PDA

View Full Version : Diary Of A Hamster

hamster _hayley
08-15-2005, 05:06 AM
Hi if you have read my introduction (http://www.candacebell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531) then you will know I am getting my first ever hamster. Below I will be writing a diary about how we get on with each other, events and other things. Any advice or tips you would like to give please do.

13th Aug

Went to Pets at Home to start buying stuff for my new hammy which includes:

Disenfectant

Nesting material

Water bottle

Hammy Book

Food Dish

and a play log with lots of holes

I am also bidding for an IMAC Fantasy cage on eBay which has 3 days to go. Hope I win :)

babyboos
08-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Which hamster book did you get Hayley? Does the nesting material look a bit like cotton wool? If so please take it back and get the paper stuff - it may not look as soft and comfy to us but it is far safer for our hamsters. Fluffy bedding as it is unaffectionately known is a dangerous and lethal product - it can be ingested by the hamster causing internal blockages and creates threads which can amputate limbs - really nasty :twisted:

hamster _hayley
08-15-2005, 06:20 AM
The book I got is called "Your Hamster" and it is really good. The bedding is like a cleaning cloth cut into little squares. Is that all right to use? If not I have kept the receipt.

babyboos
08-15-2005, 06:54 AM
No the cut up J-Cloth type bedding is fine it is made from 100% vegetable fibre.

hamster _hayley
08-15-2005, 07:04 AM
good I was getting worried. I've also heard that you can't use newspaper with Hamsters. Are you allowed to put a couple of sheets under there shavings?

hamster _hayley
08-15-2005, 10:09 AM
15th Aug

Been outbid on original cage. I have bid on a same make but i will have to wait 6 days to get it .NNNNOOOO

hamster _hayley
08-16-2005, 06:55 AM
16th Aug

Get in delimma about IMAC cage and bin cages. AAAHHH. So many choices!

Later:

Come up with idea, make a bin cage playground and still have the cage!

Email Rodent Palace Rescue about adopting hamsters.

Email back from RPR saying we can come round to have a look at hammy's they sound dead friendly. Just need to convince parents. Wish me luck!

SnuggleHam
08-16-2005, 06:57 AM
If you can get a bin then I saw go for a bin ;)

hamster _hayley
08-16-2005, 08:15 AM
If I don't get the cage on eBay I'll make a bin cage.

hamster _hayley
08-16-2005, 11:03 AM
16th Aug

Got lucky! My mum said yes! :lol: She said we can go down this weekend or Friday afternoon!

Sent reply to RPR, saying that we can have a look.

pophammy
08-17-2005, 03:41 AM
I would not put newspaper or any paper with ink on it in as it could be poisonous. You don't need it anyway - try and get a potty for your hamster. If you can potty train them it means you don't have to clean out the whole cage so frequently, just change the potty litter every few days. Are there any breeders near you as the hamsters are likely to be healthier and tamer? Have you seen on the NHC website that there are 60 hamsters in the Midlands in need of new homes, including some babies? Where are you?

hamster _hayley
08-17-2005, 07:43 AM
17th Aug

Going to have to beg mum for dosh to buy bedding and feed. Going to check out the shop down the road. I'm sure they sell the stuff. Wish me luck. Still in the lead for cage on eBay. Haven't had reply from RPR.

hamster _hayley
08-18-2005, 12:46 AM
18th Aug

Got reply off RPR! They say we can go and have a look on either Friday afternoon, or Sunday. Hammy here i come! :D

babyboos
08-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Oh good luck I am sure a little one will pick you just take your time and don't worry if they are a little sleepy - try to go as late in the day as they will let you.

hamster _hayley
08-19-2005, 12:48 AM
19th Aug

Phoning RPR today going on Sunday afternoon. Can't wait!

SnuggleHam
08-19-2005, 04:35 AM
Yay Hayley, I hope you have also discussed with your parents about the responsibility of taking the ham to a vet if it ever needs it. Make sure your mother is willing to pay a vet bill over a hamster before you run off and get one. I know your excited but since you cant afford a hamster on your own and your mother/parents need to pay for the hamster for you make sure that they are willing to pay any vets bill if need be.

If they wont, then you are old enough to know what is the responsible thing to do.

hamster _hayley
08-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks Candace. Don't worry I have had a word with my mum and we have both agreed on sharing the vets bills. She's quite looking forward to it. She just doesn't show it that often. Thank you again for telling me Candace. :lol:

SnuggleHam
08-19-2005, 07:13 AM
Hayley, I didn't mean to lecture, but I just find a lot of younger people rush into something like this even if they do know their parents wouldn't care to pay a vet bill for such a small animal, so I just wanted to make sure that was sorted out, glad you have already talked about it. Maybe you can convince you mom to join the forum and read around a bit :P

hamster _hayley
08-20-2005, 02:59 AM
It's alright I'm not mad at you for lecturing :D . I know what you mean about rushing into it. Don't worry I have taken almost 2 weeks of preperation for my hammy :lol: