PDA

View Full Version : Buying at a show

Louby
04-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I am now under no illusions that I am going to be able to resist a hammy purchase this weekend at Monmouth. :oops:

So....

What is the best way of bringing her home with me? Should I buy one of these carrier thingys, or is it better for me to bring her cage all ready to go, and pop her straight in when we get back to the car?

I want the least stressful way obviously, but as we have a 1hr 45min drive home, I want to make sure that I am prepared, and that she is as comfortable as possible.

I_am_plankton
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Some people take their own carriers which they have pre-empted buying a hamster, but if not then the breeders provide you with a very sturdy plastic tub with air holes to transport them home in which I have always found to be sufficient :) Poppy was in one for about 4 hours when I bought her to getting her home and she was fine :)

Louby
04-14-2008, 01:51 PM
That is handy! :D

Means I don't have to look like a wally taking a cage with me, just incase I don't come home with one. Well...not that it is likely! :wink:

Thankyou!

I_am_plankton
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
It's good because if you go along and buy on a whim it's OK because you don't get a rubbish transport box :) Everything is sold at the show too from cages to food :D

Louby
04-14-2008, 01:55 PM
See..how can you NOT come home with another hammy with every necessity covered?!?! :lol:

I consider it beyond my control to resist. I am only human! :D

I_am_plankton
04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
See..how can you NOT come home with another hammy with every necessity covered?!?! :lol:

I consider it beyond my control to resist. I am only human! :D

Lol I have the necessities but not the space for anymore :( I have 7 already but would like about 20 lol!

Louby
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Well, I have Alvin, another one hopefully on the way soon :wink: , so a Monmouth purchase would only bring me to 3.

See....I NEED more... :D

I_am_plankton
04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Hehe you will probably get there Lou! What will you be wearing/look like so we know who to look out for?

Louby
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
I am 5ft 3 and a bit...shoulder length light brown hair, and i'll be wearing Jeans and a Black Shirt. Depending on the weather, I may have a long black coat on.

I will be walking around with a man with glasses with a 'not another hamster Louise' expression on his face. Possibly being made to carry numerous hamsters that I have already fallen in love with and bought! :wink:

Sue knows me as Alvin is a Bourne Valley Ham.

Oh, and we may have my 3 year old in tow too...even though he looks more like a 5 year old!

Maybe we should all wear name badges with our usernames on?? :wink:

Mollz
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Hehe you will probably get there Lou! What will you be wearing/look like so we know who to look out for?

Yep it will be nice to see you, and obviously your new hamster too (and Alvin if you are bringing him along).

The boxes provided on the sales table are good, but I always bring carriers for mine (don't know why though!). I also always take an extra carrier along to every show I go to (whether I intend on getting a new hammy or not), just in case I fall in love with a baby :D

Louby
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm going to leave Alvin at home for this show, but I will probably bring him to Gatcombe.

Which carriers do you use Molly? I might buy one ready for carrying Alvin along.

Mollz
04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
They look like this: http://www.petcentreonline.co.uk/ecomme ... ladino.jpg (http://www.petcentreonline.co.uk/ecommerce/ProdImages/aladino.jpg)

Although anything is fine - and I wan't saying not to use the ones they provide, I was just saying that I don't!

I am REALLY looking forward to Monmouth; especially meeting up with people I already know and getting to know people I don't (and picking up mum's ham and maybe getting one myself :D ).

Louby
04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Do you still have your eyes on Sues Rex? :wink:

Mollz
04-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Very much so!

Bunsey
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
i take my own carrier, just one of those ones they sell in pets at home as a small animal carrier. as i only show one or two hams, i take them in carriers... so when i bought Oscar on a whim, i just put him in paddy's carrier and Pads had to come home in his show pen :lol:

Louby
04-14-2008, 02:34 PM

Very much so!

Thought so...Sue is bringing a SH BEC little girl for me to look at, so we can ponder together!

What time does everyone tend to get there?

Mollz
04-14-2008, 02:37 PM

Very much so!

Thought so...Sue is bringing a SH BEC little girl for me to look at, so we can ponder together!

What time does everyone tend to get there?

That'll be nice!

As it is a large open show, you need to get there for 9:30am to get in for free - otherwise you have to pay.

Louby
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh good. I'm so excited (its my first show) so getting up early and driving up (or down...not sure..I'll rely on Mapquest! :wink: ) will be helpful, as I doubt i'll get much sleep really! :D

Bunsey
04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
i always try to get to these shows at 9:30am to get in free, but i've been late every time and had to pay! At Thame i got lost and got there at 10:30am! i was driving around in circles for an hour! Who knew i had to go towards Swindon and then turn back :roll: i went roaring off in the direction of the M40 and couldn't get on it!! the road i was on just went underneath! :lol:

yes i can read maps :oops:

Matty Day
04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
well i stop myself with my finances I only earn 50 quid a week when I work that’s for 10 hours in a chip shop I control myself by keeping weekly hamster expenses below a tenner. that’s how I control myself tough this summer i might work for 8 weeks no stop to fill up the coffers to the hilt.

my trouble is also I am extravagant although im cold hearted normally with weekly budgets when I go out I spend like there’s no tomorrow I blew 40 hours wages in 1 night once :shock:

I also never bank anything its far to easy to go to the cash point my trick is I keep as much money as poss. in goods.

Louby
04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I am terrible at finding places, and my driving is affectionatley known as a 'Magical Mystery Tour'. Strap yourself in, and just know that we will find where we need to be sometime....somehow....

I quite like seeing areas that I would otherwise have missed! :D

When we went to collect Alvin from Sue, we saw loads of lovely countryside that we would have missed if I had known where I was going! :wink:

Bunsey
04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
well i stop myself with my finances I only earn 50 quid a week when I work that’s for 10 hours in a chip shop I control myself by keeping weekly hamster expenses below a tenner. that’s how I control myself tough this summer i might work for 8 weeks no stop to fill up the coffers to the hilt.

my trouble is also I am extravagant although im cold hearted normally with weekly budgets when I go out I spend like there’s no tomorrow I blew 40 hours wages in 1 night once :shock:

I also never bank anything its far to easy to go to the cash point my trick is I keep as much money as poss. in goods.

i'm rubbish with money. it's a good job you aren't my OH or you'd murder me :lol:
I worked for 6 months contract earning £900 a month (v. high wage for stoke) and i said i'd save some for when i was unemployed, but i blew the lot and had nothing. I spent loads on things like takeaways, going out etc. that i didn't need. then at the end of it i was up the creek without a tenner to paddle with :oops:

Bunsey
04-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I am terrible at finding places, and my driving is affectionatley known as a 'Magical Mystery Tour'. Strap yourself in, and just know that we will find where we need to be sometime....somehow....

I quite like seeing areas that I would otherwise have missed! :D

When we went to collect Alvin from Sue, we saw loads of lovely countryside that we would have missed if I had known where I was going! :wink:

i'm exactly the same!
when we were in Blackpool we attempted to go to the zoo, but instead spent the whole day driving round and gave up. the next day i found it in just 2 hours. yey me! only about 8 hours of searching in total :lol:

I have to leave hours before the shows and am always the one running in with poor paddy clinging for his life in the show pen stressing that we've missed the closing time :oops:

Mollz Mum
04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I can't wait till Saturday, as I get to take home my first hammy.

I don't remember discussing you having another one Molly? LOL :lol:

Does that mean we're thinking of bringing two home then?

Also looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone.

I think the idea of wearing badges is great - I really struggle to keep up with everyone's user names and matching them to real people! - Molly is constantly having to remind me who's who - I guess it's just my age (well that's my excuse anyway) :? .

Bourne Valley Hams
04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I think the idea of wearing badges is great - I really struggle to keep up with everyone's user names and matching them to real people! - Molly is constantly having to remind me who's who - I guess it's just my age (well that's my excuse anyway) :? .

Well if you are using age as an excuse Emma then everyone had better forgive me for getting mixed up as I obviously don't stand a chance!! :lol:

Mollz Mum
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, at least we know who each other are Sue (and can match them up to user names) - that's two 'ticks' for us more mature individuals!

Bunsey
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
i tend to find out afterwards who people are! like now i know who Moosley, Mollz and Mollz mum are from the photo, but i had no clue on the day!

Mollz Mum
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
i tend to find out afterwards who people are! like now i know who Moosley, Mollz and Mollz mum are from the photo, but i had no clue on the day!

What Photo??

I don't remember any photo's being taken in the igloo :lol:
It can't be very flattering.

And now you have one over on me Bunsey, cos I don't know who you were/are - clues please!!

Bunsey
04-14-2008, 03:36 PM
oh, there's one of Thame somewhere. i didn't take it myself, but you and Mollz are by the sales table and someone pointed you out. It's from a distance, so you can't see you in detail. I was wearing a brown padded coat and stupid hat that i bought on the day! :lol: