PDA

View Full Version : Newest foster cases. (sad)

HollyHamster
09-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Recently, there was a raid on a puppy mill in my area and calls went out to a lot of places to help find the many dogs and puppies new homes. It was of course, centered around the toy breeds.

So, Mom and I have a couple of dogs we are fostering. An absolutely poorly pekinese. She has almost no hair and is missing an eye. Her remaining eye is probably not seeing well and she might be a little deaf. She has itchy scabby skin that sometimes oozes clear stuff from her scratching it and is swollen into thick wrinkles around her tail, legs and neck. She is slowly coming around and acclimating to life in a real home for the first time in her life. The thing is, that her belly is looking swollen, or so we think. We really don't know how a pekinese should look, so we can only attempt a guess that its either worms, or worse, a pregnancy. She is in no state to have a litter of puppies. If it is pregnancy, there is the real possibility of having to terminate it for the well being of the dog. For obvious reasons. I don't want to post pictures of her, just to not disturb anyone who is sensitive to that sort of thing. We bathed her in a special shampoo with hydro cortisone and other soothing things to calm her skin and clean her up. She was very dirty and didn't like being bathed at all.

The other case is a Boston terrier mommy with three puppies. She has two little girls, one of which is the runt and is very weak, and a very fat little boy. They are around two weeks old and as cute as can be. Momma has hair loss on her back and is very itchy. We bathed her in a soothing oatmeal shampoo to calm her irritated skin and to not impose a problem on the puppies. She has diarrhea and thankfully its no longer bloody. We are feeding her a bland diet of cooked chicken, cooked rice and canned carrots in chicken stock until her stools harden. I am going to post pictures of this case. She and her puppies are just too cute not to.

HollyHamster
09-27-2012, 07:25 PM
We are calling the little fat boy puppy Winston Churchill. :-P

CJayy
09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
That's so sad. My boyfriend and I foster kittens who are sick or underweight for adoption, we try to avoid bottle babies. it makes it interesting considering we have our two ham boys.

HollyHamster
09-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, bottle babies have a poor rate of survival. I am looking up ways to wean the puppies when the time comes. I think I am going to mix wet puppy food with water til its a soup and pour it into a flat dish or saucer and let the puppies try that while Mommy is taken away for a break. Thankfully I think I have a week or two before I have to worry about weaning them yet.