PDA

View Full Version : Bin cage help

Clari99
01-22-2013, 02:32 PM
I tried to make a bin cage but it failed and i just ended up with big holes in a plastic box.. so attempt two!

I'll soon have a box! Its a 84 or 64 ltr Really Useful Box that was suggested (Don't know which size yet i'll probably go for the bigger)
But i don't have a souldring Iron and probably aren't going to get one!
Would using a hot knife work? and also where do i get the mesh from?
I've had a look around and can't find any mesh anywhere!

kyrilliondaemon
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Mesh is in B&Q, Wilkos, garden centres... Loads of places sell it :)
And yes, a hot knife apparently works for bin cages, I've never tried it but I've heard that it should be fine.

Biyu
01-23-2013, 05:13 AM
My bin is a110 liter and my mesh is from farm and fleet but menards had it too I think lowes and Home Depot would too --just ask for chicken wire it's in there you get a *lot* to the roll (I could have easily done 2 possibly 3 bins with that much) as for cutting I used my dremel (I love that thing!) and my Syrian seems to love it! (Mines a sterilite)

Nush
01-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Biyu, I was looking at dremels on amazon. They do seem expensive, also since I'd probably just use it once to make a bin cage.

Which one would you recommend?

Stockannette
01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
At our Lowe's "home improvement center" they called it "hardware cloth" even though it's not cloth.

Ellie
01-23-2013, 09:27 AM
The really useful boxes are really thick plastic so not sure how a hot knife will work,, I used a drill to drill four holes then hacksawed along to join them, filed down the edges and it was done :)

Biyu
01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm a diyer type and I use my dremel a bit at times I think mines a 4000 or that? It's a couple years old mine has a slider based power thing that I don't like my uncle has one that you can dial in the speed you want and press power on and off keeping that speed

Personally I wouldn't go with the cheapest but if you weren't sure you could prolly look for a cheap "rotary tool" which I guess is what a dremel is lol I can get a pic of the bit that worked best for me? Or in an off chance if you were *very* skilled you could try using a drill? If you have one? I think the dremel is so much easyier to use tho if you have a handheld drill theory the chuck should be able to hold the dremel bit (ill try most things and I havent attempted this)

CharlieB
01-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Ive just made 6 today out of the 64L Really useful ones. I haven't put mesh in as I didn't want to get cuts all up my arms like my last attempt, I copied Vanilla-Yazoo's ones! I used a drill with a size 5 drill bit meant for metal. None of mine cracked, go carefully and dont push down too hard and you should get nice holes :)