PDA

View Full Version : Toilet tunnel -dwarf behaviour question

Nush
02-07-2013, 04:50 AM
I recently got a rescue hybrid hamster who is 3 months old. He’s my first dwarfie:D and he’s a lovely friendly hammy.

I’ve noticed some behavioural differences with my Syrian, one of which I wanted to ask about. I give him a good amount of substrate in his cage and he builds tunnels under them. But I noticed he doesn’t have a toilet corner, more like a toilet tunnel. Is this usual? It’s harder to clean the tunnels and I usually have to find them first!!

I cleaned one of his tunnels but now he’s not using that one anymore and has moved to another. I still have to find it. He’s still a new hammie so I don’t want to move things in his cage too much. I wish he’d make it easier to spot clean though.

littlescruffies
02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
The dwarves ive had have always weed wherever they liked. Never in one place like a syrian.

Laurenxxx
02-15-2013, 04:49 PM
My dwarf has a potty but she doesn't use it she mainly just pees and pops where ever she feels like it. I've been trying for around 6months to get her to use it but its not happening

Nush
02-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for replying guys. I've tried to figure out where he is weeing in the cage but there is no obvious smell anywhere. The only place he's weeing currently is his wheel. I'm guessing that has become his toilet for now:(.

Lauren, I've thought of training him but not sure if it'll work. He seems to have a mind of his own.

Laurenxxx
02-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Nush mines is the same the only wet part in her cage is her wheel I've checked everywhere else at various times in the day and everything else is dry. I think as long as you keep cleaning the wheel it should be a problem xx

littlescruffies
02-17-2013, 03:10 AM
I've potty trained Syrians but never dwarves. As you say just leave them to it and keep washing the wheel :D

Cathii
02-17-2013, 06:46 AM
My robo always pees in his wheel a lot, sometimes his sand bath but anywhere really. I don't think it is easy to potty train dwarfs unfortunately.