PDA

View Full Version : Four Points Animal Club Show

Louby
05-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Following on from NaomiR's thread...it appears there is a show this coming Sunday in Reading :shock: .

Anyone fancy it?

http://www.fourpoints.org.uk/index.html

HW is working, so we are 99% sure that he won't be there, but if i'm feeling brave, I may go :D

Bourne Valley Hams
05-11-2008, 02:20 PM
It has to be about 5 years since we last went. The Bushes were running it then aswell though. I know Cathy Guyatt, the chairperson, as she used to be a Southern member and came to a few shows. I wondered why she stopped coming to our shows.
The show is very much Cavy biased, with quite a few mice too. The other animals are shown on a very small scale, not much more than a pet type show really. The hamsters are just shown in carry boxes or hagens. They are usually judged by one of the members, not someone who actually knows anything particularly about hamsters. Mostly pet hamsters owned by the exhibitors in the other classes really. I have to say we were not made especially welcome - but maybe it was just because they all knew each other and we were not in the clique.
You should do quite well with your little lot though Louby! :D

Louby
05-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Hmmm...not sure I fancy it if they are going to be a load of grumpy bums? :roll: :wink:

Your right BVH, I do have a pretty little bunch here...I wonder which fab breeder has helped us out with them? :wink:

Bourne Valley Hams
05-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm sure they will be fine with you Louby - I think they felt we were 'professionals' and shouldn't be there!! Though oddly we had only been showing a short while by then and rarely won anything at the real hamster shows!

Louby
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, they will be under no illusion that we are professionals, thats for sure! :wink: I'm nervous, and I don't even know if were going yet! :shock:

I'm really excited about entering our first proper show, but thats not until Willington in July!! :( Then again...is Bath a show?

souffle
05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Well if you are nearby I would give it a go. I'm sure your lovelies will do really well Louby and it will be a fun day out for them. :lol:

Bourne Valley Hams
05-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes Louby, Bath is a show.

NaomiR
05-12-2008, 02:11 AM
as BVH have already said and I would like to reiterate this IS A PET SHOW primarily.

To be quite honest it's a bit of a mess with judges ranging from top Cavy Club Officials to the dust bin man (who was excellent by the way :wink: ) the classes are usually totally muddled up and I am famous for getting prize cards for cavies I haven't even bought lol which is jolly funny.

But the venue's nice, I take my daughter and she runs about outside and it's just a nice day away from home, for us anyway.

I don't think anyone takes this show too seriously - and yes they are a funny bunch but dead nice once you get to know them.

You really have to take this one for what it is, just a bit of a laugh.

Louby you really ought to come, as it's so laid back and easy going, pm me your e-mail address and I'll forward you the schedule :D

AND SEE YOU THERE - please, I don't know any hammie people yet :x

Holly
05-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Go for it, Loubs - I'd come with you if I lived a bit nearer, it sounds like it could be fun :)

Bourne Valley Hams
05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
They should get some proper judges in and make a real show of it. I'm only a 40 minute drive away, I'll come and judge!! :D

NaomiR
05-13-2008, 06:50 AM
would you REALLY be willing to come and judge BVH?

that would be superb, why don't you contact Peter and offer your services, so to speak?!!

I'll take lots of pictures on Sunday and let you all know how it goes :wink:

05-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I might go....I have a bit of a mad Saturday this weekend though so it depends how that goes. Is it possible to enter hamsters on the day Naomi or does it have to be in advance? Do they have to sit there all day like at hamster shows or can they make an executive arrival for the hamster class and then leave a little later? (I'm out all day and eve on Sat so I don't want to really be out all day Sun too as I need to show all my hams at home some "ELC love"!!)

NaomiR
05-15-2008, 05:44 AM
as far as I know you're not able to enter on the day, sorry ELC

for those going on Sunday you need to head for Bloomfield Hatch Lane which is in Grazeley :D

05-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks Naomi. Looks like my first show will be Andover then, complete with my handsome Marteser and Smarterone boys. :D

Louby
05-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Yay! The man that I emailed about the show has come back to me! I have entered Cupcake.

Everyone cross everything! :wink: :D

Mollz
05-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Yay! The man that I emailed about the show has come back to me! I have entered Cupcake.

Everyone cross everything! :wink: :D

Good luck Lou and Cupcake! I'm sure you'll have a great day :D

NaomiR
05-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Well unfortunately Cupcake (who is totally gorgeous I must add) lost out to a hamster owned by the judges friend, which was totally outrageous because it was the most unfriendly anti social hammie I have ever seen.

My Jemima won the best dwarf then lost out to the above hamster in the grand challenge, what a farce.

I'm not bitter, just observant and ashamed this sort of thing really does go on.

At least we know that Cupcake and Jemima would have won because they really were the best hammies on the day :wink:

Louby
05-19-2008, 12:35 AM
WE WERE ROBBED!!!!! :lol:

Just to add insult to injury, the ham that beat us had PINK FLUFFY BEDDING!!! :shock: :roll:

Oh well...it was an experience if nothing else :wink:

It was lovely meeting you and your family Naomi :D , and thankyou for letting my LO have some of your picnic :wink: .

How has Chunky settled in? Purdy seems to be happy, and got very excited when I put some more food in for her last night before bed.

NaomiR
05-19-2008, 12:43 AM
I know hamsters have a tendancy to be "greedy" but Purdy really DOES take the biscuit doesn't she? I could not believe she was stuffing all that bedding you gave her into her pouches then trying to wedge in an inch long dog biscuit aswell lol what a nutter!!!

Lovely to meet you too - you can leave LO with me ANY time he's great - Chunky's superb too will do some pictures this evening :wink:

YES WE WERE ROBBED IT'S OFFICIAL :cry: WAHHHAAA!!!!

Bourne Valley Hams
05-19-2008, 12:44 AM
How outrageous!! :shock: They definitely need a new judge - then at least the judge will have the right friends! :wink: :lol:
How many hamsters were there in the show?