PDA

View Full Version : Sleep tight Dexter 1/11/09 - 8/11/12

purple_x
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I will keep this short because I keep crying :(

My gorgeous little man was put to sleep at 3.10pm today.

I am heartbroken and miss him like mad already.
I've had to put his empty cage in the hallway cupboard because I cant look at it without him in it without crying.

I got Dexter back in January 2009.
I went into my local pet shop one day and looked at the tank of hamsters....one of them was climbing all over the place and managed to climb onto the top of the water bottle and was then too scared to get down!
I fell in love with him there and then and decided to take him home where I had a HH waiting for him.
When I got him home he was sooooo shy and refused to come out of his box for 3 days!
He came round very quickly though and was soon a very tame and friendly hamster.

We've had nearly 3 years together and I have loved every minute I've spent with my little Dex.

He celebrated his 3rd birthday last thursday :D

I miss him and I will keep missing him, he was my little baby and I still cant really believe he's gone.

Sleep tight Dexter, remember that mummy loves you so very much.
x x x

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i407/purple_x/P1010258.jpg

Cuddles with mummy
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i407/purple_x/P1010684.jpg

Call me Alison
11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm so sorry hun.

dexter had a great life with you.

sleep well beautiful boy xxxxx

kyrilliondaemon
11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry. Rest well Dexter

RachK
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Purple I am so sorry you've lost Dexter. He lived a happy long life with you. I know it's no consolation at the moment. Huge hugs to you xxx

Flamestriker
11-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh Purple I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way xx

Play well at the bridge lil Dexter

GhostsInSnow
11-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss Purple. I know you were expecting it but it doesn't make it any easier *hugs*
You gave him a wonderful life and he was loved very very much. I'm sure he couldn't have asked for a better hamster mummy :)

Play well at the bridge little Dexter xx

Petite1
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
So sorry for you loss, im crying here for you as i knowhats its like to lose an old friend, he
was loved and well cared for thats all we can do, hell be playing on the bridge, thinking of you xx

The Hamster's family
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry hun... You took great care of him and it shows... He will keep an eye on you and he surely has a lot of gratitude towards you for loving him the way you did and to have put him out of his misery... Thinking of you and sending you hugs and kisses...

Rest well, little Dexter and blow a little kiss to you mommy once a while... Have fun at the Bridge... Xxxx

Annie xxx

gutterglitterxx
11-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a feeling this was coming but hoped for better. Dexter obviously had an amazing life with you and was very loved.

Eventually thoughts of him will bring you smiles instead of tears.

Play well and sleep tight, Dexter. xxxxx

Tammanae
11-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. The passing away of a loved one, no matter how tiny, is always an ache in the heart. He couldn't have asked for a better home, and I am certain he lived his life happily by your side. Have fun at the Bridge little guy, and many hugs sent your way, Purple.

Womblehands
11-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Sleep well beautiful boy..

mmmim256
11-08-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm soo sorry. I know it's tough just keep strong.

purple_x
11-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Thank you everyone.
I feel quite silly because I just keep thinking about him and bursting into tears :(

I've got to clean his cage out today too, that is going to really upset me.

GhostsInSnow
11-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Awwwh that's not silly, it's perfectly normal
I cried for days when I lost each of my mice. You get attached and get used to seeing them all the time and they become a part of your routine, it's hard but absolutely normal to have a good cry.
Just remember how much you loved and still love him and how much joy he gave you. Try and remember the good times *hugs* being so upset just shows how much you love and care for him

Silver
11-09-2012, 04:56 AM
So very sorry Purple for your loss.

You gave him freedom

Play well at the bridge Dexter. Look down & blow a kiss to your mummy every now & then.

Many hugs

Silver, Jan & Amy xxx

Quedos
11-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Sorry for loss, Its not any easier when you expect it :-( He's had a happy and wonderful life with you.
and don't feel silly for crying - he was loved and you miss him.

((((hugs))))

shiny
11-10-2012, 09:09 AM
So sorry Purple. I just read your other thread about the tough decision you had to make for Dexter. It's never easy but we know when it's time & can at least feel we have shown the last act of love & kindness to our pets when we have to make this decision for them.

Dexter was an amazing age & it sounds like he had a completely lovely life with you. I'm sure that soon you will be able to look back fondly & remember more of the happy things about his life with you without so much of the pain & loss that you are feeling at the moment. It does get easier but we never forget our special companions.

Best wishes to you from shiny & the hammies

HammieandMerlin
11-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Purple, I am so so so sorry, your bond with him sounds one in a million, what a special boy xx

btw don't you even think about feeling silly. It's been like 8 months since I lost Sheldon, and little things STILL get me sometimes, it's just a reflection of what he meant to you

Pompompoms
11-11-2012, 10:06 AM
So so sorry Purple, I was a real fan of Dexter, and was so happy when he reached his third birthday. He had a life filled with love with you, and as you know, you gave him the kindest gift of all at the end when he needed you the most. He will pop in on you to make sure you're ok, don't worry about crying, it is never silly to mourn that which you have loved. Play well lovely Dexter, you will be missed xxx

cathface
11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, purple! :( sleep tight, little Dex.

gutterglitterxx
11-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Thank you everyone.
I feel quite silly because I just keep thinking about him and bursting into tears :(

I've got to clean his cage out today too, that is going to really upset me.

It's not silly at all. I went through the same thing after my Fluffy passed. It took me almost a week to get up strength enough to clean her cage. And even then I only did it because I kept looking at her cage and expecting to see her. :(

Time is the only true healer... It will get easier, I promise. But for now, you do whatever you need to do to ease the pain. Cry! It's perfectly okay.

Much love. xx

souffle
11-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I am so very sorry purple but what a life shared that little lad had. He could never have wanted for better and giving him the last great gift of peaceful rest was a brave and special thing to do.
Look out for a rainbow sweetie as some time when you least expect it, he will send you one to show he is playing at the bridge.
xxx

Lynternette
11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm so sorry to hear your news. Dexter had a long and happy life with a mummy who cared for him and loved him. We open our hearts to these little guys and we're the richer for it.

Run free Dexter, xxx