PDA

View Full Version : using mdf board for hamster cage items?

Dave W
10-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before. But I was getting the mesh for the bin cages today and I noticed some very workable thickness mdf board in Wickes that would be good for making little structures, huts etc for hamsters.

So the question is, can mdf be safely used for items for hamster cages?. Do we even know what wood is used in mdf?.

Pouches
10-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Noooo! The adhesives used to hold it together is toxic, also when it gets wet it de-laminates and that begs hammie to chew on it. I don't know what kind of wood you would be able to find that would be suitable, I know that pine and cedar are definitely not.

walfy
10-05-2012, 01:21 PM
MDF, medium density fibreboard is engineered from wood products formed by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, then combining it with wax and resin binders. There are many safety concerns relating to MDF so I would think it inappropriate to use it for an animal that may chew on it as Formaldehyde resins are commonly used to bind it together, plus if it gets wet it literally falls apart.

Dave W
10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, wouldn't be as much fun as working with the ice lolly sticks anyway.

sully
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, wouldn't be as much fun as working with the ice lolly sticks anyway.

That made me laugh! :D