PDA

View Full Version : Dasher, Head of the Pompoms

Pompompoms
01-12-2013, 03:48 AM
My beautiful Dasher was pts at nine thirty yesterday morning, I was hoping he would pass quietly at home, but he held on all night, making the short trip to the vet the kindest thing to do. He hadn't opened his eyes since about three o'clock the day before, he could only manage a few steps every few hours, was licking a little baby food from my fingers, but not managing any water. He held on all that day, the only indication he was still here being his breathing, I held him snuggled in my dressing gown as he slept peacefully. I had made him a tiny home with his nest from his cage, a little cucumber, and some baby food, but he was distressed not being held, and would fall onto his back, unable to right himself. I held him all afternoon, then all night, Mr Poms held him for a couple of hours so I could have a little sleep. He wouldn't let go my strong little man, I asked him at about five in the morning if he needed my help to pass to the bridge. He lifted his head, opened one eye a little to look at me and squeaked, leaving me in no doubt.
Mr Poms held Dasher for the one minute drive to the vet, I held him again from the moment I stopped the car. Dasher's life ended with a cuddle that lasted 19 hours, I like all my hams to pass knowing they have been loved and cherished, I don't think Dasher could have been in any doubt.

Dasher was born 17/11/10, he was one of six in the first litter I bred, son of my white robo The Cloud, and Tammy's husky lady Bianca. He was the only husky boy in the litter so easily identified from very early on, he came charging out the nest at about twelve days old, strong, determined and friendly from the off.
It was the beginning of December when we had all the heavy snow, there were Christmas lights everywhere, and he looked like a tiny little reindeer with his husky colours coming through, and the way he would be at one end of the tub, then suddenly at the other led me to name him Dasher.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/First%20litter%20of%20babies/Babies3-1_zpsaf409d1d.jpg

As it should be Dasher's first few weeks were filled with snuggles with mum and siblings, then eating and playing before snoozing off again

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/First%20litter%20of%20babies/picc013-1_zpsd4f80c73.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/First%20litter%20of%20babies/picc076-1_zpse2496fcf.jpg

Dasher was a big fan of eating, and soon began to grow quickly giving a hint of the big strong boy he would become.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/First%20litter%20of%20babies/picc250-1_zpse322d341.jpg

At four weeks old it was time to say goodbye to mum, and Dasher, plus Whizzbit, Digger, and Mini The Cloud all moved in together. For a couple of weeks everything was fine, then as baby robos starting to grow up will do, there was a little wrestling, nothing too serious, until one night it must have all kicked off, and I came in in the morning to see my little husky boy asleep on the spinner away from the others who were all tucked in the nest. He looked up at me to reveal a bloody nose, and must have been feeling very sorry for himself as when I scooped him up he snuggled right into me for some fuss. he had seven bites on him poor little guy, so I decided to move him in with uncle Jam for for a while to heal. Jam as I thought he would took Dasher under his wing immediately, snuggling him up, grooming him, fussing over him. Dasher adored Jam, and was soon healing fast. As a young boisterous boy, as soon as he was better he was tiring Jam out too much as Jam was in his final weeks, so I took Dasher out and took the gentlest of the white boys with the little wonky face, pairing them together. These would be my keepers from this litter, Dasher and Whizzbit.

Dasher and Whizzbit were a gorgeous pair, very happy together, no squabbles through the often tricky teenage phase. Dasher was the biggest, but Whizzbit was in charge, and Dasher was happy with things that way. He liked nothing more than to snuggle up to his brother, and of course was the master of what became known as the SUPRISE GROOM!!!!!!! Sneaking up on Whizzbit's wonky side so he didn't know he was coming, and launching into a huge grooming session :grin::grin: .

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Dasher%20and%20Whizzbit/DashWhizz.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Dasher%20and%20Whizzbit/piccy096.jpg

My boys lived happily together till the summer when it was time for breeding the next generation of pompoms, Dasher was paired with the lovely Daisy from Wessex hams, and made eight babies! Including the lovely Rolo who became a permanent pompom.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Minipompoms2011/3081128-1_zps9f84b1f5.jpg

While Daisy was busy raising the babies, Dasher made a new friend. Billy the surviving boy from Whizzbit's first litter was old enough to leave mum, and needed looking after. Daddy Whizz was to be busy making his second litter, so uncle Dasher needed to step in. They were absolutely adorable together, little Billy and big uncle Dasher. Dasher was huge by this point, really in his prime. At 48g he was equal to the largest robo I had heard of, and has only been surpassed by Billy since.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Minipompoms2011/2308113-1_zps80bf0087.jpg

Billy absolutely loved Dasher, and although I had planned to keep a white boy, I decided that this was my new pairing, only Dasher wasn't done with making new friends yet. Over the next few weeks, the four boys from Dasher's litter moved in, followed by the two little boys from Whizzbit's second litter at only three and a half weeks following mum Lilly's emergency operation. It was absolute bedlam in there, but completely adorable. A colony of eight with Dasher at the head, and boys ranging from five months to six weeks. Dasher as you might imagine was just a little bit popular with all the little ones, and there wasn't a minute where there wasn't one hanging off him, or snuggled up next to him. He kept order, made sure no squabbles turned into anything more serious, and was always there especially for the littlest when they first moved in.

I nearly got everyone in this pic, it was very hard to capture all eight!

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Minipompoms2011/420111-1_zpsee8f25ba.jpg

Pompompoms
01-12-2013, 03:49 AM
As I said, I'd decided Billy was to stay with Dasher, so when it came time for all the babies to move on, and Rolo to go with Whizz, Billy and Dasher settled down into life together. They were a beautiful pair, and rather like uncle Dasher, Billy didn't stay small for long!

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/1791118-2.jpg

Unfortunately, at about nine months, long after I thought Billy had safely sailed through puberty, he went through a difficult phase. He was bitey, to me, and even worse, he bit Dasher. Luckily for him, Dasher didn't bite back, as being the smaller at the time, Billy wouldn't have fared too well, but I had to take him out while Dasher's wound healed. Dasher decided he wasn't having any of this nonsense, and although he didn't go for Billy at all, when I put him back in, he made it clear he wanted to be lift to his own devices, Billy realised that he was no match for a grumpy uncle Dasher and was pretty worried till I took him out again!

So after a very busy year and a half, Dasher lived a long and happy retirement on his own, he did briefly make a friend in the small yellow horse

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/piccy049.jpg

It was short lived :wink:

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/piccy061-1-1_zps314c5421.jpg

It became clear in the summer something was wrong with Dasher, he grew a large lump on his abdomen, initially it didn't seem to bother him, but it was quickly followed by another. He became very tired, and his nightly outing on the sofa became shorter and shorter where he'd tire so quickly. A trip to the vet was a bit of a shock as he only gave him about four weeks to live, but that's when my Dash really began his fight. Far from only living four weeks, Dasher has lived another six months from that prognosis, and lived well.
He was a happy old man, passing his second birthday in November, living out his retirement in his lovely big cage. It was three levels to start with, and went down to one, with continual adjustments for his mobility. Dasher was the same happy, friendly determined hamster that came out of the nest all that time ago, and he has been the most beautiful little life to take care of. He always has known exactly what he does and doesn't want, he would either race onto my hand to come out, and refuse to get off even if I was just in there for a water change, or he would come up to sniff hello and wander off if he was busy. He liked a cuddle, rather like his dad sitting on my chest, he also like brother Whizzbit was obsessed with the table next to the sofa, and even as frail as he was last week was tring to climb up there.

It has been hard to watch my big strong boy deteriorate so much, but it has been a pleasure to care for him while he has. He was held together by tumors and bones at the end bless him, but he was still filled with the same love of life he's always had right up to the final day. That he would only be cuddled for his final day was typical Dasher knowing what he wants and making sure he got it. My lovely sweet little one, it was a pleasure.

The very last pictures will stay private, I'll say he looks comfortable, warm and loved which he was so very much.

A few days ago I took this picture of him eating some porridge, and this little vid, this sums him up, happy and still going no matter what came his way, a brave, strong little fighter, and oh so happy being a pompom

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/DSCF0287_zps61ede759-1_zps87c6f910.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/th_DSCF0343_zps13b0c763.jpg (http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/DSCF0343_zps13b0c763.mp4)

Play well my beautiful, join the pompom hamily at the bridge. You will never be forgotten, none of you will. Watch over the babies for me, they are nearly ready to come out of the nest. In a few weeks, any boys will be moving in with Billy as he moved in with you, he's head of the pompoms now, and so the circle continues. I will chose a big strong boy, determined, and friendly to lead the next generation, I know he'll have a lot of his great uncle in him. Send me a rainbow Dasher Doodles, love you xxxxxxxx

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/piccy002296-1_zps3f7a9d0f.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Dashernest3-3_zps7a6be7a8.jpg

AnimalMadCait
01-12-2013, 03:54 AM
aww, sorry for your loss =( x

Ivora
01-12-2013, 03:55 AM
Sorry for your loss. What a wonderful memorial. Play hard at the rainbow bridge little one!

Silver
01-12-2013, 04:37 AM
Sat here in tears.

Play well Gorgeous dasher

Silver xxx

evel_lin
01-12-2013, 04:37 AM
what a beautiful tribute to him. Enjoy rainbow bridge little Dasher

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Dasher, you were very much loved on here and by what you mummy has just written, you were larger than life itself. A little robo pioneer and fighter to the end.

So sad to hear of Dasher`s passing poms. Having lost my Boris during the night, I can feel that pain. Rest in peace little man. x

Dandelion07
01-12-2013, 05:38 AM
I am so sorry pompompoms. I saw the picture of him enjoying his porridge the other day. Rest in peace dasher xx

Lougarry
01-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Massive hugs to you, Poms. Darling Dasher, he was such a sweetie. So lovely you had that last night of extended cuddle time. Thinking of you, hun, and of Dasher being reunited with his lost friends and relatives xxxxx

Michelle89
01-12-2013, 06:03 AM
:( so sorry for your loss Dasher was a special little cutie play well at the bridge little one xxx

lucyeleanor
01-12-2013, 06:21 AM
What a beautiful memorial. So sorry for your loss. Play well Dasher x

StuCil
01-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Really beautiful memorial. Dasher was really gorgeous. Sorry for your loss :(. Play well, Dasher <3

souffle
01-12-2013, 06:32 AM
I am so very sorry Pompompoms. The bond was strong between you it must have been so hard for Dasher to let go of that shining love. He trusted you to know though and help him and now he is well again and running free with the wind in his fur and the love in his heart he took with him.
The rainbow may take a while. That little guy is very small and he will, for sure, send the biggest, brightest explosion of colour that you have ever seen. He is already rushing over there to start...see in the picture the tiny white ball in front of the cat? That's him......
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/Pophammy/Centra/RainbowBridge_zps9c905e10.jpg

MrsRuxpin64
01-12-2013, 06:43 AM
It was lovely to read about Dasher's wonderful life with you, he was obviously a fabulous little ball of fluff who gave as much love as he got. Your beautiful tribute to him has me in tears, but I know that he is now at the bridge with all the other poms, happy and healthy again. Play well little man, xxxxx

Kiki_3173
01-12-2013, 06:51 AM
So very sorry to hear about the loss if your little Dasher. Play well Dasher!

hikaru
01-12-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Dasher was very handsome.
You made a very beautiful memorial, it is filled with love.

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad - I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears;
You'd not want me to suffer so,
When the time comes please let me go.
Only stay with me till the end,
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time that you will see
It is a kindness you do to me;
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
And please don't grieve it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do.
We've been so close- we two - these years
Don't Let your heart hold any tears.

neily
01-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Omg, I almost cried, so sad, but he had a good life.

GhostsInSnow
01-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Awwwh what a gorgeous little one! His story is so amazing and I was tearing up throughout. You have, without a doubt, given him such a wonderful life and he certainly seemed a very special ham. Just looking at him you can see ow happy he was.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
RIP little Dasher, run free at the bridge xx

suga
01-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Ahh such a gorgeous wee soul. Sleep well Dasher. Hugs Pomsxxx

Kirsty1987
01-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Such a lovely memorial had me in tears :( R.I.P Dasher x

Hamtastic
01-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Another one of my most favorite little fluffs is gone :( So sad that they don't stay with us forever! Dasher, you were an inspiration to all robos world-wide, with your gorgeous fur and hefty frame. As soon as I saw you, I knew I wanted one just like you - alas that was going to be impossible. There is no one quite like you, and especially where I live. So I contented myself (mostly) with keeping up with wonderful stories about you and your siblings. I hope you find my Viola and Leela at the Bridge <3

Holly's Mum
01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
This always gives me comfort:

There are men both bold and great,
Who hold that in a. future state,
Dumb creatures we have cherished here below,
Will give us joyous greetings as we pass the golden gate.
Is it folly if I trust it may be so?

From the tomb of a horse in Dublin.

shiny
01-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Poms this is the loveliest tribute to a beautiful boy, I'm completely choked up looking at Dasher's pictures & your special words about him.

I loved reading about Dasher every time he popped up on HC. I'm sure you will see traits of him coming through in the new generation.

What wonderful memories of him you will have forever :)

shiny x

Womblehands
01-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Rest well beautiful pom. He was so unique and will be missed. He will live on in all the little poms that arrive. Thank you for sharing him with us all.

Chrissie
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss x

kyrilliondaemon
01-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Pompompoms, you and Dasher both knew that Dasher was a favourite of mine. You captured all my favourite memories in this memorial, especially the yawn and the yellow horse. I'm really sorry that he's passed, I will really miss the great little guy. I'm glad he got such a cuddle though, and am sure he's happy now too.

Dasher, you wonderful little ham, it was great hearing about you and seeing your pics and videos. You were an amazing little lad and I really hope you're happy over the bridge now

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
01-13-2013, 02:54 AM
Dasher you were without doubt my favourite HC Robo, I can't believe you are gone - always sucha beautiful big ham so sweet and happy. There isn't much that can be said that hasn't already been said just that I will miss seeing your beautiful photos and hearing your funny tales. Your secret twin, Trevor sends huge hugs to you.

*massive hugs* Poms, I know Dasher meant so much to you and you were so proud of what an amazing hamster he became. A true Pom god. Xxx

RachK
01-13-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm so sorry to hear Dasher has passed. :(What a beautiful tribute to the little fella. RIP sweetie xx

Petite1
01-13-2013, 08:39 AM
OMG in tears, great tribute, too upset to say anything else, Play well at the bridge little one x

starbug
01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm so very, very sorry for your loss. What a special ham he was and what a tributw to his hammy-mommy. Play well and free in good health now, Dasher. (((hugs)))

Pompompoms
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Thank you everyone for your lovely words, it's always so nice to read that Dasher gave smiles to others on here just as he did to me. My little man is buried in the flowerbed next to the back door with all the pompoms that have passed, and next to his brother Whizzbit. He's a big loss, I keep going to check on him as I've been constantly checking on him recently, then remember he's finally passed bless him :(

Hammymad
01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Very very sorry for your loss Pompoms,it was obvious just how precious Dasher was to you,thinking of you xxxx

vanilla-yazoo
01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
oh hunny,
what you have written is as beautiful as the little lad himself, Im all teared up, he no longer has the tumors, he can surprise groom whizz over the bridge to his hearts content.
I love the poms dearly, as an extended part of my own hamster family, it hurts as tho i have lost one of my own.
I know this time will be hard for you, but those little treasures in the nest are something to keep smiling for x
he will be missed, but always loved, by all his family here x
x run free dasher x

Pompompoms
01-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Thank you both, such lovely words. It's not been the best time recently losing Whizzbit then Dasher, the little ones are a new chapter and will bring some smiles back to the pompom household :D

The Hamster's family
01-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Very sorry for your loss... He defenetly was a special boy and will remain one in my memory. Hope that your memories of him are soon gonna be bringing smiles and laughter...

Run free, special boy... I will miss reading about you but make sure to have fun at the Bridge and send mommy kisses from times to times...

Annie xx

dancer
01-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Have fun at the bridge Dasher, it was a pleasure to have met you on many occasions, and to have a cuddle with you during your last weeks.

I'll look after your mummy for you

fadedpages
01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Oh Poms, I cried reading that. What a beautiful memorial. He was certainly a character, I remember the surprise groom attacks well from my first time on here.

Play well at the bridge with Whizzbit and the other poms, Dasher.

pete_w
01-14-2013, 08:09 PM
RIP Dasher x

mmmim256
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute, you made me tear up.

Jodzie04
01-15-2013, 06:24 AM
This is just beautiful. Dasher lived such an amazing life and there is no doubt he was one happy hamster
R.I.P handsome boy

jesselle
01-15-2013, 06:58 AM
sleep tight dasher.

x

shazzy
01-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Rest in peace you gorgeous little man. You helped fuel my desire to have a robo of my own xx

Pompompoms
01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Thank you, lovely words, people here are always so kind and supportive when anyone loses a little one, it;s just part of what makes it such a great forum :D

I won't post again on this thread, only as I don't want to keep bumping it up as other hams pass on. I will say thank you for anymore posts, and a real heartfelt thank you again to everyone. There is a mini pom just out of the nest that has a lot of Dasher about him already, so I think my lovely boy ensured a little of him stayed here :D:D xxxx

AliKati
01-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Dasher's one of those special ones. Thank you for sharing his adventures and his lovely life with us. I'm sad he's passed. Play well over the bridge, little one. xx

Petite1
01-19-2013, 06:17 AM
so sorry for the loss of Dasher, he was a special little hammy. Play well at the bridge little one

Sammybingo
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi you. Sorry it's taken me a few days to get here, I'm barely human. As predicted, I am crying like a small child heh. But I'm smiling too, loads, in fact! Dasher has always made me grin. I loved the tales of him stomping around, and every time I watch one of my favourite South Parks, where the town is smashed up by giant guinea pigs, I think of him, and imagine all the heftier poms scaled up stomping about town.. anyway, that's silly, but a sign of how he infiltrated my thoughts ;) I'm amazed at how long he hung on, I'm sure that was purely down to him being so determined to continue his wonderful life with you.
Much love. x