PDA

View Full Version : Queenie, Barty-Boy and Robin-Mouse: A sad week at Vectis

Vectis Hamstery
03-08-2013, 06:18 AM
This week hasn't been a good one at Vectis as three furries have gone to the bridge in quick succession.

Queensway (27/04/11 - 04/03/13)
Queenie was the first to leave on Monday. She was born here, daughter of Angel Islington, granddaughter of Ruby Duchess and the end of the line. She was an only child and was an opinionated girl. She was a sweetie on the judging grid but a little madam at home! She definitely felt showing was her calling, and even on the last vet trip she sat with ears held nicely on the examination table. She spent most of her show career eclipsed by her mum, but did manage one COM and overall BIS at Real London after her mum retired. She was just coming into her own when she developed an eye tumour, just like her mum, which progressed rapidly. It was a hard decision to put her to sleep as she still had some quality of life with painkillers, but I didn't want her to get to a stage where the meds weren't working and she was suffering.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/2012%20show%20hams/L1140663.jpg

Bart (10/1/12 - 7/3/13)
The decision to have Bart put to sleep was easier in a way as he was unable to walk, and therefore unable to eat or drink, as he'd lost the use of his back legs. The vet thought it was probably a stroke. I am amazed he made it to almost 14 months old given his problems.
Some of you may have read Barty-Boy's threads. He was a rescue ham, handed in with his relatives in a cage covered in clingfilm. On arrival aged 4 weeks old he looked like a zombie hamster and was mostly bald through ammonia burns. He was a fighter and survived against the odds, but had a residual head tilt, squint and wobble. He developed diabetes aged 6 weeks old and some obsessive licking behaviours which the vet felt were also neurological problems from being a hybrid. As he couldn't use a wheel due to his wobble, he frequently had overgrown nails which needed trimming.

He came to me as a long-term foster, but I fell in love and adopted him! He never let his long list of problems slow him down and adored his sand bath (but still looked like a scruffpot). He was originally an orange ham, but decided to sport a fetching white coat for winter. Bart did live for quite a while on the same shelf as Queenie and loved her from afar (I'm afraid she tended to give him "what are you?" looks), so I suppose it's not surprising he didn't want her to leave him behind.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/Bart/L1150057_zps44f3fc50.jpg

Robin Goodfellow (01/03/12 - 08/03/13)
Robin was a harvest mouse who snuck into my carrier at Houten last year. I was amazed how much personality could fit in such a small body. He adored his silent spinner and his food, and would have bursts of activity throughout the day and night (as my friend discovered when she shared a room with him!). He didn't approve of the hamster room and sulked terribly so had to move back into the living room.
He had been looking a bit older and had to move to using a water bowl instead of his bottle, but it was a surprise to find him lying under his log this morning as he'd been dashing around ok last night. At least he didn't suffer, and had lived a life full of toys and noms.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/Robin%20Goodfellow/L1180579_zpsbd4bc34d.jpg

shiny
03-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Oh Vectis what a sad time for you :( & to lose three such big characters all at once. I will especially miss your updates on Robin Goodfellow, he was the first harvest mouse I ever heard anything about.

Best wishes,

shiny

jesselle
03-08-2013, 06:51 AM
night night all three!

and a little kiss for bart, who i followed on here eagerly :)

HammieandMerlin
03-08-2013, 08:32 AM
oh my goodness, I am so sorry, I have to say that Robin was the first mouse on here that caught my eye, I loved his thread. I am so sorry for your losses <3

fluffydd
03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry. Sounds like they were all wonderful critters with lovely personalities xxx

Pompompoms
03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Oh Vectis, too many in such a short time :(:(. Play well tiny little beauties xx

Lloydhammy
03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
so sorry! :( they were all very cute

iwasbornwright
03-08-2013, 04:27 PM
So so sad! Got tears in my eyes :(

Play well at the bridge little furries!

Hope you're okay Vectis Hamstery.

Hugs, Becky xx

Arraminta
03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Vectis.. I am so sorry for your losses this week..
How are you coping?

They were beautiful :0)

Big and gentle squishes

Arraminta xxx

kyrilliondaemon
03-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm really sorry for all the losses Vectis. The memorial for Queenie made me smile, she sounds like she was a great girl and I'm sorry Robin is gone.
Bart was special to me, one of two hybrids who've offered hope when I'm worried about something. In Barts case, knowing about him offered some hope when I confirmed diabetes in one of our own hams. Now I've had time for it to sink in and become a normal part of life, but at the start of this Bart was a real little figure of reassurance and I definetly appreciated that. I'm glad he defied the odds for so long and am sorry he's gone now

vanilla-yazoo
03-08-2013, 05:13 PM
i am sorry you have lost them they where beautiful hun x run free beautiful little angels x you will be missed x

Hamtastic
03-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm so sorry--I don't know how you're dealing =/ So much sadness in a short time. HUGE hugs!!! Tofu said if you need cheering up, he'll have me send you a photo of his cheerful chubby clumsy self.

Rest in peace, little ones.

chulasweetchica
03-09-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm so sorry for loss if your little furry baby's. so sad. Rest in peace little ones.

souffle
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of three such special characters. They were all unique and I enjoyed hearing about them on forums and seeing their pictures and stories. They will be much missed.
Play well at the bridge Queenie, Bart & Robin xxx

Petite1
03-10-2013, 04:34 PM
so sorry for your losses, play well at the bridge little onesx

racinghamster
03-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Sleep tight little ones, you were all lovely. x

AliKati
03-11-2013, 02:34 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss of your little ones. Play well over the bridge. xx

Ceretrea
03-11-2013, 03:21 AM
A sad week indeed. Barty boy did so well to get to his age given the state he was in when he arrived. You gave him a wonderful life, thank you :)

Run free Queenie, Robin and Bart xxx