PDA

View Full Version : judging your own hamsters!

Bunsey
05-22-2008, 03:51 AM
I just had a thought about something. What if you're a judge and you come across someone else's hamster that is one of yours originally... that you bred and sold, if you see what I mean.

Would you be able to recognise them straightaway and also, isn't it tempting to be biased because everyone thinks their hamsters are the best!

Like if BVH was judging and Oscar was in the show, wouldn't it be tempting to be like "oh, this is one of mine... an extra 10 points!" :lol:

Does this happen? I mean judging your own, not adding points on :lol:

souffle
05-22-2008, 04:02 AM
I imagine it happens all the time that a judge has bred a hamster, but when a judge is looking at a large entry they are unlikely to remember or recognise their own really. All good judges will judge to the standard and not take any account of who has bred them or owns them. It is a position of trust and responsibility and an honour which I would not expect any trained judge to abuse. Everyone will have their own personal preferences and interpretations of course but they still all judge to the standard.

Spuds Mum
05-22-2008, 04:13 AM
I think it is more the case that it may happen subconsciously - like a judge has a hamster on the judging board and thinks "gosh this looks just like my Fluffy used to...." and of course, as the judge/breeder will have been chosen Fluffy because he was good and been breeding Fluffy's offspring to conform to the standards, then the hamster on the board is more likely to correspond to the judges interpretation of the standards anyway.

Does that make sense? It does to me, but I'm having problems getting my brain into gear today :oops:

Bunsey
05-22-2008, 04:18 AM
yes, that's exactly what I mean Spud's Mum!! You put it much better than me! a breeder would breed what they think is a good standard and therefore when they see their own, they'd think ooh this is a nice one just like the sort I like to breed. that's what I mean. I wonder if that happens.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-22-2008, 04:22 AM
It does happen to an extent but you really try to block out the thinking and just judge what is in front of you. I try not to look at the pen label, except when I just want to check if something is in young stock, as seeing which ones are entered in junior, novice, intermediate or breeder can be a bit of a giveaway. If you judge or book steward at a lot of shows you do get to recognise certain hamsters and know whose they are.
I really try to be objective and just judge to standard, but the judges personal preference will always come into play - the trick is the learn where the judges weakness lies and enter accordingly!! :wink:

Bunsey
05-22-2008, 07:57 AM
ooh I hadn't thought of the whole novice/junior thing. At a few shows I was the only novice in the show, so it was clear which hamsters were mine! not that the judge would've known that, but hamsters from a novice are going to be from someone else or if you see it's not in the breeder class it's someone else's. interesting that. I hadn't even thought of the duplicate classes giving things away!

if you judge young stock, is it taken into account in a way that they are smaller? because I am entering 2 young hamsters who are smaller and I wonder if they'll be marked down for being small or whether the judges thinks well they're in young stock so they aren't small for their age?

How do you spot certain judges weaknesses then? is it like "oh, he always gives big ones high points or she likes Goldens or something?"

Bourne Valley Hams
05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
if you judge young stock, is it taken into account in a way that they are smaller? cos i'm entering 2 young hams who are smaller and i wonder if they'll be marked down for being small or whether the judges thinks well they're in young stock so they aren't small for their age?
It depends on the judge - but most will make allowances.

How do you spot certain judges weaknesses then? is it like "oh, he always gives big ones high points or she likes goldens or something?"
Exactly that. I could tell you what each judge likes....but then I would have to kill you. :wink:

Gust0o
05-23-2008, 05:56 AM
really try to be objective and just judge to standard, but the judges personal preference will always come into play - the trick is the learn where the judges weakness lies and enter accordingly!!

That's been one of my key learnings, since I started showing!

babyboos
05-25-2008, 04:15 PM
The majority of judges will probably make allowances for age an may make a comment on the potential which makes it worthwhile showing a young hamster, which will not be able to really compete on even footing with mature larger examples, even given allowances, but it does help you know if your eye is working and you are learning how to interpret standards correctly etc.

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Ruby Lou got a YWP - young with potential :D she only got 70, but she is small and pale yet. Her size and colour will develop when she gets older.

Orchid, my other young un got 73.5! :D