PDA

View Full Version : Wet chin

lisa
05-03-2008, 03:12 AM
I have just cleaned all my hamsters out and I'm not happy with one of them, Hammy has a wet chin and some on her chest, its stained creamy/brown on her white fur. Her tongue looks a bit swollen as normally don't see it but now it's there without even opening her mouth if you know what I mean, really hard to explain in writing. What do you think is wrong with her. :? I have just been watching her fill her pouch with food, she won't use her left one, do you think there may be an infection or obstruction in there?

Theodore
05-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Sounds like over grown teeth to me that have caused an infection in her gum/pouch, and when she tries to eat, she scratches the infected bit and makes it weep. Get her down the vet :wink:

Bourne Valley Hams
05-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Are you able to see her teeth at all? The symptoms you describe are typical of a hamster whose teeth have become misalligned and have overgrown. It may be an impacted pouch but normally the pouch will look permanently full in that case.

agatecrystal
05-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Deffinetly best checking the teeth. If you are not sure let a vet take a look. Symptoms sound typical of a hammie with misalligned or overgrown teeth.

souffle
05-03-2008, 02:34 PM
If the teeth are misalighned they will need regular clipping. They can grow into the roof of the mouth and pierce it. Until you can see the vet and I know it is BH weekend and some are shut till Tuesday, I would feed her some soft food like porridge and babyfood so that she can eat without any pain. You could also soak some of the ham food a bit to soften it for now as you don't want her not getting enough food as she can't chew. Good luck at the vets.

lisa
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Checked her teeth they are not overgrown, she is eating well, very active, tongue still looks swollen. She is behaving her normal self, just has this wet chin/neck. will take her to vets tomorrow

Spuds Mum
05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
that would be best I think lisa - good luck, and hope she gets sorted! :D (glad her teeth are okay anyway)

sarahh
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Lisa good idea taking her to the vets. I hope the appointment goes ok and its just something simple. Let us know what happens.

Sarah x

newtohamsters
05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
tabitha is all dribbly again, her teeth must grow so quickly, so its off to the vets on Saturday,

Tabs turns her nose up at wet food (hipp baby food, farleys rusk in soya milk, or weetabix in soya milk) and still seems to eat the dried stuff - even tho last time she had dodgy teeth it seemed to hurt her. this time its only been 1 day with the dribbles and she is still quite perky.

sorry to butt in! just thought I would share the wonky teeth experience.

is there anything I can do to help the wear down?
and is the vet likely to prescribe baytril for the possible infection?

cheers

xx

newtohamsters
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
btw - any pictures of Hamsters over grown teeth, cos having had a look at Tabs they look ok to me? ie just like Willow who doesn't have that problem?