PDA

View Full Version : What will their babies look like, if..

Rellen
05-08-2008, 07:45 AM
1. http://i19.piczo.com/view/2/x/f/g/8/a/d/9/b/e/i/h/img/i178881178_79198_3.jpg mixed with http://i19.piczo.com/view/2/x/f/g/8/a/d/9/b/e/i/h/img/i178969384_39327_3.jpg

2. http://i19.piczo.com/view/2/x/f/g/8/a/d/9/b/e/i/h/img/i178969386_78119_3.jpg mixed with http://i19.piczo.com/view/2/x/f/g/8/a/d/9/b/e/i/h/img/i178969384_39327_3.jpg

3. http://i19.piczo.com/view/2/x/f/g/8/a/d/9/b/e/i/h/img/i178881178_79198_3.jpg mixed with BEC banded

4. http://i19.piczo.com/view/2/x/f/g/8/a/d/9/b/e/i/h/img/i178969386_78119_3.jpg mixed with BEC banded

Gust0o
05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
This might sound like I'm being awkward, especially after you've taken all that time posting pictures, but would you have the pedigrees for the hamsters?

Their current colours reflect their own genetic make-up, and can help you gauge what any litter might produce - but there can also be genes carried through from previous generations, which might give you further colour and coat combinations, which you might not have anticipated from simply looking at the animals.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Please don't put the first pairing together. They are both Dominant spot hamsters so may well both carry the white bellied gene. Such a mating will produce anophthalmic or eyeless white hamsters.
None of the other colours look to be very compatible, although it is hard to be sure without knowing their genetic background, so all the matings are likely to revert to the wild golden colour or with the silver grey a browny grey colour, some umbrous, some patterned. With the fourth mating you may get black eyed ivory, but this will depend on the other genes carried.

Rellen
05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Thank you!
I was just curious :)

Spuds Mum
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Are these your hamsters Rellen? We would love you to introduce them to us and tell us all about them and yourselves - and of course the hamsters on your other posts.

We are very happy to help with your questions I am sure, but it would be nice to hear a little about what brought you here, all about your hamsters, etc. :D

ilovemyhammies
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
i want to gain my knowledge on breeding hamsters, colours etc.
sorry for jumping in but what is Dominant spot?

Bourne Valley Hams
05-08-2008, 03:22 PM
i want to gain my knowledge on breeding hamsters, colours etc.
sorry for jumping in but what is Dominant spot?

It is a patterned animal, it will usually have a white blaze down its face, white belly, and will either have a few or a lot of white spots all over - sometimes it will look like a white hamster with coloured spots.

Holly
05-09-2008, 02:15 AM
You'd also need to be really careful with the third pairing - putting a dominant spot and a banded hamster of unknown pedigree together is also a no-no as both could carry the Wh gene.

nooboo
05-10-2008, 01:46 PM
i hate to do this but i have concerns, you seem to want to know what will happen with many different combinations, his isnt the first post like this, and then go on to breed some combinations. i am worried because i see no evidence that you are learning about the genetics and the way the colours combine, you never give guesses only ask what will happen, and then put together some very worrying pairings with patterns together.

i do wonder what your breeding intentions are, are you getting these hamsters from a breeder? are they coming with pedigrees? if you are then that breeder should be able to tell you the outcomes and be there for you, not that i dont want to help, nor am i saying anyone on here is not wanting to help, but that i worry why you are asking these questions.

what things do you look for in a litter? what are your goals?

sarahh
05-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi I'm not trying to be critical about this but have you researched breeding before hand as to what colours are ok and those who you must never breed with due to carrying the white bellied gene. 2 Dom spots must never be crossed as this can end up in eyeless whites. Due to the colouring of the others I personally wouldn't mate any of them with each other due to the light colouring.

Hi I love my hammies if you use the search tool and put in Mya who is my ham you will find pics of her she is a Black Dom Spot. As BVH has said they have the white blaze down their face. They are lovely hamsters my Mya has a wonful temperament.

Sarah x

Spuds Mum
05-10-2008, 02:46 PM
On some of Rellen's other posts we have spoken quite a bit about her enthusiasm and how maybe she should stick around here a little more, and chat, to learn some more so that, when she does feel ready to breed again, she can do it with some research and a bit more knowledge behind her.

I believe Rellen cares passionately about animals, and loves them dearly - its hard sometimes not to rush in when you are fired with such depth of feeling, but Rellen has acknowledged that she has a busy life at the moment, and it might be best to stick around for a while and learn more before taking any further steps.

This was one of Rellen's first posts, and whereas the comments made are totally reasonable, I'm hoping that Rellen has come to the conclusion that with several hamsters of her own, and two litters currently, that she is going to not breed any more until she has the time and knowledge. :D

Rellen
05-10-2008, 04:15 PM
On some of Rellen's other posts we have spoken quite a bit about her enthusiasm and how maybe she should stick around here a little more, and chat, to learn some more so that, when she does feel ready to breed again, she can do it with some research and a bit more knowledge behind her.

I believe Rellen cares passionately about animals, and loves them dearly - its hard sometimes not to rush in when you are fired with such depth of feeling, but Rellen has acknowledged that she has a busy life at the moment, and it might be best to stick around for a while and learn more before taking any further steps.

This was one of Rellen's first posts, and whereas the comments made are totally reasonable, I'm hoping that Rellen has come to the conclusion that with several hamsters of her own, and two litters currently, that she is going to not breed any more until she has the time and knowledge. :D

Yes. This is exactly true.

Those aren't even my hamsters.. I was just curious at the starting, but now I better understand it...
like, they have to be related somewhat if you want an appealing offspring.
ex: black + cinnie = dove
cinne+ bec= rec

or you'll get goldens.
that's the one concept that I never really understood.

it just makes all more sense, now :)

But I am not breeding for a longggg time now..
I have learned my lesson! lol

Spuds Mum
05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
yes, you are getting there with the colours Rellen, and Im sure it will suddenly click.

I always think of breeding colours as a big lottery. you have to have two tickets (one for Mum, one for Dad)

If you pull the two tickets out and they both have the same thing on (like cream or cinnamon or black) thats the prize you get.

If you pull out two non-matching tickets then all you get is the consolation prize which will be a golden (although goldens are lovely too of course :wink: )

I really am glad you are taking our advice my dear, and when you have found out a bit more, and have a little more time Im sure you will do it very well, but there are other things to do well first - like school :? isnt there? :D

Rellen
05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
yes, you are getting there with the colours Rellen, and Im sure it will suddenly click.

I always think of breeding colours as a big lottery. you have to have two tickets (one for Mum, one for Dad)

If you pull the two tickets out and they both have the same thing on (like cream or cinnamon or black) thats the prize you get.

If you pull out two non-matching tickets then all you get is the consolation prize which will be a golden (although goldens are lovely too of course :wink: )

I really am glad you are taking our advice my dear, and when you have found out a bit more, and have a little more time Im sure you will do it very well, but there are other things to do well first - like school :? isnt there? :D

Yes, there's school and friends etc. to occupy me while I'm waiting :)

LOL I like your hamster breeding simile.
Breeding hamsters is like winning the lottery.
:)
I love it.