View Full Version : Bincage Idea

~Exile~
01-16-2013, 04:28 PM
For a lot of years I've had a bunch of unused bins under my stairs,
and recently I thought maybe to put a few to use. I have plastic mesh
that is thick and I'm sure will be good enough. But the good thing I'm
excited about is this huge bin that I might use. This bin is maybe the size
around 50-60 gallon of a tank, but the problem is that the sides are
slanted and would be harder to put holes in, so I'll put it aside for now.
But then one I will be starting on his a blue semi-large bin. I'll start
my project maybe over this weekend, but I'm saving this thread for
pictures, and showing you guys all the bins I'm planning on using.
Wish me luck, as this will be my first bincage!

PS:
Can someone give me tips on making bincages?

nomi
01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Best thing to get a hole started for cutting is heat a penknife up over a candle and its far easier and less stress on the plastic than just pushing the knife through. for holes for the screws i put a soldering iron through then widened the hole with a pair of needle-nosed pliers.

I managed it all with stuff in a student house ( well luckily 2 engineers so wire cutters etc to hand ;) )

Nush
01-17-2013, 03:34 AM
I was doing some research on making bin cages because at some point I might extend one of my cages. These are the links I've gathered. From what I can tell you can use super dooper tools (soldering irons, hole saw) or you could use heated knives. I think it depends on budget and DIY skills (mine's rubbish). But here are the links I've collected:
Making Bin Cages - Jack's Mousery (JM) (http://www.jacksmousery.com/makingbincages.htm)
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/36025-photo-guide-making-bin-cage.html
Gather Your Tools (http://www.instructables.com/id/Hamster-Bin-Cage-Tutorial/step2/Gather-Your-Tools/)
DIY Hamster Cage (Bin Cage) | Hammy Happenings (http://hammyhappenings.wordpress.com/diy-hamster-cage-bin-cage/)

Kiki_3173
01-17-2013, 03:47 AM
I used the Hammy Happenings DIY! It is fantastic and I LOVE Darwin's bincage! Used to think that bincages were kinda just blah (compared to the cages like the Alexander) that are available, but then I saw that DIY and the loved the idea of being able to decorate it however I wanted to!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Kiki_3173/Darwins%20Bin%20Cage/image_zps95539e02.jpg

~Exile~
01-17-2013, 04:09 AM
Thanks guys (:
I went over the Hammy Happening's DIY, and it seemed basic enough.

My moms Boyfriend is a woodworker, construction worker, so he knows about
cutting plastic, and I don't, so he may as well cut the holes into the bin for me.

Kiki_3173
01-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Thanks guys (:
I went over the Hammy Happening's DIY, and it seemed basic enough.

My moms Boyfriend is a woodworker, construction worker, so he knows about
cutting plastic, and I don't, so he may as well cut the holes into the bin for me.

A lot of people use a Dremel or a Soldering iron to make the cuts!

~Exile~
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah, we have a Dremel, but my moms boyfriend used it more then I have.

Also, is it okay if the bin's not clear?

Biyu
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
I think colour is a preference mines clear because I wanted clear --but get familliar with that dremel! It's a best friend of mine

Kiki_3173
01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure I've read here on this forum that it at least needs to be transparent (not one of the bins that is grey or dark blue).

Biyu
01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Didn't know lol --I've heard people talking about x-mas tree holders that were tinted transparent and I think I also heard people suggest transparent or lots of mesh so you can watch the hamster which is why I'm guessing a solid colour could be ok (mesh top?)

~Exile~
01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Okay, We have a clear bin, but it doesn't require the size for a hamster
cage. I'll see if I can go out to Walmart soon, and buy a clear one (:

Biyu
01-23-2013, 05:25 AM
There's a *tiny* chance target could have better mines a 110 liter whatever lol (maby its quart I took the tag off just know 110 lol) bin from target that was 12 because its green and red the clear and purple clipped is 15 and it needs a weight on top or if stuff is too tall (not yet) my Syrian may get out --I have left it unclipped with nothing on top before while I was right near it --I've also left it open again while I was here she is a climber but dosent seem to jump lol and the top part is about 3" above where she can climb and with smooth sides lol

But now that I know she can climb on the mesh (monkey bars!) I'm hesitant to put some on the sides

~Exile~
01-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Hm, we don't have a target store around here, but I already
bought a semi-clear bin. I think today, I'll start working on the bincage.

petal10
01-27-2013, 04:50 AM
I think a tinted bin would be fine, and semi-clear should be too - I imagine the reason you shouldn't get a full-coloured one is just because it wouldn't allow any light in...

vanilla-yazoo
01-27-2013, 05:01 AM
i know vectis uses purple really useful boxes, you can see through them, but they are very purple ( and pretty!)
I think its so it lets light in ect, if they lived in a box with no light around them it might be a bit confusing i guess. my bins are clear/lightly frosted, i can see through them really clearly tbh!
bin cages may not look as appealing as big alexander cages, but they can be better suited, esp with bar chewing hamsters, or really small robos and chinese who can go through bars of normal cages. plus once you have the bin, you can hang toys, if its tall you can add shelves, and you can give a nice deep bedding if they like to dig :D
and no shavings kicked all over the floor! :D

lucy1666
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
u can nik ideas from mine if u want its a bit crap tho :)