PDA

View Full Version : Low Bin cage bottom and mesh upper half idea?

ercvt
03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
As I stroll through this forum, all I seem to see are bin cages that are ALL bin and just mesh on a side for opening. What about using a bin that is already low on the sides - 8 inches or so, and then going up from there with a dome or rectangular and making levels? Sort of like the "cool" tube homes that the big pet stores sell?

Is there something that doesn't work well with these? Too many ways to escape? Too hard? Just wondering. If there is a thread that I missed, you can just link to it instead of a long reply if you like. :)

GhostsInSnow
03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
A lot of people go for all bins as it means you can have deep substrate for hams that like to dig. Also with it being all bin it's sturdier and there's less chance of escaping.
I suppose it depends on how you go about doing it really

vanilla-yazoo
03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
i use one of the short bins like you describe for my robo, with a material mesh lid, he has never tried to get out, but my chinese in the same set up chewed the material and made holes in it, she is now in a tall bin.
you could keep the plastic lid and drill holes or add mesh to the lid, but tbh, itl promote chewing plastic and mesh and wouldnt be the best option, one a little taller is better, mine are really useful 64 liter boxes, they are not 'too tall' but work well for syrians and dwarfs :)