PDA

View Full Version : Boris (the bear)

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 02:06 AM
My big syrian bear Boris left me during the night, curled up in his nest. He had gone downhill over the last few weeks, gradually becoming slower and weaker, although still managing to go through his daily routine of eat, drink, pee in his corner and then drag himself back to his nest. He was a lovely lad who I took on from my nephew two summers ago when aged seven months. He died aged two years and three months. I thought he would have gone on much longer to be honest because he never had a days illness in the time he was with me and he was always a bright eyed, gorgeous, healthy boy.

Sleep well big lad. Rocky (my little roborovski) and me will miss you. x

Lougarry
01-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Oh RH, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad Boris had a loving home with you and a peaceful passing. (((hugs))) Run free, Boris xxxx

Dandelion07
01-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Oh Racinghamster I am so sorry. He went peacefully and with dignity, after a lovely life with you. Rest in peace Boris. Xx

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Thankyou guys. It`s hard looking over at the table not seeing his cage there. I`ve spent most of the morning cleaning his cage and trying to keep my mind off things. I will bury him beside my little chinese female Prinny this afternoon. He`s on my bed at the moment wrapped in soft tissue where I can spend some last moments with him.

Pompompoms
01-12-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm so sorry RH, I was wondering how he was doing. I'm so glad he got to live in such a loving home with you, and experience the love and care he deserved. You play well at the bridge little man xx

TraceyH
01-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Oh no, sorry you lost him. At least he was well loved and well looked after by you.

Silver
01-12-2013, 05:19 AM
In tears again.

So very sorry RH for your loss of Boris

He sounds like he had a wonderful life with you. Pleased the end was peaceful. I gain a lot of comfort just spending a little while with them after they have passed also.

Silver, Jan & Amy xxx

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Thankyou Poms, Tracy & Silver for your sentiments. It`s really sad when they seem on top of the world and then the life just goes out of them. This is the stressful part for me of small animal ownership, but I keep reminding myself that they were safe, loved and had a wonderful life while in my care and that`s what keeps me going. x

GhostsInSnow
01-12-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm so sorry RH, it was clear how much you loved Boris and he most certainly had a wonderful life with you. Unfortunately with our small furries, they go downhill so quickly but he was such a good age and you did the best for him. Take comfort in the fact he went peacefully in his home in comfort with no stress. I know you had to decide whether to take him to the vet this morning if he was still here and I'm kinda glad you didn't have to make that decision. It can be so stressful and we never know if it's the right thing to do or not.
RIP Boris, play well at the bridge with all the other rainbow hams xx

neily
01-12-2013, 09:08 AM
So sad for your loss. But it's like you said, although they are only with us a short time, it's about their quality of life while alive and doing the best we can for them. Giving them an enriching quality life. Some people see them as just rodents (my mum included) but it's amazing how attached you can become to them, like a cat or a dog.

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Going to my vet was the option this morning if he had made it through the night, but because Boris was sleeping away all day yesterday with only a few checks from me to see if he wanted a drink, I felt he was better left alone and my instinct was right. He could barely lift his head yesterday and I knew just by looking at him that he was slipping away. We probably feel that instictively when we have kept small pets over the years because they do seem to tell us in their own way whether they want helped over, or left in peace and I`m relieved that Boris was able to pass in his own time.

It`s strange just having one hamster now but hopefully I can add to that this year if things work out that way and life doesn`t get in the way.

souffle
01-12-2013, 09:17 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
He had an amazing long life with you and he wanted for nothing. I know he will be much missed :(
Play well at the bridge Boris x

GhostsInSnow
01-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Going to my vet was the option this morning if he had made it through the night, but because Boris was sleeping away all day yesterday with only a few checks from me to see if he wanted a drink, I felt he was better left alone and my instinct was right. He could barely lift his head yesterday and I knew just by looking at him that he was slipping away. We probably feel that instictively when we have kept small pets over the years because they do seem to tell us in their own way whether they want helped over, or left in peace and I`m relieved that Boris was able to pass in his own time.

It`s strange just having one hamster now but hopefully I can add to that this year if things work out that way and life doesn`t get in the way.

I agree, when you're used to small pets, it's easier to build that connection with them and know what they're trying to tell us.
I'm sure Boris would like the idea of another ham getting the care and love he received throughout his life :)

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Once again, thanks to everyone who sent their wishes and caring thoughts to Boris. I`m glad I made his life better for the time he was with me and hopefully I can do the same for more needy hamsters in time. x

The Hamster's family
01-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Sorry for your loss, RH... You gave him a good life and he was a happy and lucky kittle ham... Hoping you can soon remember only the great moments you have spent togeter... *hugs*

Rest well, little boy... Enjoy the Bridge and all it has to offer...

Annie xx

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks Annie. We sure did have some smiles together! He was such a gentle hamster and wouldn`t snatch things, but take them gently from your hand. Boris came as a bit of a shock to my system really because I never intended to ever have a syrian hamster, but my nephew said over the phone that if I couldn`t take him (his young son was found to be allergic to the hamster), he would get rid of him eventually.....so I couldn`t refuse based on the knowledge that he might end up in the wrong hands.

He didn`t mean anything bad would happen to him, but I didn`t want Boris going to another home where a child might treat him badly. So I took him on at the age of seven months. So in that time, he gave me so much pleasure and focus.

Some syrians can be a handful, but Boris was a true gent. I will miss his gorgeous face. x

The Hamster's family
01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
I sooo understand you... We get attached to them and it feels to me that when you rescue them, something greater happens... He will be guarding you, just like you did for him... =)

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I hope so. x

shiny
01-12-2013, 01:47 PM
So sorry RH :( but glad he could just slip away quietly at home. What a much-loved boy he was. Sending you all my best wishes, shiny x

racinghamster
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks shiny. x

gutterglitterxx
01-12-2013, 02:10 PM
So very sorry for your loss.
Run free, play well, and sleep tight Boris. xxxx

Michelle89
01-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Im soo sorry for your loss :( *hugs* clearly he had an amazing life with a loving mummy, Play well little one and rest well xxx

Chrissie
01-12-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, we lost our Daisy overnight too, :( hugs x

racinghamster
01-13-2013, 04:59 AM
Many thanks everyone and condollences Chrissie on Daisy`s passing. x

septemberpeach
01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Kind thoughts for Boris and for you and Rocky, Racing Hamster. Thanks for your comments on Peaches' memorial. x

Moonflower
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear this:( Have fun at Rainbow Bridge, Boris x

Hammymad
01-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Very sorry for your loss RH (((hugs))) xxxx

vanilla-yazoo
01-13-2013, 04:40 PM
oh hun! i am so sorry! i know this little ol chap has been getting on in his age, i know you would do anything as long as he was comfortable, he has lived a good long life with you, with lots of happy memories to treasure
run free boris x

racinghamster
01-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Many thanks everyone, it`s much appreciated. I`m sure Boris would be smiling if he was reading this. I didn`t post very much about Boris during his life with me, but maybe if I`d had access to a camera I may have done too much! x

strawberrysmom
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Oh my. I only now saw the thread. RIP Boris. *hugs*

fadedpages
01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
It's hard when they turn so quickly, but he had a good, happy life with you. Play well at the bridge, Boris.

racinghamster
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Much appreciated guys, thanks. x

shazzy
01-16-2013, 06:05 AM
So sorry for my late reply, I havent been on the forum much recently but was saddened to read the news about Boris. Sleep well little man, have fun at the bridge xxx

kyrilliondaemon
01-16-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm really sorry you've lost him, I know he'll have had a fantastic life with you

Hamtastic
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry to read about your ham, RH. I'm glad he went peacefully--it's all we can ever wish for our loved ones. I'm sure he had a nice life with you.

fluffymunchkins
01-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Rest in peace Boris, you were a very lucky man.
Sending my love xx

racinghamster
01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
You are all very kind, many thanks indeed for all your lovely wishes and words. x Boris was probably my one and only syrian and he came into my life unexpectedly, but what he brought with him was larger than life and my memories of him will always be there. x

AliKati
01-19-2013, 08:51 AM
So sorry to hear the news. While I've not seen a picture of Boris, you've talked of him enough so I have a this visual impression of him. I know he's had a good life with you - fed well on jumbo oats etc - and I hope that gives you much comfort. xx

racinghamster
01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Boris was a beautiful golden syrian (smoothe coated) and had a beautiful face. I do wish I could have gotten a few images of him, but I remember him always in my heart. Thanks to everyone who sent wishes. x

Petite1
01-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Just caught thread So sorry for the loss of Boris RH, He was well loved and im sure you will remember him with great affection, play well at the bridge little Boris,

racinghamster
01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Many thanks petite. x Nice of you to say so.

Jodzie04
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I am so sorry for your loss
I am sure he had a great life with you and knew he was loved lots
R.I.P