PDA

View Full Version : Pipsqueak

Pouches
10-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I have cared for, and loved all of the hammies that I have owned however Pip has a special place in my heart, like they all do. But Pip has an amazing story that I have to share.
Pip was the runt of the first litter I bred. His mother Mocha was the most calm and docile syrian I have ever met other than her counterpart Milo. Mocha shared a cage with Simon (the last Campbell's Russian, who lived an astonishing 19 months) when Pip was born Simon would go into the nest and keep the pups warm when Mocha would leave to eat or whatever she had to do. Pip was born with a bum left front leg, I don't know if it was because of his position in the womb or something that happened during birth. When Pip began to walk he would hobble around on three legs with the bum on lifted up in front of him. I spent about an hour each night working with him. I would put him on the table and gently press the palm of my hand down on him so that he would have to use all four legs to crawl out . After about three weeks of this he had built up enough strength in his leg to start walking on it.
My girlfriend and I were planning on going home to visit her family for the holiday and we were going to take Milo with us, so as I was cleaning Mocha, Simon and Pips cage, I somehow spooked Simon. He pounced on Pip and bit him, the bite was superficial and it was nothing more than flesh. But it was still a huge wound none the less. I cleaned the wound and put a ton of antibiotic ointment on it, but we expected the worst. We took Pip with us, and every couple hours I would reapply the antibiotic ointment. My girlfriends mother (who is a nurse) even said she didn't expect him to survive the night.
We woke up the next morning expecting to find Pip had passed overnight. Boy were we in for a surprise, Pip was up and running in his wheel like nothing had happened. For that day and the next I keep the wound clean and the ointment on it the best I could. The wound healed and Pip never missed a step. Six months later I was sitting at my computer doing some paperwork and all of a sudden Pip come walking over to the keyboard. His cage was on the desk too, so I figured that maybe I had forgotten to close his cage. I usually have a cage on my computer desk and I usually leave the cage open so that when I'm working they can come visit me. I put Pip back in his cage, and closed the door. Next thing I know, I hear a pop and here come Pip, right back to see me. (I've posted a link to the video)
We had to euthanize Pip in December of 2010 because he had developed arthritis in his back legs really bad and was having trouble getting around his cage and even getting up on his feet.
We both miss him very much :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9VBxJNF45E

Pompompoms
10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Pip sounds like a beautiful ham and a true fighter to overcome everything that happened to him. No matter how much time passes we always miss special little ones. Play well little Pip xx

souffle
10-09-2012, 04:34 AM
What a beautiful tribute. I am sorry for your loss :(
Play well at the bridge Pip x

Lynternette
10-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Pip sounded a right little bundle of mischief and also a brave little fighter. xxx

Play well Pip. xxx

The Hamster's family
10-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Sorry for your loss... He seemed to be a courageous lil fella !!

Play well at the bride, lil one...

Annie xx