PDA

View Full Version : Mocha has a lump

Holly
05-22-2008, 01:11 AM
I noticed it last night while handling him, it's on his back to the left of his spine just above the hip joint. It's firm but not rock hard but quite large really, though difficult to see, just obvious when you feel it. There's no redness, wound or pus and he hasn't had an injury that I know of. I didn't feel it on Monday evening or over the weekend when handling him but could have missed it if I held him underneath - so I don't know howquickly it's come up.

He isn't unwell, he's eating, drinking and moving about as normal, he's been a bit doddery for some months now (he's 19 months old) but there's nothing new in his behaviour.

My question is what do I do? Do I take him to the vet? Or do I leave it until he becomes unwell? I think, realistically, that it's a tumour (I've seen a lot of tumours and abscesses in humans and this isn't an abscess) and given that he's an aging hamster and that it's so close to his spine I don't think there'll be anything they can do for him. Is there anything else it could be? Would a steroid injection help him or is that wrong as he doesn't seem to be suffering? I certainly wouldn't put him through any invasive treatment even if it were offered (which I doubt) and I think he's happy and not unwell just now, he hopped onto my hand like a young 'un last night, bless him.

Mocha is my first hamster and both Will and I love him and just want to do what's best for him?

Bourne Valley Hams
05-22-2008, 01:40 AM
It does sound as though it may be a tumour. :cry:
Some grow pretty quickly but others quite slowly and the hamster continues to have a good quality of life for several months. Personally I would not seek to have a tumour removed from a hamster over 18 months old, surgery is so risky for hamsters and an oldie may well not survive it. Spoil him rotten and keep your fingers crossed that it is one of the slow ones.
You will know when it is causing him problems.

BatKat
05-22-2008, 01:44 AM
One of our Syrians had a spinal tumour and we took her to vet and they just kept an eye on it and then were ready when the end was near. There isn't anything realistically that can be done but at least it will put your mind at rest that Mocha has been seen and maybe a steroid injection could ease the discomfort.

Jen

PinkEmily
05-22-2008, 01:49 AM
I would take him to the vet just to confirm what it is, but the vet will most probably say tumor, but he could be like Chip and it be a non cancerous tumor, Chip was given a couple of weeks to live but shes still here 6 months or so later. She was just over 12 months when the lump appeared and shes nearly 2 years old now. I was told to take her back to be pts when she looked as if she was in pain.

Louby
05-22-2008, 01:54 AM
I would say, go with your gut feeling on this one.

If you are happy that he is not in any pain, then as BVH says, just spoil him and give him lots of extra love and cuddles (as if you don't anyway! :wink: ).

If you are worried about it though, maybe take him to the vets for your piece of mind?

Holly
05-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Thank you for the advice, guys, it's much appreciated.It does sound as though it may be a tumour. :cry:
Some grow pretty quickly but others quite slowly and the hamster continues to have a good quality of life for several months. Personally I would not seek to have a tumour removed from a hamster over 18 months old, surgery is so risky for hamsters and an oldie may well not survive it. Spoil him rotten and keep your fingers crossed that it is one of the slow ones.
You will know when it is causing him problems.

Thank you, BVH, that is exactly how I feel and spoiling him rotten is exactly what I'm going to do. Mocha loves his comfort (extra bedding!) and he loves sweet things (dried fruit and yogurt drops) which he'll be getting extra of from now on. He also likes sitting on me while I read which he'll be doing every night from now on when I go to bed, bless him. He has the most beautiful calm nature and is such a darling, I hope he knows how much he is loved.

I'll see how he goes over the next few days, if I feel it's enlarging quickly, I'll seek the vets advice. Obviously when the time comes that he's getting poorly I'll also take him then.

In humans, generally, the older you get the more slow growing tumours are (though obviously there are still the very fast growing ones), is that the case with hamsters? Also are there often benign tumours? I still wouldn't have a benign tumour removed surgically at this age but it's likely to be slower growing and not spread if it's benign.

souffle
05-22-2008, 02:38 AM
I think you are doing absolutly the right thing for Mocha Holly. You can sense when something has changed enough to make your hammy not enjoy life anymore so you will know with little Mocha. Our Runty had an abdominal tumour and we took him to the vets. They said to bring him back when he was no longer enjoying life and he lived till he was 3yrs and 2 months. He died in his sleep peacefully and still seemed to be enjoying life up till the end. Lots of love and treats and a close eye on him. If the lump had been discrete and not near the spine it may have been worth a go but the recovery is so prolonged for a hamster that I'm not sure it's worth it to gain a few months. Here's hoping Mocha keeps well and graces you lives for a lot longer. :)

Spuds Mum
05-22-2008, 05:10 AM
I totally agree with just helping him have a wonderful life, lots of treats, lots of attention, lots of pics, and no stress of vet visits until you really feel it is needed. xx

Mollz
05-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I also think that you are doing the right thing for little Mocha here. I don't see the point in stressing the poor boy out with a trip to the vets, when you already know what they are going to say.
I know that you know Mocha well enough to be able to sense when he is suffering, so you will be able to do the right thing when this time comes - but until that point, the boy definitely deserves so extra loving and lots of treats :D

Holly
06-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Well the good news is it doesn't seem to have got any bigger and Mocha is his usualy (slightly doddery) self and is eating, coming out etc. I think, whatever it is, it's slow growing and not causing him any problems just now, thank goodness :)

Spuds Mum
06-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Good to hear that he is doing well Holly. Long may he continue doddering around xx

Louby
06-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Awww bless him. Sitting on you listening to you read is obviously doing the trick! :wink: Great News! :D