PDA

View Full Version : Guide for making bin cage with dremel in U.S.?

ArabianMagicat
02-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Hi ya'll,

SO I think I am going to try to make a bin cage tomorrow for my future robo hamsters! I have the bin (I think its 32x19), and it was the biggest I could find until I went to big lots and found a clear 110Quart bin for $14 :rolleyes: So I think maybe I will practice on this one, and then buy the 110Quart one when I get paid on Monday.

Anyway, after reading about how people made their bin cages, a dremel tool seems to be the most effective from what I read. I have absolutely zero knowledge of dremels, or how it works/cuts the plastic. If anyone knows where any guides are with details on making a bin cage with a dremel, that would be great:wink: Or maybe I should just google how to use a dremel in general..

Sorry, I am DIY challenged!! :confused:

SprinkleHamster
02-21-2013, 07:12 PM
I totally just used a Drimmel for our bin cage! Ours unfortuntaly is borrowed and broken; it only had two speeds- on and off. It had a heck of a kick and it took me both hands to hold it steady but in the end it went ok. I started practicing by making small circles in the tub i was going to use for entry and exit points for tube extenstions. I used this tutorial D.I.Y Hamster Cages and Toys - Mythic Hams (http://mythichams.webs.com/hamsterdiy.htm) for some reference. I then pproceeded to plan plan and plan. I am thankful because I had an awesome handy dad and a younger brother who were super excitied to join in the planning and creating process. I cut out some holes but i was amazed at how much I had to stabalize the tube and the drill. So I would practice cutting by making small little holes where you want bigger holes till you get used to it. I found that cutting small bits and kind of eating away at the edges worked better than trying to take out chunks.

ArabianMagicat
02-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks! :D Yeah I am 50 dollars poor-er than I was when I woke up this morning :rolleyes: I bought a cordless dremel, and the battery doesn't last but so long, but now I can work on it all weekend and hopefully be ready to get my robos on Tues :D Luckily this one doesn't have much kick! So I'm taking out the big chunk in the middle, then I guess I'll grind down the edges and then sand them :)