PDA

View Full Version : My easy peasy DIY Play Pen

strawberrysmom
11-19-2012, 10:29 PM
This is a video of my play pen for my rodents. It's 55 inches by 28 inches which I think is about 4.5 feet by 2.3 feet.

All you need is Poster Board, "Duck" Tape, Velcro

kzuxyXMlLuA

Gibbs&JackBlack
11-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing :)

strawberrysmom
11-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Your welcome! I was hoping someone would find it useful.

lucy1666
11-20-2012, 02:21 PM
nice x cheap too

i got a bigger kinda version but it wasnt as cheap lol

Josh
12-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Haha, may I correct you there to avoid confusion?
It's duct tape, not duck tape :)

Sorry. I have bad ocd.

leedsgurl
12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Haha, may I correct you there to avoid confusion?
It's duct tape, not duck tape :)

Sorry. I have bad ocd.

Actually 'Duck' is a brand of tape, so either is correct :)

strawberrysmom
12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
That is Duck brand duct tape Josh.

Lougarry
12-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Yup, both are correct. A brief history lesson:

Duct Tape vs. Duck Tape - an explanation (http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html)

Pie
12-28-2012, 10:38 AM
This is awesome =) I have a similar one, it's really cheap and easy too.

Brovenger
12-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh man this is perfect! That size would fit great in my room, and I could let Nelly out and run around without worrying about her getting mixed in with my computer cables or lost under the bed.

What about something to put under it so I don't have a mess all over the carpet with hamster droppings? Would a tarp be okay for her to run around on?

strawberrysmom
12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
What I use for underneath is one of those "cargo" rubber /plastic mats you can get in the auto section of a store. I find they work great but you of course would be supervising them in there anyway so you'd notice if they begin chewing it or not!!!

I LOVE it - it's SO easy to store and very sturdy. And CHEAP!

NiChan
01-04-2013, 10:33 AM
:O Oh wow! This really helpful for me.
Though, I have to ask did you use those regular poster board that you are mostly like to find at a 99 cent store or did you use a certain type?
Because I think there are different types and I just want to make sure I get the right now :3
As for the tape and the fastener, can you get that at an store?

Sorry for asking so many questions n . n; I just want to be sure that everything I get and do for my hamster is safe > w <

strawberrysmom
01-04-2013, 12:06 PM
The board is the foam inside style so thicker than plain paper poster and I found mine at Walmart! And same with the tape and Velcro! The tape was in crafts department and the home improvement section. It's Duck brand tape and the Velcro is double sided. I will be making another soon but not as high but covers more area (going to cut each boaed section in half then connect. That way I can sit in and interact with them while they have even more area to free range!

NiChan
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
The board is the foam inside style so thicker than plain paper poster and I found mine at Walmart! And same with the tape and Velcro! The tape was in crafts department and the home improvement section. It's Duck brand tape and the Velcro is double sided. I will be making another soon but not as high but covers more area (going to cut each boaed section in half then connect. That way I can sit in and interact with them while they have even more area to free range!

Ah! Perfect! then I guess I am going to make a trip down to walmart as soon as I have the money and time.
Just wondering, instead of the poster board is it possible to use cardboard instead? The main reason I ask is because I have more access to the cardboard boxes so yea.

strawberrysmom
01-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I can't see why not! I only prefer the poster board because it is completely straight. The cardboard play pen has been done many a time - I've seen some DIY posts with cardboard. I just would think it needs to be undamaged - so there is no dent where the hamsters could get a tooth into the bottom or nose through and start working their way under it. The board I'm using is so flush to the mat they don't seem to even consider working on it to escape.

but cardboard would be even cheaper! Especially in my house where we do almost all our non-food item shopping online!

NiChan
01-05-2013, 12:50 AM
I can't see why not! I only prefer the poster board because it is completely straight. The cardboard play pen has been done many a time - I've seen some DIY posts with cardboard. I just would think it needs to be undamaged - so there is no dent where the hamsters could get a tooth into the bottom or nose through and start working their way under it. The board I'm using is so flush to the mat they don't seem to even consider working on it to escape.

but cardboard would be even cheaper! Especially in my house where we do almost all our non-food item shopping online!

Hmmm... Okay now I am getting some idea for the playpen now :]
Thanks for posting the DIY, this really seems alot cheaper and easier to do :3

Kiki_3173
01-20-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm going to be making a much smaller version of your playpen for Darwin today. I figure I might try giving him some playtime out of the cage again, but start with a smaller space than the bathroom floor :-). We have a pool table that is covered that we never use & my hubbie suggested making a playpen that could go on top of it. I'm going to start small & make a pen that covers only 1/2 of the pool table and we'll see from there. All of his playtime would be supervised (of course)...especially because he is on top of the pool table!

strawberrysmom
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Lol! I love that he is on a pool table !!!!

DrKMcK
01-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Yup, both are correct. A brief history lesson:

Duct Tape vs. Duck Tape - an explanation (http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html)

LOL. Now that's an explaination! Thanks. :-D

DrKMcK
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I spend time reading in bed and I bought a little hamster playpen so I could have them nearby and keep an eye on them. I found out that the playpen is really only good for dwarf hammys. My Syrians climb over it in record time. Your idea, especially the additional idea about a smaller version cut down so you can be in the pen gave me an idea. I can do the same thing and make it a little smaller than my bed. My guys can be with me and be safe too without me worrying that they'll fall off the bed. Look at how your idea is just making ripples. :-D

strawberrysmom
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Now that is an idea!!!! And such a cozy one!!!!!! I love it!!!!

j.j.
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Nice idea Strawberry!

Lloydhammy
05-29-2013, 04:12 PM
very cool!! IF It wasn't pourrrrring I would go to the dollar store and see what they have! Maybe tomorrow it will be nice ..lol

mandyseley
05-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Great idea! Thanks for this! :D

In case it's helpful, the kind of board you're using is also called "foam core" or "foam board." May be useful if anyone's having trouble finding it!