PDA

View Full Version : Could This Work?

linford27
03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
So, I have been doing some thinking after seeing a Hammy Garden on here. I can't do that because we have no way of connecting the cage to outside and foxes are a real problem where I am, but I have a similar idea. If I got a big Wilko's storage bin (plastic) and lined it with cardboard and soil, then planted some seeds and grew it outside in the bin, then bring it inside for Bilbo? And he could use it inside? Thing is, I don't know if a. it would be big enough to grow plants b. What soil is safe c. What seeds are safe and d. if it would take ages for the seeds to grow and 5 minutes for Bilbo to destroy them. Or if he would like it at all. So I am just looking for opinions or comments really! Any help is appreciated!

Linford
x

Kaztrekie
03-25-2013, 11:19 AM
For some reason I have visions of him burrowing deep down in the earth and tunnelling digging up plants etc ....but I could be wrong a garden does sound a great idea but likewise I have no idea how to go about a indoor one? I will be watching tread with Intrest good luck.

kyrilliondaemon
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
We've grown seeds for the hams. Ebay sells some that're a variety of rodent safe ones so we got those and grew them indoors in sand since we didn't have any soil lol

Lougarry
03-26-2013, 02:32 AM
I think it sounds good, but prepare for lots of mess. If I give Dinah a pot she goes nuts digging and it's such fun to watch. I use sterilised topsoil from my garden centre and the hamster seed mix from shelledwarriors on eBay. They thrive on neglect, luckily, and grow really easily especially in poor soil, so it's not upsetting when your ham digs them up.

I also grow indoors as I'd worry about my dog peeing on them, or garden pests getting in, if they were outside.

Don't let them get waterlogged though. Probably best to drill some holes in the bottom of the tub for drainage.

shiny
03-26-2013, 04:14 AM
I would grow it indoors too to keep bugs & parasites out. Sounds a great idea :)

linford27
03-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for advice everyone, Lougarry very helpful I will deffo look into shelledwarriors seeds, and some topsoil. Will B&Q topsoil be safe? It doesn't say anything about being sterilised or having fertiliser in it? I will grow it inside then, all I need now is the money! I should be able to start the project by the end of next week!

Lougarry
03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Here's a link to the shelledwarriors seed:
SW Hamster Seed Mix- Grow your own food 50g BULK******* | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SW-Hamster-Seed-Mix-Grow-your-own-food-50g-BULK-/190321514699?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item2c500bd8cb)

I've also just seen that they sell a kit with (small) tub and soil included if that's easier :):
Grow Your Own Animal Food Inside - Tub, Soil & Seeds | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grow-Your-Own-Animal-Food-Inside-Tub-Soil-Seeds-/360375943836?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_I nsects&var=630016312676&hash=item53e814829c)

I'm not sure where B&Q source their topsoil. I guess you could bake it in the oven, as with kids' play sand, if you were concerned. It doesn't matter if it kills soil nutrients as well as bugs etc as the seeds grow best in poor quality soil :)

ercvt
03-29-2013, 06:20 AM
The soil is a good question, and I don't know for sure. I would assume an organic soil with no chemicals ( Not miracle grow or anything) would be fine. Any plant that is OK for them should be ok to plant. Get seeds, start them in little pots and then transplant or start them in the bin with a top to keep them moist and warm and they will sprout rather quickly. I would let them grow for at least a few weeks. If you want something fast, grow a grass that is safe. That is our plan. If you go to the original garden thread, you can look for the plants she used or go to a safe plant list, and find those as seeds. Parsely is easy to get, a safe grass, peas grow super fast too! I plan on doing this, so we can keep each other posted! Growing season is just starting in the US (Mn) but even if it is winter or ending where you are, you should still be able to force things.

ercvt
03-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Don't let them get waterlogged though. Probably best to drill some holes in the bottom of the tub for drainage.

I think you can even put some rocks at the bottom and just don't over water. Once they are growing just misting them with a spray bottle will work fine with an occasional larger amount of water.