suppose I should introduce the ones that didn't make it to the sales table!
But that will have to wait!

D'oh! You tease!!

Do you think there will be a hamster shortage at shows like London Champs and/or *possibly* Andover? We have/will have babies for London if anyone things they could be homes on a sales table.

Mollz Mum
05-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Shhhhhh!! I haven't told them all about her yet!!
Apart from the two you know about I only brought home my little black Yvaine that Louby kindly brought me from Basia.
As all on the sales table at Romsey were my own babies there was nothing to tempt me there - although I suppose I should introduce the ones that didn't make it to the sales table!
But that will have to wait! :D

No you haven't - I don't remember you mentioning her yesterday??!! :lol:

And we were so restrained - I thought that I would be bad, but Mollz had to be positively restrained from having that LH Black dom spot banded!! She was just sooo lovely and friendly -I had to keep checking her pockets :wink:

Still, we've got lots to look forward to this week, so we don't feel too left out.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Just incase anyone thinks we are making a fuss about nothing - this photo was taken by one of the cavy folk who were just round the corner from us!!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/romseywater.jpg

Mollz
05-26-2008, 03:55 PM
That picture just about sums it up!

In case anyone was wondering, that is a field - not a pond!

souffle
05-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Oh no that is awful. The poor wee guinea pigs are still in their pens too. What a nightmare. That is a bit like one of our shows last year when the dam was threatening to burst over the show ground :shock:

Matty Day
05-26-2008, 04:09 PM
: Fortunately most the stock that BVH had left overnight had survived.

some hams deid :?:

Bourne Valley Hams
05-27-2008, 01:55 AM
some hams deid :?:

No of course not!!
We didn't leave any hamsters there overnight - just cages & accessories etc.

Matty Day
05-27-2008, 02:08 AM
thats good. i get confused why do people usethe word stock for hamsters it gets on my nerves. 1 it makes them seem like objects and two you get them mixed up for cages and the like.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-27-2008, 02:11 AM
We didn't use the word stock to mean hamsters - you did!!! :lol:

Mollz
05-27-2008, 02:26 AM
We didn't use the word stock to mean hamsters - you did!!! :lol:

Yep, mum was reffering to stock meaning cages/accessories - not hamsters!

Mollz Mum
05-27-2008, 02:37 AM
That picture certainly tells the story.
The ground was perfectly dry and firm the day before. The water was just from rainfall overnight (and there weren't any leaks in the roof). You can see why it was cancelled.

I can't believe you thought hamsters had died Matty! :? You do make me laugh sometimes :shock:

The cages and sales items were a bit soggy in their boxes, but I'm sure there weren't any fatalities :lol:
Imagine how the poor traders with clothes etc. must have come off? Not a good weekend for them. :(

Souffle wrote "Oh no that is awful. The poor wee guinea pigs are still in their pens too. What a nightmare. That is a bit like one of our shows last year when the dam was threatening to burst over the show ground "

I'm sure that the guinea's were up on the tables overnight, out of the wet and had just been moved to that corner to allow for clear up. [/quote]

Bunsey
05-27-2008, 05:57 AM
blimey, you weren't joking were you! :shock:

not a drip of rain here!

Foreverhamsters
06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
i know it was terrible!!!!!
i got there at 9:40 in the morning after driving from a tent to our house back to near the tent to get there only to find out that the blumin thing was canceled when we arrived!!!!!