PDA

View Full Version : chinese hamster and a rody?

Ness
05-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Would it be ok for one chinese hamster to live in a rody?

Bunsey
05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
yes, as long as you give lots of climbing toys :)

Ness
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I've just looked on p@h website and they say a rody is ok for two dwarfs, though I'm not sure, are their sizes (hamster wise) ever right?

Is there anywhere cheaper to get a rody?

Spuds Mum
05-23-2008, 03:07 PM
£30 seems to be the going price wherever you look, although my local garden centre recently obviously overstocked and so reduced a lot down to £10! But Ive never seen them as cheap as that anywhere else :(

Bunsey
05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
lots and lots come up on ebay all the time. it's worth waiting. even if you hav to pay £10 postage, you can usually get them for £20 total.

Also, try checking fo "hampster" with a P cos dumb people list stuff like this excellent 99p Duna under hamPster :roll:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hampster-Cage-USE ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hampster-Cage-USED-FOR-ONLY-2-DAYS-FROM-NEW_W0QQitemZ320255217732QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1286QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Ness
05-24-2008, 09:12 AM
it's a shame that most of them are pick up only. I might end up getting one from p@h.
hamsters have been expensive this month. I would have added 7 hamsters into my house, with new cages and toys and stuff. I want to get to a point were I don't have to buy any toys and that for a while. (I don't have a campbell though, and would love one, lol)

Matty Day
05-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I use Rody's for baby chinese after seperation - they're like monkey's on the roof bars :wink:

Ness
05-26-2008, 05:33 AM
I know I said I might get a rody for a chinese but would a FERPLAST DUNA FUN HAMSTER CAGE be ok? I was just wondering if the bars are ok?

Matty Day
05-26-2008, 05:38 AM
i keep one of my chinese adults in one the bars are fine for a robo :x

Ness
05-26-2008, 05:41 AM
ok thats good as sometimes I change my mind on cages once I get them and tend to have loads of robos. though I think this will be good for a chinese as it can also climb on the bars a bit. Though I have a few toys in mind, whats the wheel like?

Spuds Mum
05-26-2008, 07:44 AM
ok thats good as sometimes I change my mind on cages once I get them and tend to have loads of robos. though I think this will be good for a chinese as it can also climb on the bars a bit. Though I have a few toys in mind, whats the wheel like?

the wheel on the Duna Fun Ness? Ive only had winter whites in mine - but found the wheel that comes with it drove me mad - noisy, and flimsy, wherever I tried to put it it banged on the bars, or the plastic. we ended up changing it for our girls, but have to say, we did find it difficult to fit a large wheel in ours - they slide about on the plastic shelves but wont fit on the bars. And big syrian size wheels are difficult to fit because of the shelves.

Thats just my experience though, and I love the Duna fun cage in the main - we just got a wheel on a stand and then wired the stand to the bars to keep it from sliding around. :D

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 07:47 AM
yeah, i've had robos in one so chinese will be fine and they'll love the levels and tubes! the wheel does suck though. you can fit a regular silent spinner on the shelf on a stand.

Matty Day
05-26-2008, 07:49 AM
ive taken the top shelf out with mine as it was a pain in the neck to check the water bottle. ive given louis more toys as compensatoin thougth :x

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 08:04 AM
yeah i took my top level out, too. i could then attach a regular SS to the bars. i put my water bottle on the bars. one of those habitrail ones that clips on.

Ness
05-26-2008, 09:24 AM
does it come with a hamster bedroom, I know its not needed but I can't tell on the website. and has anyone ordered from here before ?http://www.feedem.co.uk/

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 09:33 AM
um, yeah it does come with a sand bath and a plastic house, but i took both of those out and used my own wooden hut and corner sand bath. it comes with rubbish Sippy Bottle that unless your hams can use (mine can't) you'll need to replace.

I've used www.feedem.co.uk (http://www.feedem.co.uk) twice and it was a very good service. nice 15kg bags of HH :D

Spuds Mum
05-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I havent ordered from there before, but from what I remember it does come with a little house. Quite a small one, but Im sure it would be big enough for a chinese hamster :D

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 09:37 AM
I havent ordered from there before, but from what I remember it does come with a little house. Quite a small one, but Im sure it would be big enough for a chinese hamster :D

i can tell you've never had a chinese. they make bigger nests than syrians :lol:

Ness
05-26-2008, 09:41 AM
ok thanks, well I'll order one in a few days time, I'm still waiting to get my zoozone which has almost taken 2weeks to get here but I want to set that up first.
I should be getting another gabber next week as well. and then the hamsters to go in each of them and toys!
Yay! hamsters!

also I just want to know if the bar bit can be removed if needed, it looks like it can?

Spuds Mum
05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
i can tell you've never had a chinese. they make bigger nests than syrians :lol:

I can tell you've never had a Madabout syrian :x :x :x sorry only joking - I haven't had chinese you are right, so am happy to be corrected - and Im not very keen on hamster bedrooms as a whole anyway :D

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
LOL! nope, that is true, i haven't :lol:
chinese are very secretive little dudes and i give mine 2 huts. one for sleep (syrian-sized) and a smaller one for stash. They'll most likely bury the hut, too.

yeah, the bars can be removed, but then you can't attach a water bottle unless you use the sippy.

Ness
05-26-2008, 09:48 AM
yeah I know what you mean, its just some of my robos are very fusy and won't sleep without one. :?

Spuds Mum
05-26-2008, 09:52 AM
yeah I know what you mean, its just some of my robos are very fusy and won't sleep without one. :?

aww and Ive never had robos too, apart from two WWs Im a syrian girl through and through - but whenever I see a pile all squashed up on top of each other in a house/cave or even silent spinner (ELC) then I become a fan of houses :D

Im sure you will be happy with the Duna Fun - its a nice well made cage. :D

Matty Day
05-26-2008, 10:04 AM
yeah, the bars can be removed, but then you can't attach a water bottle unless you use the sippy.

erm yes you can you can tape a bottle on or jam the cage aginst a wall to hold the bottle :x

Ness
05-26-2008, 10:09 AM
well I do have a flat bac that might work. but hopefully I won't have to remove the bars :) I'm sure it'll all go fine.

NaomiR
05-27-2008, 06:04 AM
I've never ordered from them but their duna's are £10 cheaper than I paid for mine AND I got a discount :roll:

Oh and I use the sippy water bottle holder with a normal mouse bottle held in place by an elastic band :wink:

sarahh
05-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I like the Duna cages I have to say theres something about them.