PDA

View Full Version : My Miracle, Merlin

HammieandMerlin
08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I realized that I have not formally introduced my other amazing pets (they would be shocked and appalled)!

So without further ado, I introduce Merlin, my movie watching rescue chinchilla. We have had him for almost a year and a half, and it has been a constant uphill battle. He was in a plastic guinea pig cage without chews, levels or a dust bath along with 4 other chins! Ugh, and the most appalling part is that he was given rabbit food for that entire time (which absolutely riddles the liver). Needless to say he was a mess, but I fell in love with the little dirty ball of fur who had no name.

He used to scream all night, and hide if you came into the room, and today, he hums when I come home and sits at the corner of the cage nearest the door until I press my nose to the cage for a bump from his. He became my baby, because he bonded with me as his chinchilla friend, as I later learned from people with more experience than I. And now, PICTURES!

First, a before and after shot
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/merlinbeforeandafter.jpg

What I mean by him waiting for me lol
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/merlinapril11.jpg

Who needs a parrot?
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/MerlinFeb1.jpg

Oh!Hello!
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/Merlinchristmas.jpg

noms
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/merlinchristmas6.jpg

:3

Stockannette
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Oooo, Merlin, you are beautiful!

HammieandMerlin
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
bahaha I just said "Merlin, someone thinks you're puurrrrrrdy" and he did the famous chinchilla nose wipe lmao, as if to say "thanks, but I know"

sully
08-15-2012, 01:01 PM
He is beautiful!

purple_x
08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
He is a little stunner.
Oh I want him!!

Give him a cuddle from me :D

Knotty
08-15-2012, 01:25 PM
What an absolute cutie!!

HammieandMerlin
08-15-2012, 01:52 PM
thanks everyone :) I just had him out and showed him your lovely compliments, and this is what he typed back:

"wksoz']/17..........c"

it's code for something

Hope
08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
He is gorgeous :)

Hats off to you for putting in the effort with him, you have done such a great job, he looks so happy and contented now.

HammieandMerlin
08-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks Hope : ) The change in him has been huge, I'm so happy it shows

Mikayla
08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
He's such a pretty boy!! My babies wave!

However, I did want to point out that not all rabbit food is bad (At least not in the US). As long as it doesn't have 'bad' ingredients and has the correct nutritional percentages it's fine. Most breeders/ranchers and a good chunk of pet owners feed rabbits food :)

HammieandMerlin
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Problem is though, is when you're feeding it to them to cut costs, you're not gonna be buying the ok stuff lol, you know? Good rabbit food costs more than Oxbow chin food. I have heard there are safer ones in the US, but my general confusion is why would you, you know? Especially in the US where chin food's cheaper lol but yeah I know what you mean, it's just the rule up here is that it's horrifically detrimental

Mikayla
08-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Problem is though, is when you're feeding it to them to cut costs, you're not gonna be buying the ok stuff lol, you know? Good rabbit food costs more than Oxbow chin food. I have heard there are safer ones in the US, but my general confusion is why would you, you know? Especially in the US where chin food's cheaper lol but yeah I know what you mean, it's just the rule up here is that it's horrifically detrimental

Rabbit food is easily accessible in bulk, so you don't have to pay shipping costs. I feed it to cut costs, and it's a good food. My rabbit food is pretty popular among rescues and breeders here (Purina Rabbit Show Chow Natural AdvantEdge) and it's much cheaper than Oxbow. Oxbow is ridiculously overpriced.

Well I don't think its horrible detrimental and I think that's horrible that people are saying that when its untrue.

HammieandMerlin
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm not saying what you're feeding is necessarily detrimental. You're in the US, and where I live they don't carry that brand of rabbit food, so I don't know what the info on that is, because it's rather irrelevant when it's not available here. The rabbit food that is here is not at all suitable for chins, and that is the only point I was making, as his vet exams showed the damage as proof. It's not an untrue fact, unfortunately. Again, to be clear, I am not saying the food you're using is bad, I'm simply saying the food here is, and I didn't say it in my initial post to start anything, it was just one of the things which lead to his problems that he has gotten over, and I just wanted this thread to showcase his victories.

HammieandMerlin
09-08-2012, 10:44 PM
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/sweetlilrocknroll_1959/merlinseptember.jpg

Merlin decided he wanted to play around tonight like everyone else, and I just loved his expression <3

racinghamster
09-10-2012, 02:31 AM
What an adorable little man he is and WELL DONE for being a great mum to him. :) Rescue animals are so rewarding and I wouldn`t look anywhere else for a pet. They deserve a decent life. You have done so well with Merlin. x

Edited to add: I also agree with you about the diet Hammieandmerlin. Chins (at least in the UK) are best fed on a non-molassed pelletted diet as far as I`m aware and good quality hay.

Mikayla
09-10-2012, 06:08 AM
What an adorable little man he is and WELL DONE for being a great mum to him. :) Rescue animals are so rewarding and I wouldn`t look anywhere else for a pet. They deserve a decent life. You have done so well with Merlin. x

Edited to add: I also agree with you about the diet Hammieandmerlin. Chins (at least in the UK) are best fed on a non-molassed pelletted diet as far as I`m aware and good quality hay.

I am so close to slamming my head against the desk right now. I hate to sound like another member on here, but I'm pretty damn sure I know what I'm talking about. And where in God's name did you get that my rabbit pellets have molasses? Chin food is better looked at by ingredients rather than brand. And as much as you think you know everything, you don't. We've already agreed that rabbit feeds are probably different in the UK, I was just saying that saying that ALL rabbit feeds are bad in wrong.

GhostsInSnow
09-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Awwwwh he's gorgeous!!!!
A very handsome Chin :D