PDA

View Full Version : Simple DIY food/treat bench

Dornen
03-27-2013, 01:38 PM
I got a bit sick of the cheap plastic food bowls getting knocked about all the time so I decided to make a simple food bowl bench~

You will need:

Ikea GLIMMA tealight holder (GLIMMA Tealight holder - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00114167/)) or something similar.
Wood - 1.25" rough cut poplar OR about a foot of 1" by 3" finished poplar or other small animal safe wood
Optional: 1/8 or 1/4" poplar for bottom and non toxic glue.
2" spade bit, forstner bit, or hole saw
Drill press OR electric drill.
Sandpaper
Miter saw OR miter box and hand saw.
Appropriate safety gear for working with wood and power tools.
Material Cost: 25 cents per bowl and about a buck for wood.

Construction

If you are using rough cut lumber, rip it down to 3" long by 1" thick.
Mark a center line along the wood, then mark out the margins and layout for the holes. Check the diagram I've attached for a better idea, drill where the red X's are.
Cut to length, about 8" if following my measurements.
Drill out the holes. This is easier with a drill press but can be done with a regular drill. Take your time and be careful. Hole saws in particular can really heat up so be mindful.
OPTIONAL: If you aren't going to be placing the bench on a shelf or hard surface, you will need to add a bottom. Cut the 1/4 or 1/8th wood to match and glue it to the bottom of the bench.
Sand everything down to remove splinters and any pencil lines.

Tips

You can do this without any large power tools (except the drill) but most wood shops will have a drill press. If you have a friend that does, ask to use it, it will make things much easier.
Rough cut wood is cheaper, if you have access to a planer its a good way to save a few bucks.
I didn't bother sealing or finishing this but you could. Make sure whatever you use is non-toxic.
Ikea also sells a larger version of the tealight holder if you wanted to make a rat or guinea pig version.
If you can't get to an ikea, try a dollar store or somewhere that sells kitchen things, dip bowls work well for these too. You may need to adjust the measurements.
If your pet is still throwing the bench around, fasten it to bars with a bolt, washer and wing-nut.
Try a local lumber yard instead of a big-box retailer for wood. They often have a much better selection and may even offer good deals on seconds or small pieces.

Kissa
03-27-2013, 01:57 PM
That looks really cool :D

Pouches
03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Very nice, might I suggest instead of poplar maybe applewood? Just a thought of course :D
Keep up the good work!

Queen Of The High Teas
03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Very good, I love it:D. Someone should tell Ikea that they don't half make some good hamster accessories:mad: