PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Poppy

I_am_plankton
05-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Poppy isn't very well at the moment. She lost her teeth a couple of weeks back so has been on a soft-diet, and in the last few days has gone downhill.

She has been wobbling a bit as she walks, and fell over the other evening and I had to help her back onto her feet. She has a nasty swelling near her back end, all the way around. It feels a little bit squishy, and I lost a hamster to pyometra last year who also had this sort of swelling. However Poppy isn't bleeding or giving out a discharge, so perhaps it is a closed pyometra? Her stomach is firm but not too hard like Lily's was.

I am thinking it could be a tumour but I am not sure. She is only eating small quantities and has stopped drinking that I can see. I have just made up a Dioralyte solution with very weak sugar-free Ribena and force-fed her 1ml through a syringe.

I am keeping an eye on her but if she deteriorates then I will have to think of doing the right thing for her :(

Holly
05-19-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm so sorry, Leanne, I know you will do everything that is best for her, I really hope she's ok. This is the saddest thing about owning and loving pets :(

Mollz
05-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh Leanne, this just isn't fair that you have to go through this so soon after Rue.

I'm keeping my fingers drossed that it is just an infection or something that will heal quickly.

I know you will do what is best for her and make the hardest decision if that time comes.

My thoughts are with you and Poppy xx

Spuds Mum
05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Oh I am so sorry to hear Poppy is not well. I know you are doing everything possible for her, and you can bet your bottom dollar Poppy knows this too.

*hugs to you*

Lolo
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
so sorry to hear poppy is poorly. she knows shes loved and puts her trust in you xx

souffle
05-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I am so sorry to hear Poppy is ill. She does sound very poorly and I know you will know in your heart when the time comes that she might need a little help to take her steps along the last journey. Hold her, tell her she is loved and if she needs to go she can. They often wait till you tell them you will be OK.
I am thinking of you and hope when her time comes, whenever that is, her path will be gentle. :cry:

Basia
05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Aw Leanne, I'm so sorry to hear Poppy is unwell. Thinking of you *hugs*