PDA

View Full Version : How to make a hammock?

squishyhammy
02-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Having introduced pasta to his new cage (Alaska). He's started climbing. I am nervous he's gunna fall and badly hurt himself as its quite tall. As shop hammocks are expensive I wanna make my own. What material should I use? And what trypsin of string?

~Bell~
02-15-2013, 05:23 AM
I know these are for rats but if you make them slightly smaller these home made hammocks would work great:)
http://http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-rat-hammocks (http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-rat-hammocks)

Hope this helps:)

Nush
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
You can use a kitchen towel and tie the ends with some hemp or jute rope. I made one and used a knitting needle to make a whole in a fabric and passed through a hemp string. I braided the strings but you can keep it simple, if you like: http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/37657-easy-peasy-hammock.html

iwasbornwright
02-22-2013, 03:46 AM
So glad I found this post! I'm worried that if I make a hammock for Wolverine, he might get his claws stuck in the material and hurt himself... would this happen?

squishyhammy
02-22-2013, 06:07 AM
I'm in process of making one for pasta :). I doubt he will get his feet caught In material I'm using 2 different materials in mine

Charlottington-K
03-02-2013, 03:51 AM
I would use fleece (e.g. from a blanket), just simply cut out a square and make 4 holes in each corner then cut out 4 little strips of fleece thread them through the holes and tie to the cage :) xxx

Charlottington-K
03-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Also just check there are no holes in the hammock and replace when necessary :)

Kaztrekie
03-03-2013, 04:00 AM
I did same used a kitchen towel added holes and tied to cage looks great sam loves it.

Though its funny how much food he can get up there :)

Scampi16
03-11-2013, 05:58 AM
I did same used a kitchen towel added holes and tied to cage looks great sam loves it.

Though its funny how much food he can get up there :)

Is kitchen towel strong enough, i would of thought that it would just rip under the strain and weight of the hamster/
Or have you used it for dwarfs as i really can't see it last for my syrian (and he's not that big).

Piermont
03-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Mine took about 10 minutes to make and is probably as simple as one can get. I found a thick, cotton shirt that I don't wear anymore and cut out a rectangle the length of Piermont's cage and about six inches wide. Then I cut a second layer from a fleece blanket to laid it under the cotton layer. I cut five holes (one for each corner and one close to the left side at the back, to keep it anchored to the cage bars.) Pulled some strong, natural hemp through it and tied it to the bars.

lucyeleanor
03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Is kitchen towel strong enough, i would of thought that it would just rip under the strain and weight of the hamster/
Or have you used it for dwarfs as i really can't see it last for my syrian (and he's not that big).

I thought that, but I think they mean towels, as in hand towels, opposed to kitchen roll :)

emilyweb
03-17-2013, 03:48 AM
I make all my own hammocks on my mums sewing machine, I'm working on different designs at the moment, but a basic flat hammock is really easy.

You need a square of material and a square of fleece that are the same size (old blankets are awesome). You sew them together and then turn it inside out. You them can use a ladder stitch to conceal were you've sewn it up, or sew all the way around the outside again,this also has the advantage of strengthening the hammock if you have a chewer.

Sorry thats a really basic description, but I hope you get the gist :)

Kaztrekie
03-17-2013, 03:51 AM
Ok I was wrong I used a kitchen towel and sam decided chewing t apart would be fun have removed the and made stronger ones from a thick tablecloth doubled over and sewn ,these are much better he doesn't chew them :)

Kaztrekie
03-21-2013, 07:12 AM
By kitchen towel I mean teatowel :)