PDA

View Full Version : Byebye Lena

beccagood95
03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
The bit about Pets at Home (In bold) isn't worth reading really, so anyone feel free and skip it. :)
I just really wanted to write it out as it was part of the day.

Lena wasn't really supposed to be mine, but it just turned out that way and I couldn't have been happier about it.

Me and my boyfriend had gone out to Pets at Home, just so I could hunt for a birthday present for my dog, Smash. I hadn't been to Pets at Home much, but this time I decided to spend a bit more time looking around.
I'd always wanted a Hamster, but I'd been too young, and as I got older was too poor to buy one for myself.
I came across the Hamster section and fell in love with ALL the hamsters. They were either rubbing their sleepy eyes or bundled up in the corner sleeping. I knew I couldn't buy one as I didn't have any money. However, my boyfriend felt the exact same way that I did, and he certainly had the funds. So he decided to go for it.

Before picking out the hamster, we picked up a Hamster list and went around the shop getting everything we needed. A long time afterwards, we looked for an assistant, but we couldn't find one.

Every time we found an assistant, they were helping someone else. We waited around for them to finish, but all the people were taking there time picking out pets or buying products. We'd been in there for an hour. We were both tired and frustrated.
I said to my boyfriend that we could just buy the stuff and go back another day to choose a hamster. So we bought the stuff, and left, feeling slightly angry.

However, on the way back, we walked past this small pet store that I occasionally visited. I couldn't believe that I had completely forgotten about this store. I took my boyfriend in, went right to the till and asked if we could buy a Syrian Hamster.

A male assistant took us to the hamsters and picked a cage and opened it. At first, we couldn't see any hamsters, because they were all tucked away, asleep. The assistant took off the lid of their bed and 3 little hamsters looked up at us.

Lena instantly stood out. The other two hamsters either side of her were golden, but she was beautiful Sable hamster, with two long blonde tufts sticking out either side of her back.

We got her to my boyfriends house, and set everything out for her. She was a little frightened, but it was clear she was very energetic. We were unsure of the sex as the pet shop hadn't told us and we'd forgotten to ask, and we weren't very clued up in Hamster knowledge. So my boyfriend decided he'd call her "Tank".
That very night, she peed on my hands and all over her free vet appointment sheet.

I went home, knowing that I was going to miss her, but I would have gotten to look after her in a month when my boyfriend went on holiday.

The next day, I got a phone call from my boyfriend. It had turned out that his mother was having a rather bad allergic reaction to the hamster and couldn't even get out of bed.

As my family had a reputation for taking in pets that couldn't be looked after and as he knew that I loved that Hamster, he knew that I could look after her.

I was so happy, and cleared away room on my desk just for her, and cleared out a box to make room for her things. I had a feeling she was a girl, so renamed her "Lena".

Throughout her life, she was so energetic. It was difficult to keep her in one place. When I took her out of her cage, she would never want to snuggle up, but climb all over me and go exploring elsewhere. I never really got to take many photos of her.

She loved her exercise ball, and all I had to do was open the top and she would climb right in.

She was also quite the climber, and loved to swing from the top of the bars of her cage.

At one stage of her life, her favourite thing to do was escape.
One night, she managed to escape three different times.
Once, she pushed open the top of her bed (which was connected to the top). The second time, she'd found a wide bar and squeezed herself through.
To this day, I'm still not sure how she got out the third time....

She'd always taken a liking to my mum. Every time she came into the room, my hamster would stand up on her legs and just stare at my mum, and my mum would always come over and speak to her for a bit. I think she enjoyed visits from my mum.

She never worked out how to use the wheel. In her old cage, she just spun it from the top. She didn't even bother with it in her newer cage.
When I bought her the new cage, all she wanted to do was climb through the tubes, and I would often find her asleep in there. A few times I thought she was stuck, but she was just chilling out.
Even when she was in her last days, very tired, hungry and ill, she would still climb through her tubes.

The one thing that I will always remember her for is leaving her mark on my coat.
I made the accident of leaving my coat on the chair, with the corner of the coat in the bars of her cage. I awoke in the morning to find it all nibbled. At the time I was angry at myself for leaving it there. Especially as the coat was only a day old. But now I wear it happily, because it reminds me of her and of her special personality.
I don't have many pictures of her and they aren't the best quality, but here you go:
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/attachments/hamster-healthcare/13640d1364131144-i-think-she-might-dead-img_0137.jpg

Also, my boyfriend's interpretation of Lena https://www.facebook.com/ajax/messaging/attachment.php?attach_id=37490bd3791c6937dce979701 48a9f07&mid=id.446243458732055&hash=AQA4sDBoY86vKxwM

And the day she came to her forever home.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGZvbi4CEAAa31X.jpg

Lena, it's hard to fall asleep now, as I got so used to hearing you nibble away at the cage and your food at night time.
Rest In Peace.

Pouches
03-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Awww, I'm so sorry. She was such a beautiful hamster and I'm sure you gave her an amazing life full of love and plenty of good things to eat (which is really all a hamster wants)
I don't think Lena would want you to be sad, she was called to Bridge and knew it was time to go.
Lena would want you to be happy and take comfort in all of those memories you and your boyfriend have of her.
I'm sure there is still plenty of love in both your hearts to find another baby and make many more happy memories. It's what we all do as hammie owners.
I hope this helps bring you some peace and comfort.
Play well Lena!

Lloydhammy
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
aw sorry to hear :( -hugs

The Hamster's family
03-28-2013, 05:52 AM
I'm very sorry she had to leave you... I sincerely hope that you find hapiness remembering of those great moments spent togeter happy. Hope your heart will heal soon and that your sleeping patern returns... Hugs and kisses...

Sleep well, little one... Enjoy the Bridge and the nibbles things you'll find there xxx

Annie xx

HamsterCrazy2013
03-28-2013, 06:08 AM
Im so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful hamster. xx

neily
03-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Sorry for your loss, she was gorgeous, rip lena.

Kaztrekie
03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
So sorry for your loss run free at the bridge little one

Buttons
03-28-2013, 12:45 PM
R.I.P Lena :( So sorry for your loss. x

CoolcatNatNat44
03-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Sorry for your loss R.I.P Lena x

Lougarry
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
So sorry for your loss. Play well at the Bridge, Lena x