PDA

View Full Version : Stray pup

September
08-27-2012, 05:24 AM
A stray puppy showed up in my yard this morning. A little girl, I think she's probably a lab mix. I put an ad on craigslist, and am drawing up flyers right now. I'm calling her Piper :)

Pics!
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii482/southerngirl061/stray001.jpg http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii482/southerngirl061/stray002.jpg

Ramyun Noodles
08-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Aw, are you going to keep her if she's not a lost pet?

September
08-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm considering it ;) Buuuut my neighbor recently lost his 12ish year old lab, so I'm gonna ask him if he wants her.

racinghamster
08-27-2012, 08:52 AM
She looks like a Lab cross and has the look of a black labrador, but she`s a pretty little dog. :) She must belong to somebody but finding the owners can be difficult. Do you have a dog warden or a local authority shelter who take in strays? If she`s not microchipped or has an ID on her, I would either hold onto her to see if anyone comes forward to claim her within 48 hours, or I would contact your local authorities who deal with lost dogs. Although that depends on how you feel they handle situations like this and if you feel they would euthanse her if her owners were not found, then it may be best to keep her safe until you can decide what`s best for her.

She looks like she`s asking for some dinner in the second photo! :mad:

September
08-27-2012, 09:14 AM
They won't take her in. Hahaha, apologies in advance for the rant that I'm about to go on.

As my avatar thing says, I'm located in Alabama. Let me tell you something about rural Alabama-None of the authorities are worth the air they breathe. Not hospitals, not police, definitely not animal control.
Hospitals-My grandma went to the hospital the day before she died and told them something was wrong with her. The doctor did a half assed exam, and then told the nurse, right in front of my grandma that he hadn't had one real patient that day. The next morning my grandma was found dead in her bed.
Police-A couple days ago, there was a driveby shooting right outside my house, and the cops were called by about three different people. They never showed up. The last two nights, we've had someone prowling in the backyard. The cops won't do anything about it. My mom, my brother and I got into a huge fight, and for once the cops showed up. They looked me right in my black eye and cussed me out for making them have to get off their lazy behinds and come 'investigate'. I was 14 at the time.
Animal Control-I was bitten by a GSD down the street, and we called them to come make the owners keep the dog out of the street and on their property. They never came.The shelter around here doesn't take in volunteers, or animals for that matter. They just want the state funding.

Having been raised around here, I have a serious problem with authority figures. Not a single one of them is ever worth anything. At least not in Alabama. I can not stand people!!!!

End rant lol. Again, sorry. :/

Ramyun Noodles
08-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Whatever you do, please do not surrender or turn her into a kill-shelter! Google "labrador rescues" and someone will help if you can't take care of her.

Lost pets are given less than a week before they're killed, a short time-frame for someone to come forward and claim the dog. Most surrenders are killed the SAME day because there's no room in the shelter and they don't have to wait for anyone to claim the dog.

September
08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Of course not! I don't know that I'll keep her.. Mom said okay, but she'd have to live outside. I don't know yet if I'm okay with that. But we do have a dog house in the shed that I could put on the porch, and I've already put her some food and water out there. And she could come in if it got too hot/cold. I don't know yet if my neighbor got the note I left on his door. Now I just have to wait the pre requite two weeks, and then she'll belong to someone on this block! lol

PezPus
08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
aww! shes lovely!
Hope u find a good home for her :D

September
08-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Thanks! :)

racinghamster
08-28-2012, 03:25 AM
That`s great that you are holding onto her for the time being September and I sympathise with your stance on the morons who are supposed to be in authority. It`s sounds as if you make your own laws around your area and probably rightly so if the law disrespects you. Let us know how you get on.

Poptart
08-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Shes adorable! Good luck finding her home.

Sorry that your towns authoritys arent all the great

September
08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Well, Piper seems to have adopted us :) So far, she's 'chased off' the garbage truck, my moms car, and the lil old lady who walks down the road. Props to the lil old lady too. I'd have been scared if a dog came barking at me, but she just petted piper when she reached her. And then piper begged for a belly rub, lol

racinghamster
08-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Now is the time to be teaching her some rules though because being young, she will need that or she will do what dogs do and could become unruly and a bit mad! The last thing you want is a car chasing, barking loon on your hands!Walking on a lead, obeying simple commands and most of all, having the time and commitment to put the work in! In he US you have Cesar Millan, so I recommend reading his books or better still, try and watch some of his DVD`s as these can be so useful when looking at dog phsycology (very different from treats and training). You may have to look at having her speyed aswell.

September
08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
I've been working on getting her trained, and so far she knows sit, no, and touch. Basic, but progress :)