PDA

View Full Version : Komodo terrariums - the whole range

p_anda
09-26-2012, 05:11 AM
I decided to review the new glass terrarium I bought for Princess from the Komodo range. I've had it for a month and a half, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it.

General Information
Unfortunately, Komodo do not have their own site, because of this I will link the 888reptiles site as a reference for the range below:

Triple 8 Reptiles - Glass Terrariums (Komodo) (http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productmanufacturerssubcat.php?ManufacturerID=95&SubCategoryID=208)

888reptiles.co.uk lists all the sizes, but I did not buy mine from them - I bought it from LittleBigPet: Komodo Glass Habitats (http://www.littlebigpet.co.uk/reptiles/komodo-glass-habitats-c-147_152_159.html)

I bought the Top Opening 60x30x45cm (lxwxh) because it fit the bookcase I have perfectly - if I could have put it somewhere else, I would have bought the 100x45x50cm one. (I would upload pictures but my phone is refusing to let me)

As you can see, they have a lot of different sizes and you can choose from 3 designs:
1. Top opening only ready assembled: This is what I have. These terrariums only open from the top, and are the cheapest, and they come in 3 different sizes.
2. Top and Front opening ready assembled: These have sliding doors and a top opening, and a very low rim at the front to keep substrate in. There are 11 different sizes.
3. Top and Front opening flat packed: For some reason, the flat packed version has a different design, having a tall rim, holes for any cables, and a lock for the sliding doors. They come in 6 different sizes. You have to put it together yourself with just a screwdriver I believe. Obviously this design has the advantage of being easily taken apart thus easily transported, not to mention the lock with a key to keep nosy hands out! (you could still open it from the top - but if you put it somewhere where it can't be accessed from the top should solve this problem.)

All the designs have a ventilation grill on the side as well.

The Review
The first impression after it arrived: well-made and sturdy, yet not too heavy for me to pick up from the floor and carry it. The base is thicker than the glass on the sides, and is black for some reason. (?) all the edges and corners are protected by black rubber, the bottom corners have extra plastic thingies on them with the Komodo trademark (a komodo dragon) Also there's a little dragon at the top. The top grill is very secure, there are four clips you have to press to release and lift it. I got extra clips with mine. The mesh is metal painted black, with small enough gaps to keep insects in, so you could live feed insects if you wanted to. Overall I'd say it would be difficult for a child to take off the top and it could hold a few kilos should a cat happen to jump on it.The bottom is entirely waterproof (not that it matters). The glass seems to to be quiet resistant to scratching or scraping.

Quality: 10/10 for sure.
Value: 10/10, I paid £55, Komodo terrariums are by far the cheapest
Practical: 9/10, obviously carrying it is more awkward than a plastic cage
Sizes: 10/10, they have a very wide range of sizes and different combinations of the dimensions, it's not all 30cm wide like you get with most tanks.
Aesthetics: 10/10, I can't say there's anything wrong with the way it looks - it's sleek and elegant.

The side ventilation is definitely a plus if you purchase a tall one (I did) so you needn't worry about condensation.

I will try and put some pictures up in the future.

Hope this was helpful for anyone considering a terrarium, if you have any questions, just ask. :)