PDA

View Full Version : James Wellbeloved Dog/Ferret food

Noodles
04-13-2008, 07:17 AM
I went toy and treat shopping today and while I was there, I found some free samples of James Wellbeloved food.

I used to give JW to my dog and thought it was really good - she was quite poorly towards the end and her appetite went but she loved this food. I also read on here that someone (Borett??) gives their ham a bit of the cat food one SO I picked up a puppy and a ferret sample (no cat ones available!)

Do you think I could give Noodles bits of these? I wouldn't give it often but thought she might enjoy it as a treat.

The puppy one is Turkey and Rice Kibble (Ingredients; Rice, turkey meal, oats, potato protein, turkey fat, whole linseed, turkey gravy, alfalfa, natural seaweed, sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, D-L Mehioine, lysine hydrochloride, threonine, zinc methionate)

The ferret one says that it is 36% protein and high fat so I wasn't sure, as I know ferrets have a different diet to hams - raw meat and stuff... (but hey it was free so worth asking you I thought!!!)
The ingredients are; Turkey meat meal, ground whole wheat, turkey fat, white fish meal, turkey gravy, natural potato protein, sugar beet pulp, full fat linseed, vitamins and minerals, manno oligosaccharides and extract of yucca.

The puppy ones feel about the size of a pea but flat and the ferret ones are a little bigger.

Thanks!

Spuds Mum
04-13-2008, 11:17 AM
They should be fine, in very small doses (especially the ferret one with such a high protein level)

Mine often have a couple of cat or dog 'kibble' biscuits as a treat and really enjoy them - James Wellbeloved is a great food, you are right.

As I said I would give them as a treat only, but hey - others may feel differently :D

Noodles
04-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for that - I would def. only give as a rare treat (her basic diet is Harry Hamster which she seems to like and I am happy with)- just as a "dry" change to baby food and veggies! but I didn't want to give her any at all before I checked it wasn't harmful.

sarahh
04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi I used to give 2 of my females a few cat biscuits very occassionally. When I used to clean them out they used to be in the cat dish before I could get them in the ball lol and were helping themselves.

Don't think any of our current hams have had cat biscuits.

babyboos
04-16-2008, 06:05 PM
I have given these free samples to hamsters before - our ferrets get only pure meat diets and the dogs didn't really like theirs, and to be honest the hamsters weren't too keen either.

Noodles
04-17-2008, 12:56 AM
It's funny you should say that - Noodles seemed very unimpressed indeed! She dropped it on the floor and ignored it and then eventually shoved it in her food pile!!!

She did however absolutely love the baby rice I got her - thanks Mollz!!

Mollz
04-17-2008, 01:04 PM
She did however absolutely love the baby rice I got her - thanks Mollz!!
I'm glad she liked it too! I had to let you all know after seeing how mine reacted to it :D

Moosley
04-18-2008, 04:42 AM
I use the JW ferret food (and some cat biscuits) as a base meal for my Opossum and so the hamsters all get a biscuit or two as a treat now and then, they love it!