PDA

View Full Version : So undecided

neily
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
I am still not 100% sure about adopting from p@h, because I understand that their dwarfs are hybrids and hybrids are prone to more health problems. This scares me because I don't want to see the poor hamster suffer, I have also read that they have a shorter life span :( this makes me wonder if i should get robos or not? Ahhhhhhh I just don't know.

kyrilliondaemon
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
If its any help, the majority of hybrids will be perfectly healthy. Also adopting from the adoption centre means you can't assume the age you're told is correct and even robos can easily be estimated as younger than they are, which would lead to less time with them anyway. Of two robos we adopted one was estimated roughly correct, the other was roughly a year older than they expected.

Robos and hybrids are very, very different creatures. If you think a hybrid would suit you, then I'd personally adopt a hybrid. I know the possibility of health problems is scary, but I find them worth it.
Also with the life span, no life span is certain and with a hamster I'd not regard it as a big enough issue to stop me adopting if I felt it was what I wanted. All hams can pass young, and many hybrids will still reach close to the average age of any other hamster.

Thats all my views, but we currently have seven hybrids and they are great pets. The two we've had who have since passed were also great pets. Our two robos are also great pets, as was the robo who has since passed... But they're so different that if you think a hybrid is for you, I'd really suggest getting a hybrid instead of a robo.

If you just want to adopt and feel the same about both species - then wait for a robo. But yeah, if you think a hybrid would be right apart from the health concerns then I'd probably get a hybrid.

Don't get me wrong - I know health problems can be heartbreaking. We've got a Dad and four of his accidental pups. One of the pups developed diabetes at six weeks of age, we confirmed it when he was eight and a half weeks old. That was recent and I know exactly how gutting it was, it did upset me a lot - especially realising what its done to his lifespan and that some of his relatives will probably develop diabetes too. It was really, really horrible having to face those things. But all that said, he's still an amazing little guy, I still love having him in my life and I'd not change him for the world. Diabetes or no, its an honour to know the little lad and I'm glad to have him around :)

racinghamster
01-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi neily. Kyrill has covered much of the pro`s and con`s of both really. I just wanted to say that I look at any hamster I take on as an individual. Not so much at the species or the age or the coat colour.

I say to myself if he`s a robo, he will be fast, fesity, may not want handling and will love a varied diet of seeds, grains and additional extras. Robos are not known to suffer from diebetes....but, I would still steer clear of too many strachy ingredients and added sugars.

Hybrids, well you can usually bet any russian dwarf will be classed as one, regardless if they have a resemblence to a winter white or not. Some do, some don`t. So for a hybrid, all you need to remeber is the no sugar/honey/syrup/molasses rule and no fruit, fresh or dried.

As in the other thread where we were discussing dwarf diets, it`s just a matter of controlling their food intake. Even in human patients, type 2 diabetes is controlled and sometimes even reversed, with diet alone. So don`t let the fear of diabetes put you off.

Diabetes can trigger in hamsters within the first three months of their lives, so if they have been fed an incorrect diet before you own him/her, chances are you can reverse, or control it with a better diet. :)

Hope this has helped a little. x

HammieandMerlin
01-23-2013, 07:02 AM
I like what Kyrill and RH said, as for hybrids and suffering/health, I adopted two from horrid inbreeding conditions and Toothless is still alive at two and a half, and his brother lived until he was nearly 20 months old, and my sister's hybids both had long lives. They really are lovely, so if they seem right for you, I recommend them

neily
01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
I am no longer undecided, I adopted a Russian dwarf called ivanhoe http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/hybrid-hamsters/38150-meet-ivanhoe.html he is so cute, and he loves his zz2, I bought a small cabin, but he prefers to sleep in the grass tunnel I bought him, the same one he had in p@h :D

racinghamster
01-31-2013, 03:58 AM
:) He`s a cutie! Well done. x