PDA

View Full Version : I've got a lovely pair of coconuts!

Laurenpops
11-27-2012, 05:44 AM
But no idea what to do with them! I picked up a couple of lovely coconuts from the grocers today 20p each!! I was wondering how to go about making them into a toy/hideyholes? Do I have to take all the hairy fibres off the outside? I was thinking saw one end leaving a big enough hole for dwarves to get in/out leaving an almost whole coconut shell so it was a nice large hide out but then dont know how I'd get the actually coconut out of it!? The only think I can think is sawing completely in half to remove the coconut and give them the halves to play with - perhaps hang one and one on floor? Help??

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
11-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Looool! Thank you for getting this song stuck in my head for the rest of the day :lol:

I think you would have to drill a hole into it, drain the milk and then scrape out the insides. I can't really think of any other way of doing it :)

Jessie
11-27-2012, 06:49 AM
I did this, but I didn't completely clean the inside, left little bits for them to chew on... they love coconut. But all I did was drill a hole, drain it and then I broke it by putting the end of a steel file in the drain hole and smacking it with a hammer. very very messy lol. Do it outside XD

vanilla-yazoo
11-27-2012, 06:54 AM
this sounds fun :D and i am singing the song too :D
for 20p what a bargain :D i think if you can drill a hole big enough for the hams to use that will be awesome :D if not sawing it will work :D

HollyHamster
11-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I have some coconut in the freezer from when I had hermit crabs. Its a few years old though and thus, its probably not any good anymore. I'll have to go and get a fresh coconut for the hams I guess.

Laurenpops
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys, I drilled a couple holes to drain and then sawed off one end..blimey coconut shell is tough!! Scooped out most of it but left a little for nibbles, and I took of some of the looser fibres from the outside as I wasnt sure if they were safe(?). It looks really good in their cage and they're loving it! going to get a bit more inventive with the other one tomorrow, daughter suggested a few holes to make a peekaboo tunnel and a friend said make one hole for them to get in and then small holes in one side to poke treats through which sounds kind of fun!

think i might go back and get more coconuts tomorrow :)

sully
11-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I felt sure this post was going to be about a 'boy' chinese hamster and how big he was! :D

petal10
11-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Haha sully!!!

Laurenpops, can we have a pic or two? :)

Jessie
11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
they will most likely clean the outside up and put the fibers in their nest areas, mine always do.. my houses only last a couple months until they completely shred them though lol.

HollyHamster
11-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Okay, who else has that Lion King bit stuck in their heads? You know. The part where Scar sings the Coconut Song? Yeah. Another Disney reference there for you. :mad:

petal10
11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Yes!! "Are you achin'... For some bacon.... He's a big pig! You could be a big pig too!" Ohh just realised that is a different part but I still associate it hehe

Biscotti
11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
I want to see some pics too! I tried to open a coconut one time but that didn't went too well, cut my fingers and the pieces made a big mess. Any tips? I'd love to give my hams a coconut hideout. :)

HollyHamster
11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Take a screwdriver and a hammer. Use the screwdriver as a chisel and pound on it with the hammer. Aim at one of the coconut's eyes and when you have a hole, pour out the milk. Then, there should be a line along the widest part of the coconut, at its middle. Use the screwdriver and chisel along that line until your coconut is in two pieces. You should then be able to easily peal out the meat.