PDA

View Full Version : Is there a cage calculator for syrians?

furrynavel
07-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Does anyone know of such a thing as a cage calculator for Syrians, or a formula to determine if a cage is suitable size?

babyboos
07-31-2005, 05:50 AM
I have never heard of anything specific for pet Syrians (except for in laboratory environemnts which suggest a minimum of 12" square) - this is something I came across when owning gerbils though - I use the opinion that biggest is better. In the wild their territories cover miles so I try to give them as much space and places to explore as physically possible - using empty boxes, coconut shells etc. and have all my Syrians in either Ferplast Rainbow Cages or since these have become harder to get hold off I have started using other cages in the Ferplast range including those with tube add-ons, as these are ventilated and large enough for most average Syrians. I use their ferret range for my huge Syrians. Another important consideration it to make sure they have a wheel which is large enough so that their spine stays straight whilst running. Rody Savic and Ferplast do extra large wheels. Sadly Silent Spinner need to introduce a wheel to their range between the existing medium and large (which is huge). Wodent Wheels are favoured by many hamster enthusiasts and are occasionally available on eBay.