PDA

View Full Version : Taming a Chinese

04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I was given a Chinese boy (of an undetermined age) by the owner of a rabbit rescue a month or two ago but I'm struggling to make any progress with handling him - admittedly, I have been a bit preoccupied with the robo baby explosion so he hasn't had as much attention as I'd have liked.

He's quite friendly. He comes out of his nest when he hears my voice and he's very happy to take treats from me. I think he really enjoys the company. But, whenever I let him on my hands (using a toilet roll to lift him out), he bites me. I have no idea of his background but can anyone suggest anything I can try please????

chase
05-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Our little Chinese is really very shy and would rather hide like I said to you when I met you. She has never bitten though. Its probably just extremely frightened. Have you tried putting her on your arm or jumper or something rather than bare hands for a couple of weeks. Just to build up your confidence & the hamsters. Also maybe put hamsters favourite treat on your hands when handling so they realise you aren't a threat. Dont know if that helps. :?: :shock:

Theodore
05-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Something that worked for me when taming Theo (who is a complete scaredy-cat!)was to put my hand in the cage and wiggle my index finger in the substrate. He couldn't resist coming to investigate :lol: :lol:

Holly
05-01-2008, 02:25 AM
I'd suggest simillar to Chase - get him out in the loo roll and take him to a dry bath - then let him run on your clothes for a few days before trying to put her on your hand.

Good luck!