PDA

View Full Version : Substrate for a rabbit run?

Queen Of The High Teas
08-21-2012, 03:54 AM
I put bark wood chips in my rabbit run as a floor covering but it's not working. I thought it would look pretty like those play areas in parks, but it the opposite. It's constantly wet and too dense to dry out so it's all mixed up into the straw, hay and rabbit mess and looks awful. As its right under the kitchen window and where visitors pass, it's not ideal. I'm gonna pull it all out but I don't know what to put in its place. The actual surface of the ground under it is soil and rock. Grass won't work as it'll get eaten to quick and it'll then look just as bad. I want something sweepout-able so it can be easily replaced, (another problem with the bark is its too heavy to be easily swept up). Would hemp bedding or hemacore work? This would sweep up easy and could just be replaced when it gets too bad. I know it's coarser than Aubiose, but rabbits are bigger than hamsters so it shouldn't effect the. Any scent in it shouldn't do any harm either as it will be out in the open air. Anyone use it for rabbits? Or can recommend anything else?

Lil Miss
08-21-2012, 04:18 AM
have shredded paper and straw in mine, and i have them covered with tarps so they dont get soggy and wet

Schofield
08-22-2012, 09:18 AM
You could put some stable matting down and litter trays with hay in it. They tend to sit in the trays and do their business in there while eating so is usually fairly straight forward. If you sweep the matting daily then it wont get messy