PDA

View Full Version : Show pen measurements?

NaomiR
05-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Louby has sent me a great picture of show pens but could someone tell me what size they should be please?

I have a friend who makes lots of guinea pig things he might be able to make me some, is this allowed or do you have to get "official" ones?

I_am_plankton
05-19-2008, 06:48 AM
You have to have official ones as they are all the same design and size etc, and they all have to be the same colour.

I would just hire pens for your first few times before deciding to buy some as they are quite pricey new and Pete doesn't have any second hand ones at the moment, just to see if showing is for you.

Holly
05-19-2008, 06:56 AM
You certainly used to be able to make your own - I have several old books that list the measurements and tell you exactly how to make them to NHC specifications!

Perhaps, if you are really keen to make your own, ask Pete Logsdail if you can? Then I'd be happy to photcopy the instructions I have for you.

NaomiR
05-19-2008, 07:03 AM
oh thank you that would be great. It's just that I've always made and used my own things for my own guinea pigs, I understand things could be a bit different for hammies but durely if I made them to the specific size and everything it would be okay?

I will definately be hiring for Andover, just thinking about the future, as I tend to do.

Holly if you could send me instructions that would be faberoony, also how I can contact this Peter fellow everyone keeps talking about :D

My e-mail is [email protected] it might be easier x

Holly
05-19-2008, 08:07 AM
I'll photocopy the instructions for you tomorrow - it looks very complicated to me but if your friend is used to woodwork it probably won't to him!

You can contact Pete to find out if you are allowed to make your own via the TowyVale website:

http://www.towyvale.co.uk/frame.html

If you are, it might be best to buy one to make sure that any you make are absolutely identical. The only problem is that Syrian show pens are in very short supply just now, I think they are having some more made, hopefully in time for Andover.

BVMARK
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
The dwarf showpens are not too bad to copy as long as you get the right sized mesh, but the syrian show pens are more difficult, as the wire front is made up of very thin bar and welded up before it is bent into shape(the gentleman who makes the showpens has made a jig to get the curve just right).
I'm not sure you will be able to re-produce these without some problems.

Bunsey
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
i wouldn't even try anything more complicated than cellotape and bluetac! :lol:

05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
For those of us who have no DIY skills at all, how much do Syrian pens cost new? Are they in short supply too at the moment?

BVMARK
05-19-2008, 12:45 PM
For those of us who have no DIY skills at all, how much do Syrian pens cost new? Are they in short supply too at the moment?

I think they are around £9 each give or take 50p

Bunsey
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
i'm sure they were £9.50 at Alcester cos i remember thinking "blimey, can't afford that" and not buying any :oops:

05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Ah, so does that mean they sell them at shows then? I'm wondering if I may need to buy two for my handsome Smarterone/Marteser boys. :)

I_am_plankton
05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
They usually have them, they are being made at the moment so no stock but Pete should have some soon.

I usually buy second hand refurbished ones but they don't have those at the moment, and someone who was selling them second hand was selling them for the same price as new which is a rip off!

Louby
05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Syrian Show Pens are £9.50 and Dwarf ones are £6.00 (i've been emailing Pete ordering ours :wink: )

NaomiR
05-26-2008, 11:18 PM
me too (thanks Loubs :wink: ) and I've ordered 3 syrians and 3 dwarfs - but I don't think you really need to order them ELC he says he'll be at Andover with a "decent supply" :D

besides I'm going to borrow pens for this show then I can play with my new ones all day, how sad :roll:

BVMARK
05-27-2008, 09:12 AM
me too (thanks Loubs :wink: ) but I don't think you really need to order them ELC he says he'll be at Andover with a "decent supply" :D

Only if I go to pick them up this week :wink: :)

05-27-2008, 11:57 AM
me too (thanks Loubs :wink: ) but I don't think you really need to order them ELC he says he'll be at Andover with a "decent supply" :D

Well, I've reserved from Pete 3 Syrian and 2 dwarf pens to buy at Andover so it looks like we all need to be VERY nice to Mark and promise to buy him lots of tea and coffee at Andover. :wink:

BVMARK
05-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Well, I've reserved from Pete 3 Syrian and 2 dwarf pens to buy at Andover so it looks like we all need to be VERY nice to Mark and promise to buy him lots of tea and coffee at Andover. :wink:

Tea, no sugar, not too much milk :wink: