PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking

Lady Fluff
04-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Over the last week, Pumpkin has started squeaking. I haven't changed anything in her cage recently, apart from her wheel, and she was squeaking before that arrived. At first I thought it might be hiccups, but she seems to squeak for a couple of minutes every day now. She's 19 months old - is this normal? Sound wise, it's almost like Sweep, from Sooty, but less artificial..

Also, on a similar line, Clover is still baby-squeaking a little - when does this normally stop? I love it, and I want to know how long I can cherish it for!

Spuds Mum
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Clover is the easiest one to answer about - she will, unfortunately soon stop that adorable noise Ive found :( It seems to be that they just take a while to step into their 'big grown up shoes' and stop calling for Mum and their littermates. You may find that she does still occasionally make noise - mine often do the 'sneezy squeak' when they're in season - calling out to the boys :roll:

If Pumpkin seems healthy I am sure there is no need to worry, but do keep an eye on her health-wise. Since having her last litter in November, Princess wakes up each night with squeaks and 'sneezy' noises for about 5 minutes. She's the picture of health and the only thing we can think is that she has just got used to making the noise when she had her litter, and actually 'likes the sound of her own voice! :roll: Bramble's Dad was upset that she was calling to her little lost babies at first, but as this has continued, I'm sure its not the reason! If anyone knows any other reasons, then I, like Lady Fluff, would love to hear of them! :D

souffle
04-20-2008, 03:42 PM
I wonder if Pumpkin is actually squeaking at Clover. She may be indicating that this is her territory and Clover should not come in here :? She can likely smell her.
Keep an eye on her for wheezing or signs of difficult breathing but I am sure she is fine.

Lady Fluff
04-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I don't think she's squeaking at her, as she started before Clover arrived. She doesn't seem to be in any distress (unlike me when I first heard her do it!) so I guess she's OK then, and has just discovered how to be vocal!

Holly
04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
I've no idea why she's suddently started - just to say that all mine squeak on a regular basis like they are talking to each other (or rather shouting when it's the downstairs ones calling to the upstairs ones :wink: ).

agatecrystal
04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
My girl Thorny began squeaking the other day, she was frantically running around the cage squeaking. This was a day after I cleaned her out and she had no babies - I believe she thought she still had babies somehow as she was still covering the nest up even though there was nothing in there. I think this to be the reason mine was squeaking, I'd moved her nest and she was upset that it was gone. :(
I'm not sure why your little one is squeaking she may just be a bit vocal :D