PDA

View Full Version : Long Overdue

HammieandMerlin
09-08-2012, 11:08 PM
I started reading this forum when my first Syrian (well first since I was 4), Sheldon, got sick with an unidentified hormonal disease. He passed away before I began posting on here, and at the time I was too emotionally messed up to write about it, but it had now been 6 months to the day and I really feel he deserves a proper memorial (I know it's overdue but sometimes....stuff happens)

Sheldon was my longest standing roommate, and lived with me through two horrific housing situations (mine, not his haha). The days when I was too terrified to leave my room, he would share carrots or eggs with me, to get me through. He was the only hamster I've ever seen who would sit in one spot on my lap for the duration of Pride and Prejudice, and only sleep for a few minutes. He was also the only hamster I've seen who was somehow capable of shoving textbooks out of the way to get out of his tank.

He was with me for almost two years, but his last few months were slower. All I will say about those times were that no matter how tired, he always came out to see me before I went to bed, and on his last night, I somehow knew, and he came out and I held him and talked to him for the last 8 hours, where he just sort of slept until he felt certain that I'd be ok.

I didn't know how hard I would grieve and how gutted I would feel - and still do, sometimes - but there have been few things I have missed in my life as much as I miss him. As dumb as it sounds, he was always there for me, during what were some of the worst months of my life, he was my light, and I like to think he somehow understood that, because I always called him my main man.

So there you go baby, I told the best hamster community all about you, who would have thought half a year could go by and I would still be writing this crying. You're missed every single day, and my only regret was that we didn't have more time together, because you would have loved the place I'm in now, no more roommates <3

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/sheldon.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/IMG_0523.jpg
running with his mouth full, so typical

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/sheldon3.jpg
sat on his bum to drink, but later on slowly broke his water bottle so that the spout pointed towards his nest so he didn't need to move

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/sheldonprofile.jpg
my baby, then and always

Well there is the Sheldon I have mentioned so much, again I hope you don't mind that it was posted late instead of right after, it just felt right doing it today.

"I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you...long long live" <3

chulasweetchica
09-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Awh...........he is soo adorable~its so hard losing our little babys,I know I just lost my sweet little Alice who was always there when I needed someone,she was there~ I got more to help the emptyness and it really has helped me.

September
09-08-2012, 11:44 PM
I know what you mean about days you were to scared to leave your room, and how much it helps to have a buddy in there with you. When I was younger I had snickers, my dwarf hamster, and he was the same way as your sheldon.

So sorry for your loss.

njwilde
09-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Sleep well, Sheldon, you sounded like an utterly adorable little fella. I hope you and my lost babies will have fun together at the bridge.

HammieandMerlin
09-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys, you're all very kind

de4life
09-09-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, you clearly had a very special bond with this little guy. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful little life, and I have no doubt he knew just how much you loved him.

HammieandMerlin
09-09-2012, 08:12 AM
thanks a lot, I think that bond started the day I met him at the pet store, he was so incredibly friendly to me, and when I came back the next day the woman at the store said he'd taken bites out of four people that showed up after :P I was like, yup he's gonna be mine

de4life
09-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Some hams are just destined to be part of our lives, and Sheldon was definitely meant to be with you :)

Bright_moon
09-09-2012, 09:28 AM
*sniffle* :( that was a lovely memorial to Sheldon. Sometimes our world falls apart when we lose our furbabies doesn't it. :( you had such a lovely bond with him and gave him a wonderful life and were there for him at the end too, which I know from personal experience is of comfort to them.

The Hamster's family
09-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm in tears right as I can relate to these hard times you had... Hope he keeps taking care of you although he ain't next to you...

All the best to you for the future, it's one of the most beautiful memorial I've read and he must be smiling down at you...

Sweett kisses to you...

xxxxx

HammieandMerlin
09-09-2012, 09:55 PM
thank you both so much. Honestly, no memorial could do him justice, but I needed to share his wonderful story

gutterglitterxx
09-09-2012, 10:23 PM
This is such a lovely tribute to an obviously amazing hamster.

I actually just started crying myself while reading it. I lost my Fluffy at the end of February and I was absolutely devastated. I cried off and on for days and didn't think it would ever stop hurting. I guess in some ways it never has, but I can now think of her with a smile on my face instead of just tears in my eyes. It's amazing how close we can get to these little animals. Right now I'm looking at Cheeto thinking "My gosh, I love her!"

Sheldon obviously had a wonderful home with you and he is now keeping watch over you from the bridge. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Play well and sleep tight, Sheldon. xxxx

Flamestriker
09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Aww so sorry for your loss. It's awful when our hammies pass because they become our best friends. I am sure Sheldon will play a part in you getting another ham to share in the love he had when the time is right for you.

Play well at the bridge little one

GhostsInSnow
09-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Awwwh he was such a gorgeous boy and you obviously had a very close special bond with each other. And I'm sure you gave him the best life that any hammie could possibly wish for
I'm so sorry for your loss

HammieandMerlin
09-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Thank you so much. This forum helped a lot in the healing process because I got to read about other people's lives with their little ones, and at the time I still had both hiccup and toothless. I think I was able to take an extra step towards Boo when I was finally able to stop blaming myself for Sheldon's genetics (you know, doesn't matter what the science says, everyone blames themselves) and she has without a doubt mended most of that hole by bringing her individualism to light, allowing me to have Sheldon's memory fondly with me all the time

Pompompoms
09-10-2012, 04:23 PM
A beautiful tribute, it's never too late to tell us all about how special a little one has been. Sheldon was so lovely, and clearly a very special ham. He'll have left his little paw prints on your heart forever xx

HammieandMerlin
09-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Pompompoms ... just... thanks <3

Lynternette
09-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Its a beautiful memorial and I can see its straight from your heart. I can't stop the tears looking at Sheldon's photos. He was so beautiful.

A new life for you now Sheldon. Sleep tight and run free little one. xxx

souffle
09-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Never to late to remember a little one.
So sorry to hear of your loss but lovely to see he is remembered so loveingly:(
Play well at the bridge Sheldon