PDA

View Full Version : Extended Hamster Heaven... 1 VERY spoilt Hammy :)

Dougal_Ham
11-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi All,

Here is Dougal's now completed extension.

This is 2 Hamster Heavens joined together.

They are joined via a tube network running through the base.

The bottom cage I have left as a quiet sleeping area, with lots of things to chew, his food and drink and his sleeping box - a cat food box.

His top cage is Dougal's play time area.

The majority of his toys and his shelves are hand made.

The shelves are an old chopping board,
His hammock is a towel,
His cargo nets I made following a video on Youtube using old lengths of climbing rope and fastening with Karabinas.

Dougal is having a whale of a time this evening - my spoilt boy :D

Any questions,

Please ask :)

xx.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=19af185795&view=att&th=13b005441c9d753c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8Z4M0sH7TEqvmYpSIFqPf6&sadet=1352927909223&sads=EPKoLna8RbOvjuld5Fbq8ziZ178

souffle
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
The picture doesn't seen to be showing Dougal. I'm sure he loves his large apartment!

Flamestriker
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
I have always wondered how you spell Karabina.

Nope the pic isn't working for me either:(

And I really wanna see this cage:)

Dougal_Ham
11-14-2012, 03:18 PM
The picture doesn't seen to be showing Dougal. I'm sure he loves his large apartment!

Ah, yes you are right this photo doesn't do him justice...

Dougal was in a tube as I took this!

Unfortunately Dougal is not the type of hamster that likes to stand still for longer than a nano second so here are the best I could do...

If you want to see anything specifically then please just ask.

OK... I am trying to upload photos from my computer but it just isn't happening...

Can anyone help ...

As soon as I can, I will show you all around Dougal's new mansion :)

Dougal_Ham
11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Here are some more piccys...

Anything you want to see specifically... just ask and I will do my best to show you Dougal's new mansion :)

xx.

Gibbs&JackBlack
11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow-that is really great! Great job. That is one lucky ham!

Dougal_Ham
11-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Wow-that is really great! Great job. That is one lucky ham!

Thank you. :)

He is certainly spoilt!!

Xx.

souffle
11-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Aww that looks fab... I see the little fellow now :) He is lovely :)
I like the way you have adapted a new spindle for the Jumbo rolly wheel. They always break. Maybe you could do a few pics on how you did that in the DIY area for us?
Just one thing I'd take care with is the fibres on the white hammock. They can eat those or get tangled round toes and cause damage so keep an eye on that.

Dougal_Ham
11-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Thank you :)

Those Savic wheel spindles are terrible... after going through three I decided that there had to be something better.

So my OH and I rigged up a spindle using a bolt, 2 washers and 2 base plates... I will post instructions this afternoon. :)

As for the hammock fibres... I did keep a close eye on this when I first put them in but Dougal doesn't ever chew anything that isn't his willow ball!!

I have had two of those hammocks in there now for 6 months and he hasn't touched them... he just enjoys sitting on it and swinging... same as his pink swing bowl... he sits in there for ages just swinging!!

The rope I have used for the hammock is a length of my climbing rope... it is specifically designed not to shred which is why I used it.

I will try and find a better picture of Dougal (this is now his 2nd name as he started life as a girl!! :) ) but as soon as I pull out a camera he turns his back on me!!

xx.

Dougal_Ham
11-15-2012, 04:37 AM
Aww that looks fab... I see the little fellow now :) He is lovely :)
I like the way you have adapted a new spindle for the Jumbo rolly wheel. They always break. Maybe you could do a few pics on how you did that in the DIY area for us?
Just one thing I'd take care with is the fibres on the white hammock. They can eat those or get tangled round toes and cause damage so keep an eye on that.

Here are some better photos of my gorgeous boy :)

souffle
11-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Aww what a sweetie :) He is a Cinnamon banded hamster in colour and very handsome :)

petal10
11-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Oh wow, such a cutie pie!!

bgfloyd
11-20-2012, 03:13 AM
I love the photo of Dougal in your hand!

Quedos
11-20-2012, 03:45 AM
I love that Cage. Makes me want to be another heaven!! How did you connect the top and bottom - did you cut a hole in the base?
My local boarder already reckons my hammi is spoilt with one cage!!
Dougal is so gorgeous too.

Dougal_Ham
11-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Hi Quedos,

The two bases are connected via tubing.

There is one hole in the base of the top cage.

I used a hole saw bit to cut a perfect circle in the cage.

This not only meant a tidy hole but it also means that I can plug the hole with one of those Rotastak hole bungs if I need to separate the cages.

Thankfully both of these cage I managed to get for under £5 so it hasn't been a huge investment to extend him :)

xx.

petal10
11-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Aww he is so cute!

Petite1
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
What did you use once you made the hole in the top cage to attach the tubes to base?

Dougal_Ham
11-22-2012, 08:40 AM
What did you use once you made the hole in the top cage to attach the tubes to base?

Hi,

I havent actually used anything fancy...

The hole is large enough for the tube to fit exactly through.

So all I have done is fed the tube through hole in the base and cover in sawdust...

Xx.

Dougal_Ham
11-23-2012, 03:13 AM

The tube that runs between top and bottom cage...

Dougal_Ham
11-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Hi All,

Bit of an update...

Had a bit of a play around with Dougal's space and changed his bottom apartment layout...

So far so good and he loves it!!

Petite1
11-25-2012, 01:18 PM
did you measure the tubes for the size of the hole to put tubes through would like to do this with mine hhs but a bit scared of messing it all up lol

Petite1
11-25-2012, 01:19 PM
ps thanks for sharing pics of tubes

TraceyH
11-25-2012, 01:36 PM
That's good he likes a double cage. I tried a similar idea when I connected my two criceti15s together, but the hamster seemed to spend all his time in just one of the cages.