PDA

View Full Version : should you get campbells in pairs?

Ness
05-26-2008, 02:41 AM
should you get campbells in pairs? I'm hopeing to get some for my boyfriends birthday as he loves WW and would love campbells too but I'm not too sure if I should get a pair or just one by itself. I was thinking of getting males.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-26-2008, 04:57 AM
There is never any guarantee that a pair of dwarf hamsters will live happily together, whatever breed or sex. However, all will very happily on their own so don't feel you have to get a pair for companionship.

Ness
05-26-2008, 05:15 AM
I don't mind seperating them if I have to so I will see how a pair goes. I think they will be going into a gabber.

Bailey-Benji
05-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Every pair is different - some pairs will stay together, others won't.

I had to split my Campbell boys (brothers) at 6 months old. Now they have a Gabber each. They're cages are next to each other too, so they can still communicate if they want to.

sammys/mum
05-30-2008, 02:18 PM
My two live perfectly happy together. Though I have always had a cage ready if they do fight. I just have two of everything, I love the fact they are together though they love each other sooo much! :lol:

NaomiR
06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I love the fact they are together though they love each other sooo much! :lol:

Me too that warms me to my socks!!

Ness
06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
It looks like I won't be able to get a campbell for a while as I'm out of room, I went really robo mad laterly and might have a p@h accientent on the way but we will wait and see ( I sexed them when I got home rather than in store, I shouldn't have been so trusting :( ). anyway glad I got rid of the rotastak (I got rid of it partly for the campbells and the cleaning, so I'm gutted if I have a preggars robos unplanned atm) as it'll give me enough room for robos if needed if not I will be getting those campbells so wish me luck that nothing bad happens. though if it does I'm glad it happened to me rather than some kid, hope you understand that. I'll speak to tammy about it later anyway.

I really wanted campbells, but also the breeder that I was looking into was a con really so would like to have time to find a propper breeder for them, anyone? I don't mind travelling though I would need to know about pups asap so I can book train tickets (I'm getting really good with hamsters and trains!).

06-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I've just started breeding Campbell's but it'll be a good 2- 3 months before I have my first babies available.

I can recommend a Campbell breeder (Wellington Hamsters) near Luton, or in Woking (Surrey Hamsters) but they're the only two I know who have babies available at the moment. Alternatively, Melissa from Wellington Hams says she will definitely have argente babies for sale at the London Champs. :)

Ness
06-23-2008, 02:37 PM
thank you for the help, I will remember it. at the moment I'm thinking of ways to get more cages in my room. It'll work! though I think they will have to be bins but big bins, and everything else goes into the attic!

babyboos
07-02-2008, 08:17 AM
I would always if possible get a pair and yes they may not get on once they reach full maturity but it is something magical to see them interact and they do need the company - I have had great success over the years pairing up non-siblings but find if you do get siblings from the start it does improve your chances of them staying together longer - of course once they get old and one sadly passes over the bridge you do find they can pine and be a bit cranky with new cage mates so in these circumstances you are better letting them live our their days in peace and quiet with only yourself for comapny and lots of cuddles. I have had requests over the years to pair up hamsters from different litters due to colouring and sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't but I always made sure the person brought the hamsters back so we could try a different pairing where possible in the first instance before going down the live alone for rest of thier lives route. Different ages do work but same age is often best.