PDA

View Full Version : Winter whites.

Goatie
09-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Hi can anyone help me. I have posted before about wanting a WW. I have tried e-mailing a few breeders on the Northern Hamster Club list, but alas know one has replied. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne and would love a Normal colour WW. Does anyone know of a breeder near to me please.

Catherine Spark
09-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Heya Goatie - I'm sorry I can't help you, but I hope you find your Winter White soon. Is rescuing one an option? You could try looking on sites like preloved or pets4homes, Craiglist or gumtree and see what happens - although often it's heartbreaking to do so because of all the other little faces you see! A rescue one would almost certainly be hybrid though, I suppose.

souffle
09-19-2012, 09:43 AM
There are not many breeders of WW in the Northern Area at the moment I'm afraid. The only one I know is Nooboo hamstery in Manchester.
It's a shame that you didn't get to Rotherham show as there was a Southern breeder there and loads for sale :(

Goatie
09-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Thanks Catherine and Souffle, I have tried rescue centers but had know luck. I have been told of a pet shop in Darlington which sells WWs, apparently the owner breeds them so sometimes has them for sale. So far that seems my best bet, but he has none at present. I am determent to get one so would still like it if anyone else can help. This may sound stupid, but why are WWs so hard to get hold of. I did not think they were that new to the market.

Bekki2308
09-20-2012, 03:53 AM
I am pretty sure teh breeder in darlington has stopped breeding.

RachK
09-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Bekki, yes the home breeder packed in but Dave who runs the Pet Shop took on a few from him. He gave me one of the little girls Peggy a few weeks ago as she had already had two litters. At the moment nothing is happening but he paired up a Pearl boy & Agouti girl when I was in the other day. So fingers crossed there will be some babies soon. :) Although I know that WW's tend to not breed through the Autumn/Winter.

I don't know how l much longer he can do it though, as with having such a small group he can't keep breeding them.

Bekki2308
09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Rach K can you give me the address of the shop I might snap me up a little WW :D before they end up getting stock from elsewhere and hybridising their lines (it may well happen!)

RachK
09-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Sent you a pm Bekki. :)

Goatie
09-21-2012, 02:56 AM
I have been in touch with the pet shop. He tells me he has someone else who also supplies him with WWs. Which could be good news as if I get two so as to breed I would need to get them from different lines. I must say I have been very pleased with all the help and advice I have had from this forum. Thanks everyone x

souffle
09-21-2012, 03:06 AM
Goatie if you get them from a pet shop even from one who breeds them themselves then they are very very likely to be hybrids.
With breeding WW you MUST get a pedigree and from a reliable source. An NHC registered member breeding WW to show and to better the lines will not let you breed their animals to pet shop lines because of the hybridisation issues. Hamsters with a hybrid background can suffer all sorts of problems like diabetes, glaucoma and birthing difficulties and it is never worth the risk.
If the pet shop does have pure lines though and can provide a pedigree then that would be excellent.

Gizmodo ^_^
09-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I know this has come up before about our Pet Shop. Everyone has seen how healthy our little WW hamsters are. Dave didn't breed them himself until recently. I have never seen any other colours in his hamsters apart from the usual WW colours. Of course I'm not naive & maybe there was some mixing a long time ago. I shall have a chat when I next go in.

RachK
09-22-2012, 10:30 AM
By the way guys that was my post! The son has been on my PC I didn't realize it was his user name logged in. :)

Gizmodo ^_^
09-22-2012, 10:32 AM
This time its me posting:

ALso i think it shows how healthy the litters are considering my Mabel & Hattie are 25 months, and have no problems at all

Silver
09-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I think it's two different issues here.

For healthy tame long lived hamsters bred in a humane way Dave & his pet shop sound amazing & I would love to have a Dave near me to be honest.

But the other issue is

Goatie is looking to breed Winter Whites. If Goatie buys a Pure WW & buys a WW which may along the way been bred with a Campbell from Dave, Goatie is breeding a Hybrid Dwarf Hamster with a Pure Dwarf Hamster.

This is something that is not done ever knowingly because the NHC Exhibitors/Breeders keep the lines as pure. There are few enough of the pure dwarfs with out mixing the existing pure lines with Hybrids.

That is all that is meant, nothing against Dave or your Gorgeous Dwarfs.

Silver xxx

RachK
09-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I think it's two different issues here.

For healthy tame long lived hamsters bred in a humane way Dave & his pet shop sound amazing & I would love to have a Dave near me to be honest.

Silver xxx

Love that statement. lol :)

Silver
09-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Arhhhh

Your Welcome Rach & Gizmodo

Silver xxx

Goatie
09-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Hi I am sorry to have caused so much upset. I only wanted to get a pair of WWs. I would like them to be pedigree (if possible). I have e-mailed some breeders on the NHC breeders list to try and find some, but I have not had any replies. That is why I asked on the forum. I understand that some pet shops are not very good (But not all), so it is better to buy from breeders. However if you can not find a breeder then surly the next best thing to do is find a reputable pet shop. I like to think I am a responsible person and do my research first, but if breeders wont or cant help, then what else can I do.

Silver
09-23-2012, 11:43 AM
I have to disagree to the end bit.

Yes you are doing the right thing looking for two pedigree Dwarf hamsters to breed with. Brilliant in fact we need more people to breed pure Dwarf Hamsters in a humane way.

But

We have huge Rodent mill's, Pet shop's & lots of hobby breeders who breed Hybrid Dwarf hamsters, there really is no need for any more to be brought into this world.

Silver xxx

souffle
09-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Sometimes you have to ask to be put on a waiting list with breeders of pure WW. There really are not very many Goatie so the ones you have contacted just might not have any. I only know of two litters born in the Northern area this whole YEAR just to show how few people are breeding them so they are often snapped up very quickly.
Try contacting people from the midland and south and explain what you want to do and why you want to breed. They can often arrange a hamster train or you can collect from a Northern show but you need to be prepared to come to these and collect the hamsters as arranged.Really the reason to breed should be either to show or to further and improve the lines. Your pet show may well have pedigrees if you ask as any good breeder will keep records or else they would get in a right mix up! If you want pets then adopting from rescue or if there are none there buying from a pet shop is an excellent source of of a lovely pet in many circumstances.

Goatie
09-24-2012, 03:03 AM
O dear, I do seem to have put the cat among the pigeons. As I have said I have e-mailed breeders, but they have not e-mailed me back. Does this mean I am on a waiting list. I doubt it. If WW numbers are so low, would it not be a good idea to encourage sensible breeding to increase numbers. I no some of you think only people who show should breed, but as some people will breed no matter what, is it not better to give them help and advice. This way they may decide not to breed but thank you for your help. Or they may breed but you can be on hand if there is a problem. I have 6 long haired Syrians which yes I have bred. I have only every had 3 litters. All my babies were fit and healthy. I give them all to friends and family (free). I feel hamsters are very underrated and seen as a cheap kids pet. When in fact they make great pets for adults. I would love to convert everyone into a hamster lover. So come on you breeders/showers help we novices out. Who knows we just may end up beating you in the next show.

Silver
09-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Gotie,

This is why Souffle has suggested writing a email. Pure Dwarf hamsters are very protected by the NHC breeders for obvious reasons.

There are too few about. To keep the lines pure they have to be 100% certain you will also keep the lines pure.

The only way to do this is by email, writing your intentions of keeping them pure, why you want to breed, how you will breed, what conditions you are keeping them in & so on.

It is for you to show the NHC exhibitors/breeders you are a responsible breeder & not for the NHC Exhibitors/breeders to find this out about you.

Have you asked to be put onto a waiting list?. If not you have not been placed on one.

Another great option would be to meet the NHC Exhibitor/breeders at a show, introduce yourself, explain what you would like to do & in this way they can make there own minds up if they trust you will breed in a caring way keeping the pure lines pure.

I have just brought a pure Campbell girl from a NHC breeder. It took me two/three months to find her & I paid for a pet courier to get her to me. If you want Pure NHC Dwarf hamsters there is always a way, you just need to work at it

You have not upset me, not in the least I am pleased you are asking the questions instead of breeding pet shop hybrids like so many people do

Silver xxx