PDA

View Full Version : My Fishies

Vectis Hamstery
09-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I realised I have forgotten my fishies in my intros of the non-hamster Vectis crew. I have two small fish tanks (25 and 28 litres each) which have been running for over a year. It was a real headache and heartache to set the first up, but eventually a lovely friend gave me some of her filter media and I haven't had trouble since.

My first tank is in my living room. Until a week ago it held Hamlet, a blue betta (aka Siamese fighting fish) and Garfield, an apple snail.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1070398.jpg
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1090071.jpg
Unfortunately I found them both dead on Monday last week. I suspect Garfield died and because I found it hard to tell it affected the water quality. After a cleanout all the parameters were fine so three newbies moved in: a pinkky-purple betta called Ace Rimmer, and two zebra nerite snails called Cat and Kryten.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1140550.jpg http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1140555.jpg

The other tank is the larger one and is in my study. It holds Caesar, the dwarf gourami:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1090012.jpg
The Chorus, five neon tetras:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1090024.jpg
The Scarlet Pimpernel, a cherry bee shrimp:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1090006.jpg
and Rosencrantz and Gildernstern the zebra nerite snails
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1080976.jpg

billybobbs
09-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Stunning, I love the little cherry bee shrimp! Must take alot of time and care to keep the tanks clean.

Silver
09-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Vectis they are all beautiful.

I find it so calming just looking at pictures of fish & fish tanks. I am one day going to have a fish tank.

I adore the Betta fish they are so beautiful to look at & do not need a swimming pool to live in like a lot of fish do.

There is so much conflicting advice about a small tank like your 25 & 28l tanks. Most people saying they are hard to control the water, but I guess it's something you find out yourself when you start.

Thank You Vectis for the lovely pictures.

Silver xxx

Vectis Hamstery
09-09-2012, 01:51 PM
As they are small tanks, I prefer to understock and overfilter. That way I do a 25-33% water change every week and all's well. My 28L has the most fish in but still under 1cm of fully grown fish per 1L of water, and it has a filter capable of filtering 40L+ (and Ehiem aquaball which was recommended to me and I love it!). I would definitely recommend mature filter media from a friend as a way of establishing a tank as I did the fishless cycling and starting with low stocking and still struggled. Now they're set up, they are lovely and relaxing. I hadn't realised how individual fish can be - Bettas certainly have character and they suit 25L perfectly.

cathface
09-09-2012, 02:44 PM
oh hey I love fish tanks! understocking and overfiltering is the best way I find haha. my favourite is The Scarlet Pimpernel haha.

Vectis Hamstery
09-09-2012, 02:47 PM
He's called that as I seek him here, I seek him there .... I can't find the Pimpernel anywhere (until he pops up unexpectedly). I enjoyed the book and was reminded of it when looking for my little shrimpy guy!

Silver
09-10-2012, 12:23 AM
I have read a lot about the Aquaball filter. Do you have the first small size or the next one up?.

Yes it would be a lot easier if I knew someone who has some media to help the tank cycle. I am concidering this for next year when I just have Amy. Will see how I get on with one ham first.

I've read that the Betta's have a big personality!.

Silver xxx

Hope
09-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I love fish tanks, they are so relaxing, I can look at them for hours and they always make me feel so clam. I know what a pain they can be to get right though so I will probably never have one myself but I am always very appreciative of other peoples! :)

cathface
09-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Silver, just wanted to say that I had two Aquaballs (one old type, one new), used (given to me for free by a lovely member of a goldie forum) and they are incredible! Noiseless and powerful and I love that you can add your own filter material just by adding a new compartment. I can't speak any more highly of them. :D

Silver
09-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Thank's Cath,

I think for me being disabled a small tank with a good quiet filter & heater like the Aquaball's is the way to go with a male Betta.

Silver xxx

cathface
09-12-2012, 02:29 AM
I actually think Aquaballs may be a little too powerful for a betta tank, unless you're planning on having like a 60 litre tank for it. even a small Classica one (I think it went max 220lph) was a little strong unless I added a spray bar attachment! and this was in a 35l tank. I've currently now got a hang-on filter so it's like a wee waterfall, really soothing and also silent (unless you let the water level drop too much, then you can hear the returning water hit the surface), which is also Eheim - the Liberty - only available from Zooplus, that I've seen!

Silver
09-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Thank You Cath,

I have not decided on which tank to get, there are so many!

Aqua Start 320 28L
Aqua Start 340 40L
Super fish 40 25L
Juwel Vio 30L
Marina Style 35 35L I like the shape of this would not use the filter though. Not sure if you could change the light if it blew.

It just goes on!

Sounds like the Aqua ball would be too much so will now search for the Eheim Liberty at Zooplus. Sounds lovely

Thank You

Edit,

The filter look's great will read up more on it to see how you maintain it/clean it. But with that type of filter the hang on one I would need the Arcadia Arc or Fluva Ebi tank as you could not put it in a tank with a lid.

More research to do lol

Silver xxx

alanjamesblair
09-12-2012, 02:54 AM
There are a lot of options to be sure. Best do your research. When I first got into aquariums back in the late nineties, they weren't so popular but then they took off in the early 2000s. Many people wanted to sell me expensive set-up deals that were MUCH cheaper when I priced up the separate elements. Not sure what the trade is like in the UK, but in the US any pet store will sell you a multitude of filter types, aquarium shapes, fish that have been exploited, etc. Do some digging, but if you can raise a hamster, you can set up an aquarium. Just remember that just like the hamster world, there are a lot of people trying to sell you things that are more for the human and for profit than for the animal (like those stupid hobby-store "hamster cages").

Also, just like hamsters, aquariums require patience, like Silver is exhibiting, and a bit of money. But it's worth it.

Best!

Cookie Monster
09-12-2012, 03:08 AM
I LOVE the names of your newbies :D

Silver
09-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Thank's Alan,

I will be wear of the fish shop's I guessed they would be a little out on there info because of what I have learned about Hamsters & pet shops.

I learned my patients with a little dwarf hamster called Mandy.

But that is a whole other story LOL

Silver xxx

cathface
09-12-2012, 04:11 AM
ooh yes forgot to mention that the hang on filter would need an open top! I've got the Arcadia Arc 35l and I do love it - the curvy glass at the front corners is lovely! I got mine from Charterhouse Aquatics a year or so ago for only like £45, including the Classica filter I was on before and a light that's quite good for plants if you want to do some aquascaping! there was a deal on it that somehow made the 35l cheaper than the 20l lol. I'm not sure if the deal is still on now but it's worth having a look, if you want the Arcadia Arc! free next day delivery too :D

Silver
09-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Thank You Cath

I will do more researching \\:D/

Silver xxx

vanilla-yazoo
09-12-2012, 05:14 AM
awww gorgeous fish!!! :D
as you know, its a mad house of fish
we have two tanks of fantails (7 in one 6 in the other, both also have algae eaters) (120 liters)
two tanks of cichilids (190 liter and 120 liter)
a tank of tropical (90 liter)
one fighter, prince (no idea XD)
and my sisters guppies (nothing to do with me! 30 litre tank i think it was)

I love fish! so relaxing!! I love watching my two tanks in the bedroom, they help me to relax after a long day at work lol!

two of our tanks (soon 3) have the external filters, they are really good, keep the tank really clean and then you dont need a big black brick in there XD they are expensive so only the big tanks have them in this house. we use a fluval 200 on the 2nd fantail tank (the one we are swapping for an external) and a fluvel and random one on the 2nd cichilid tank, as they like to be overcrowded rather then under, so double filtered.
we take 2 buckets out the 120 litre tanks, about 10-20% of the water, with a siphon so it cleans the gravel, then top up with medicated water. I find the algae eaters are brilliant, the tanks that have them stay so clean :D

Vectis Hamstery
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
One of my tanks is the fluval chi (25l) which has a trickle filter that looks like a little fountain. It doesn't cause a current which is great for my betta. The aquaball does cause a current even at the lowers setting and directed at the wall of the tank so I agree it wouldn't be great for a betta. I have used a stingray which seemed ok for a betta. The other tank is an aqua start 320. It was second hand and the light fitting was rusted so I removed it and replaced it with waterproof LED strips which are great. I also use LED strips for the chi as the integral light broke and it is so expensive to replace.

GemmasMom
09-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Your fish are beautiful!!! :) I think fish are awesome, and you have quite a lovely crew!

I loved my beta, Luke! He was pinky-purple like Ace Rimmer with blue tips of his fins. He would swim with excitement and stare at me while I did my schoolwork in college. His death has a sad story, though... it was getting cold out, so I figured I'd give him warmer water as a treat. I guess I was thinking that I like warm showers/baths when it gets cold. Well.... guess it was way too warm b/c I looked at him a few minutes later and he was floating :'( We buried him in the graveyard at the college...

Silver
09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear about Luke.

The Aquastart 320 is on my list of research tank's & I will now add the Fluval Chi to the list lol

Silver xxx