PDA

View Full Version : Little Snowy

evel_lin
04-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Can't quite believe I'm writing one of these so soon. We only adopted her just after Christmas, she was just over 6 months old. I don't want to talk about her passing, I feel so terrible and guilty about it. I hope it was quick and that she didn't suffer.

She was such a beautiful little girl. I'd never had a dwarf hamster before but from the first she stole my heart. She was shy at first and would squeak if people came near her but she was always so curious too. In the adoption centre she was peering through the glass to see what was going on. When we brought her home she would come up onto her shelf in her cage to say hello when she heard someone walk past and beg for a cuddle or a treat.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8076/8334072810_60e4d1d425.jpg

Last night she was exploring the kitchen work surfaces while I filled up the food bowls. She stole a couple of sunflower seeds from Sherlock's bowl which made me laugh

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8492569594_82a2497842.jpg

She'd been losing weight but with a change in mix and some supplements she was starting to slowly put it back on again. In the end she was taken a different way

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8550181213_09af9826d6.jpg

I'll never forget her little nose snuffling through the bars, or the way she would monkey bar across the top of her alaska and just hang there until I came to rescue her. She was such a special little girl and I just can't believe she's gone.

We've buried her in the garden underneath a pot of my favourite lillies. Sleep peacefully my beautiful girl

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8524/8615197939_b3092105c4.jpg

gutterglitterxx
04-04-2013, 12:34 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss... She was beautiful.
Run free, play well, and sleep tight Snowy. xx

HamsterCrazy2013
04-04-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. x

ElliotHamsterHeart
04-04-2013, 01:03 AM
RIP Little Snowy XXX

Chrissie
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss x

Kent Hamster
04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Rest in peace ! Snowy xx

souffle
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm so very sorry :( You gave her a wonderful life when she was with you.
Play well at the bridge Snowy xx

evel_lin
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Thank you for the messages. It seems so strange walking past where her cage used to be. I keep going to check on her at the times she usually woke up. MIL helpfully suggested we just "buy a new one" to my DH, glad I wasn't on the phone to her or I'd have had an equally hurtful response. No hamster can be replaced, they're all unique and special in their own ways and I'm so sad I'm not going to have any longer with my sweet little girl :(

Aimes
04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Your story of her sounds so similar to how we got our dwarf, just wanting some love!

Be happy for what you gave her and that she had a good time with you. She sounds like an adorable little one.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Xx

Noodle
04-04-2013, 10:28 AM
So sorry for your loss, little Snowy was a beautiful ham. She is lucky to have been rescued by you and given a wonderful life, however short xx

Nikkigrace
04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Sorry for your loss, Snowy looks like she was a truly beautiful lady and you clearly loved her very much. X

Arraminta
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
So sorry for your loss.. She was absolutely squishable...
You made the last few months of her life wonderful and filled with love..

Although no hamster or any animal can "replace" another one.. It can help to heal a hole in your heart. It has helped me.. My smudge died and then a little hammy needed a home.. No hammy will ever replace my smudge and I still walk past his cage with a sigh.. But then little Mitch pops his head out and makes me smile..
You will be ready one day for a new baby.. And people who think or say.. "Is just a hamster, get a new one" are the sort of people who shouldn't have animals.

Play well at the bridge little one.

Sending you a big hammy hug..

Arraminta x

Biscuit
04-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Play well at the bridge little one. You'll be missed. xxx

Younr017
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
those pictures are breathtaking so sorry to hear about your lose

Queen Of The High Teas
04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Sorry for your loss:(. What a beautiful little girl Snowy was, and very lucky to have been found by you. Take no notice of what your MIL said to you, anyone who says "its just a whatever, you can get another" has never owned an animal in their life, as if they had, they would know that nothing could be further from the truth, and could never make such a comment. Play well sweet Snowy xx

Petite1
04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Sorry for your loss of Snowy, she was a lovely little one and obviously well loved, well done for giving her a forever home now matter how short, your heart will heal and you will know when the time is right to get a new babyx Play well at the bridge little Snowyx

evel_lin
04-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Although no hamster or any animal can "replace" another one.. It can help to heal a hole in your heart. It has helped me.. My smudge died and then a little hammy needed a home.. No hammy will ever replace my smudge and I still walk past his cage with a sigh.. But then little Mitch pops his head out and makes me smile..
You will be ready one day for a new baby.. And people who think or say.. "Is just a hamster, get a new one" are the sort of people who shouldn't have animals.

That's how I feel too. At the moment it wouldn't feel right to get another hamster and I'm glad I've still got my boys to cuddle. We probably will get another hamster in time but it will be because we've felt a connection to that new hamster and are ready to open our hearts again. It might have been easier if she'd been old and it had been less sudden. I feel like I didn't get to say good bye :(

The Hamster's family
04-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Sorry for your loss... I sincerely hope you're soon able to think of her smiling and thankful for the moments you had togetter...

All hammie have a personnality and that's what we connect with. Feel free to feel sad; you loved her and you miss her. Nothing could be more normal than that. It will get better...

Play well at the Bridge, little one. Send a kiss to your mommy when you can...

Annie xx

Pompompoms
04-05-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm so sorry, Snowy looks like she was such a sweet adorable little lady. I have a feeling she will send a little fluff your way when the time is right for you xx

Victoriah107
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, too. Snowy reminds me so much of my little Sophie dwarf. Snowy was a beauty too! You gave her a good life and I'm sure she loved you too. Blessings to you :)

Pouches
04-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Play hard at the bridge Snowy! I'm sorry for your loss. Although it's not a replacement, sometimes filling the hole that's left when we lose one is the best medicine to help heal our heart.
Snowy will always have a place in your heart, and rightfully should. You should think about it like this, you need something to fill your time and take the love that you were giving Snowy.
I know I would have been lost when a bunch of our hammies passed on to the bridge if it weren't for the hammies that we still had.
Of course this is just my opinion, only you will know what to do to feel better, and when the right time to own another pet will be.
Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, thankfully the memories will always be there.