PDA

View Full Version : Remember Pidgey?

Queen Of The High Teas
09-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Some of you may remember a month or so back I found and rescued a racing pigeon, who couldn't fly properly, so I decided to keep him. Well as time has gone on, I started to think he could really do with a friend for company, but didn't want to get another one, and apparently they can't live with budgies/canarie type birds, so I was a bit stuck. Then last saturday evening I found another pigeon up on our shed roof, a much tamer one, who within minutes flew down to me and perched on my arm, and I put him in the cage with Pidgey. Both of them got on immediately, but this one could fly perfectly fine, so being caged up seemed unfair, yet it also seemed unfair to split them up now. So I decided that it would be for the best if they both went to a more suitable place than what I have for them, and this morning I have taken them to a lovely new home on the Wales/England border, at an animal sanctuary. The place was amazing, full of cages and they had loads of animals, I could of spent all day looking around!, and they had a huge enclosure for birds with lots of other doves/pigeons in it. I am sure they will be happy there, as there is plenty of space, other pigeons for company, no cats or birds of prey to catch them, and no pigeon racer who'll dispose of them for being crap racing birds. They can live out their days in safety and comfort. I will miss them as I'd gotten used to them, but I feel happier knowing I've done my best for them and their now in a much more suitable home. I may be able to go back and visit them at some point, and so the cage isn't empty and lifeless looking I have decided to put the rabbits in there instead.

Moodle
09-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Aww that sounds great for them!

sully
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Did the tame one have a ring on and maybe he was also a homing pigeon?

Queen Of The High Teas
09-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Yes, but as soon as he'd eaten, he went as wild as the other one, in fact wilder, so I couldn't manage to read it. I guess when their hungry they loose their fear of strangers. Anyway, if he was a racing bird and had also gotten lost, chances are he wouldn't of been any good as a racer anymore either.

sully
09-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Oh i see, in one of the towns near me there are always pigeons but recently there has been one with a blue leg ring.