PDA

View Full Version : weetabix and milk

joe14
04-27-2008, 08:09 AM
is it ok to give hamsters weetabix and milk? I sometimes give Zuke some and today I gave him weetabix and cat milk as I had some what I use for the ferrets as they're lactose intolerant. Zuke loved it :x I also used to give my other hamster rolled oats and milk.. just wondered if I'm doing right by this? :?

Spuds Mum
04-27-2008, 08:41 AM
hamsters love porridge, wheatabix, rice pudding etc. with milk. A lot of people suggest that hamsters can be lactose intolerant too and say that they should have kitten milk or lactol, but some people find that normal milk is okay in small quantities!

Mine like cheerios too, shredded wheat, readybrek, anything like that Joe14! :D

If you do a search for lactol on the forum I bet you will come up with loads of ideas :wink:

souffle
04-27-2008, 09:14 AM
They also like the little mini weetabix dry to nibble :lol:

Jane
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Mine like weetabix :) They love other cereals too, and porridge is a big hit! I use normal milk with mine..some people say they're lactose intolerent but I know a lot of breeders use normal milk so one day I just decided to try normal milk and they've been fine with it.

Just out of curiousity though, where can I get lactose from? Is it expensive??

Yaffle
04-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I got my lactol from p@h I think it was about £8 for a big tin which will last forever!

My hammies love raisin wheats, but so do I so they don't often get them :lol:

Gust0o
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I think most pet shops carry Lactol, I just don't think it will be in the hamster section - my local store carries it with the puppy supplies, as it's used as a supplement for other animals.

Just ask - and, in hamster doses, a tin should last forever :)

souffle
04-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Our pet shop has the smaller tin which was about £5. Good if you only have a few hammies. If yours are fine on milk Jane I would stick with that.

ad36
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
This was interesting as I have never considered giving my hamsters cereals etc with milk. Can I ask is it something you give daily or as a treat on occasions. Also is it ok for all breeds to try? Thanks

souffle
04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
We would only give it once a week to grown adults and more frequently to babies and golden oldies. You can give it to all types. Just avoid the sugary ones though.