PDA

View Full Version : Screen top?

Fullmoonnight
10-27-2012, 12:42 AM
So I need to make a screen top like this Zilla Fresh Air Screen Cover With Center Hinge - Accessories - Habitats & Decor - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752186&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInCA%2FNo) because my tank is an odd size and these don't fit :???: I really like having something with easy access so the center hinge is awesome ;) I'm not quite so sure about how to go about it though. I was thinking I would use some long, thin wood pieces as a frame and then glue the mesh on before adding another wood frame on to avoid cuts. ( like sandwiching the mesh in between two wooden frames.) This would be pretty easy for a full screen lid but for hinged...I'm not sure :/

lucyeleanor
11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
This is essentially what I am going to be doing to make new lids for my hammys bincages (they all suddenly took to chewing huge holes in their lids...).

Your sandwiching idea sounds like it would work. My only suggestion is that you might want to make it so that the lid is bigger than your tank, so that the wooden edging rests around the edge of the tank, rather than resting on top, so it can't be pushed off/slide off accidentily.

To do the half hinge, just make 2 mesh lids half the size of the tank each, then connect them with some door hinges from a hardware store :)

Fullmoonnight
11-08-2012, 01:53 AM
This is essentially what I am going to be doing to make new lids for my hammys bincages (they all suddenly took to chewing huge holes in their lids...).

Your sandwiching idea sounds like it would work. My only suggestion is that you might want to make it so that the lid is bigger than your tank, so that the wooden edging rests around the edge of the tank, rather than resting on top, so it can't be pushed off/slide off accidentily.

To do the half hinge, just make 2 mesh lids half the size of the tank each, then connect them with some door hinges from a hardware store :)

Thanks I've resorted to mesh and this plastic binder/divider thing I dunno but it works XD It just rests on top now and will be weighed and clipped down :) The tank top is weird as well it was built custom for a commercial fish store so many things about it seems weird... I can't let it go off it seems though instead I have to cut it so it falls into the grooves on the top.