PDA

View Full Version : DIY Playpen (Help Needed)

HollyHamster
11-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Recently, I decided that I want my Holly to have more time out of her cage/tank. After thinking it over, and asking for suggestions on how to make my room safer for her, I decided on creating a playpen. However, I don't know where to begin! My questions are these:

What should I make the playpen out of?

Will a large commercially sold pen, specifically designed for housing small animals, be appropriate, or would Holly be able to escape from it easily on the off chance that I turn my back on her for a moment?

How big should I make it?

I only have a few square feet in which to put the playpen, so is this enough?

How can I make it easily able to be put away in the closet?

I want to make a pen that can collapse when not in use and then be placed in my closet, can it be done?

I have more questions but this will do for now.

Gibbs&JackBlack
11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
You could look at the pop up type nylon pens like this:
Amazon.com: Best Pet Folding Play Pen - M - Burgundy: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/Best-Pet-Folding-Play-Pen/dp/B002ABKBQA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1352134410&sr=8-13&keywords=travel+pet+pen)

But they could still chew through it of course if left alone for too long. I'd also be afraid they'd try to climb the mesh wall and nails get stuck?

I've heard of others using something like this but I haven't.

I actually use a small size hard plastic baby pool-works great! But of course, it doesn't fold up. I just lean it against the wall in the back yard. I've never had any hams that could get over the side even though it's only about 9 inches tall? It's slippery though so they just slide down.

Another idea is get some coroplast (corrugated plastic sheets) and cut them down to height you want and then score them so they fold. You would still have to duck tape some ends together but you could just fold it up accordian style when done.

Biscotti
11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I second coroplast sheets as they can be cut to the size you need. Although instead of duct tape, I'd suggest using painter's tape (those blue rolls) since they're much easier to rip off once you're done with the session and need to fold it up.

Emanon
11-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Personally I intend to make a playpen out of a simple clear plastic storage bin I'm going to pick up at the store, I think. Sturdy, clear, high walled, cheap. Seems perfect to me. Fill with bedding or a towel and add lots of interesting toys seems the way to go. ;)

gutterglitterxx
11-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I used one very similar to the one that Gibbs&JackBlack linked to above. I loved it for a long time! But then one day a particularly feisty Jasmine chewed her way out of it. Luckily I always have an eye on them so she didn't get far but now I'm nervous to get another one like it. But in fairness, Jasmine is quite a loose canon so I wouldn't assume that all hammies would be as destructive as her. :p

HollyHamster
11-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Thank you, everyone.

I did look into that folding playpen, but I think its designed more so for kittens, puppies, and ferrets. They really didn't have chew happy hams in mind for that one.

I will look into the fereplast and the huge storage bin too.

SoapyVP
11-06-2012, 02:09 AM
I use correx. And those big document clips to hold the pieces together. Can take it down and put it up easily. There's a thread on here about how to make one. If I was clever I'd put a link to it. But I'm not. I looked at the folding fabric playpens and everyone said the hammies will chew their way out. The way they've destroyed the towel I put under the playpen I think they were right. Good luck. It's great fun watching them in there. :-)

SammyJo
11-06-2012, 04:31 AM
I've got one of the nylon folding ones. For me it's worked great. Though the base is only velcro-ed on in a 8 small pieces, so I've sewn on velcro all the way. I like that it has a water bottle hole and holder in it. But I guess it depends how much of a chewer your hamster is? My previous chinese just used to run about and play with their toys.