PDA

View Full Version : Baby Robs - lots of questions

Coral
08-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm currently fostering various small furries for GBH Rescue in Kent, which arrived 31/07/05 - the day they were rescued. Among them are a breeding pair of Roborovski hamsters, Silver and Shadow. The female, Silver, gave birth on Thursday 11th August, and poor Shadow has been renegaded to a corner :( .

All of them have largely been left alone since the birth, as I was informed the mother might reject them if the babies are handled? Is this correct? In a couple of weeks, or just over, we plan to check them, and try to sex them :shock: .

When the babies are old enough, we're going to split the males from the females, and split Silver from Shadow (Shadow will go in with his sons). Do you think this will work all right? Or should Shadow be kept alone? How many can live happily together? Should it just be two, or are more OK together?

I've never kept Robs before, and am not too sure what to do, although Silver seems to know exactly what to do :D . Therefore, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

babyboos
08-14-2005, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't leave it too long to sex them as it is easier just as the fur starts to grow in - at this stage you can still see the nipples which is the best way to distinguish between males and females under 3 months old. Ten days roughly is when I touch them for the first time - although I do know my hamsters very well indeed. I did take in 44 rescues recently and had 6 litters from them in quick succession and they all let me sex them in this way with no bother. Keep their diet very high in protein and it tends to disuade them from cannabilism. As for splitting them into same sex groups this is best as they need company and dad will be fine with sons.

Coral
08-15-2005, 12:55 AM
What can we feed them that's high in protein? With young ratties, we've fed them EMP (an egg-based bird food). Is this OK for the Robs? Or should we use something else?

babyboos
08-15-2005, 02:16 AM
I have never used the bird food you mention sorry but if the rats eat it okay I would imagine it is okay for hamsters - tofu, plain boiled chicken, mealworms, steamed white fish, quinoa and millet grains are all good sources of protein. Do you feed your rats mealworms? They are delicious and nutritious for our little rodent friends - you can get them in many petstores.

Coral
08-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Thank you; I'll sort one or two of those out for Silver and Shadow.

Mealworms... no. I'm a bit squeamish, and I don't think I could do it :? . I have to run past the little insects in boxes in the pet shops now, so I don't think I'd be any good with mealworms. I don't think the ratties suffer though - they get a huge variety, as they have a great tolerance and love of human food :D .

babyboos
08-15-2005, 04:30 AM
Mealworms (http://www.candacebell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529)

If you change your mind this is a quick start guide to do it yourself mealworm farming :roll: :?